Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As part of its generative AI push, Apple is expected to feature tight integration between Siri and the Messages app in iOS 18. We won't have a fuller idea about how that will work until Apple previews its next major software update at WWDC in June, but in the meantime, Google has just announced its own equivalent feature for Android.

gemini-google-messages.jpg

In an update for the beta version of Google Messages arriving this week, users will be able to interact with Google's Gemini chatbot (previously called "Bard") right inside the app, where it can help to draft messages, brainstorm ideas, plan events, or simply allow for a "fun conversation." Google says the feature is only available to English-language Messages users for now.

Android Auto is also getting an AI assistant that can automatically summarize long texts or busy group chats while users are driving. It will also suggest relevant replies and actions that users can tap once to send a message, share their ETA, or start a call. We have not heard rumors mention AI in relation to CarPlay, so whether or not Apple has similar features in the works is unknown.

iOS 18 and iPadOS 18 will include a "slew of new AI features," according to a recent report by Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. The report claims Apple is training both Siri and Spotlight search on large language models, with the goal of improving each feature's ability to answer complex questions accurately. The revamped version of Spotlight could also offer deeper integration with "specific" functions and features in apps.

Gurman says that one of the tentpole AI features Apple is developing is an improved interaction between Siri and the Messages app, which would let Siri auto-complete sentences more effectively and answer complex questions. Apple has also explored AI-powered features that would allow users to automatically generate playlists in Apple Music and presentation slides in the Keynote app. Some new AI features announced later on in the year could well be exclusive to iPhone 16 models, which are rumored to get a "significantly" upgraded Neural Engine.

According to the latest data from TF International Securities, Apple's weekly smartphone sales in the Chinese market have declined by 30-40% in recent weeks, which is said to be partly due to rival Chinese smartphones already offering generative AI features of their own.

Article Link: Would You Let Siri Help to Write Your Messages?

Last edited:

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I would simply like Siri to be able to understand my accent so I can dictate a message. I'm not asking for much here...

Alexa, Copilot, Gemini, and Chat-GPT can understand me really well. Alexa is impressive as it can understand my strong accent even when I'm whispering!

But yeah, I'd be happy to use Siri-GPT as long as it doesn't suck. We'll see how it goes.

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020
Hell no!
That's going to far...
I mean, it's getting dystopian.

If I could decide, I would make so that any image, text, photo or audio shared anywhere had to show an AI sort of logo to let people know what they are seeing/hearing is AI made, no matter if it's 100% or 1% AI.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
It looks like it will make communications even more instantaneous. This is not what we want.

If you reply instantly you will be expected to reply instantly and whether its your boss or your partner the moment you don't it becomes trouble. You are then a slave to notifications.

Always wait at least a few minutes before sending a reply to a message

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
It looks like it will make communications even more instantaneous. This is not what we want.

If you reply instantly you will be expected to reply instantly and whether its your boss or your partner the moment you don't it becomes trouble. You are then a slave to notifications.

Always wait at least a few minutes before sending a reply to a message
Exactly.... I sent a three-minute funny video to a friend the other day and, literally as soon as I sent it, he replied "hahahhaha!". I know he didn't have time to watch the full video! I hope it wasn't Bard or something replying lol.

Reactions: SpanishAppleNerd

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2012
No thanks, I have Siri turned off on all of my devices anyway. The only time Siri’s voice is ever heard is when I’m using navigation. Our communication skills, as a society, have been in free-fall since the rise of the internet in the 1990s. If you don’t use it, you lose it. So I’ll pass on AI help in composing messages.

Haiku_Oezu

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2016
If I don’t care about the recipient, sure

I’d give it a pass because I don’t trust GPT’s to say the opposite of what I mean but I wouldn’t mind sending someone an AI generated response

If they catch me and are offended I couldn’t be bothered to respond directly I’ll consider that a bonus

beatrixwillius

macrumors member
May 30, 2020
Germany
When I'm taking a walk and I have an idea then I make a note with Siri on my phone. The quality is really hit and miss. Yes, I mostly understand later what I have written. But - boy- there is room for improvement. Add AI to that? Yes, I can't wait - not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.