Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I would if I wanted it enough. "Paying More" is an example of anchoring bias. The price that you are anchored to is the price Apple chose. There is no set price on things determined by nature. To say that the people willing to pay more are stupid is hypocritical. Everything you pay for is for something you want. People value things differently than you, and it's not because they're stupid. Failure to understand that... is stupid.

I've known people who have wasted a tremendous amount of energy and time trying to get an iPhone. To me, they should have just paid an extra several hundred dollars.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I would if I wanted it enough. "Paying More" is an example of anchoring bias. The price that you are anchored to is the price Apple chose. There is no set price on things determined by nature. To say that the people willing to pay more are stupid is hypocritical. Everything you pay for is for something you want. People value things differently than you, and it's not because they're stupid. Failure to understand that... is stupid.

I've known people who have wasted a tremendous amount of energy and time trying to get an iPhone. To me, they should have just paid an extra several hundred dollars.

Or as the old proverb says: "A fool and his money are soon parted”

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
The sad thing about this is that many people will who can't afford it. The hype overwhelms them. Some people will suffer a bit.

It's a shame when there's a shortage like this, because Apple doesn't want this type of frenzy. Sales of course, but not that.

I will get one eventually. I have an earlier model (I think it's either a 5 or 6). Works perfectly good.
It's phone. Takes pictures and stuff.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Apple should offer it at a higher price for the first week so that instead of scalpers, Apple gets the money from those willing to pay above MSRP to have it first. Then after that, it goes to normal price for the masses.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The sad thing about this is that many people will who can't afford it. The hype overwhelms them. Some people will suffer a bit.

I agree. What you will find out, is you will have those who will justify the cost by associating the breakdown on a monthly charge overall what the phone cost altogether. So even if they can't afford it, In their mind, they can based on monthly payments. But there still paying off $1000 iPhone no matter which way they look at it.

Reactions: Technarchy

AnthonyG6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2017
Hell no, its overpriced as it is, what kind of mug would I be to pay over the odds to a random?
So, are you saying that you would be willing to pay over the odds if you knew the seller?

Damon2

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2016
So, are you saying that you would be willing to pay over the odds if you knew the seller?
Nope I'm not paying over the odds period.

I don't even want to pay the retail price, if I knew the seller I'd cheekily asking to pay under the retail price.

I don't think I'd pick up an X second hand unless it's at a crazily good price. If it was being sold by someone close to the RRP think I'd much rather just to apple for peace of mind.

Reactions: Bethanie21

AnthonyG6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2017
Nope I'm not paying over the odds period.

I don't even want to pay the retail price, if I knew the seller I'd cheekily asking to pay under the retail price.

I don't think I'd pick up an X second hand unless it's at a crazily good price. If it was being sold by someone close to the RRP think I'd much rather just to apple for peace of mind.
Agreed, since the iPhone 5, I have only bought a new iPhone direct from Apple. It's also cheaper in the long run to buy outright than as an upgrade from a carrier network. I just hope I can get my hands on the iPhone X on release day.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
Apple should offer it at a higher price for the first week so that instead of scalpers, Apple gets the money from those willing to pay above MSRP to have it first. Then after that, it goes to normal price for the masses.

I agree. People would flip out though. I could see congress getting involved and dragging in Tim Cook to explain his “price gouging”.

Reactions: Gregintosh

AnthonyG6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2017
So you are suggesting that the long suffering, most loyal Apple fans should be further penalised by having to pay extra? I would not be very happy with that idea. I'm sure Apple could initially just sell only a maximum of two iPhones per Apple ID and that Apple ID would have to at least be in use 6 months prior to the release of the new iPhone and registered to an Apple product? They could maybe do this just for the first 2 weeks of the release? After this initial period it could then be sold to the 'general' public and new users of Apple products?

Reactions: Gregintosh

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
No way, I just gonna settle with holding on to my 8+ for another year then, harsh life I know lol

If everything works as advertised by this time next year you'll have a choice of the X or X Plus. The launch of the X Plus will be what I'm looking for. If things implode with the X your 8 will be more than enough for years. :apple:

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
H-e-double-hockey-sticks No!

It can wait. In fact, I'd be way more likely to "downgrade" to an 8+ than to pay a douchebag online with markup.

If you got the $$ to waste and don't mind, then I can't judge you for it. If I had the money, maybe it wouldn't bother me. But I live on a budget and that budget says #&$ that! We're paying enough if we get the X at retail.

nawoo

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
people in countries that do not get the Iphone X on launch day will pay over the odds for them. I will be pre ordering at least 4 units of iPhone x to sell to such people. The profit I get from those.proceeds should give me a nice free iPhone X, and maybe even some change to spare, lol

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
So you are suggesting that the long suffering, most loyal Apple fans should be further penalised by having to pay extra? I would not be very happy with that idea. I'm sure Apple could initially just sell only a maximum of two iPhones per Apple ID and that Apple ID would have to at least be in use 6 months prior to the release of the new iPhone and registered to an Apple product? They could maybe do this just for the first 2 weeks of the release? After this initial period it could then be sold to the 'general' public and new users of Apple products?

Could work, but a lot of scalpers will be long time Apple users too. In fact, limiting the number of scalpers from the outside will make the units even higher priced on the open market making them more lucrative to sell for those who can preorder.

AnthonyG6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2017
Could work, but a lot of scalpers will be long time Apple users too. In fact, limiting the number of scalpers from the outside will make the units even higher priced on the open market making them more lucrative to sell for those who can preorder.
Agreed. I don’t think there’s any easy solution to scalpers. I just hope I manage to get one on launch day.

tee-tz

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2009
Would be willing to pay extra.

Like many who don’t live in the US/Europe, we’re used to paying a lot more for the phone anyway.

I’ll try & take advantage of being in the US during the release. Though I’ll entertain the idea, there’s clearly a limit of how much one would pay. So if prices seem unreasonable, I’ll wait until my next trip to pick one up.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.