iPhone X Would you rather have 3D Touch or on screen Touch ID?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brandonjr36, Jan 13, 2018.

?

On screen Touch ID or 3D Touch

1. On screen Touch ID

80 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. 3D Touch

90 vote(s)
    52.9%
  1. Kram Sacul macrumors regular

Kram Sacul

I couldn't imagine not having 3-d touch at this point. Finger print sensors are so 2011.

2. Ralfi macrumors 68020

Ralfi

Hello, exact opposite of me. :D

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I still think fingerprint sensors is relative in the sense of biometric security and there reliability.

I liked 3D Touch when it was introduced in the iPhone 6s. I would like to see more expansion with 3D Touch, but I feel like Apple doesn't highlight it as much as they used to, similarly to how live photos when it was introduced and now it seems it's not really discussed or marketed at all with Apple.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Having no security on your phone is YOUR choice, not Apple’s.

5. AppleZombie macrumors 6502a

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I guess 3D touch even though I do not use it that much and when I try it does not work well for me on my X.

Do not care about Touch ID as FaceID works all too well for me.

7. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

3D touch since I use the keyboard drag feature everyday.

8. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

People were just fine before 3D Touch was a thing and people will be after it’s gone.

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The same could be said for many features Apple introduced and was later taken away. Point is, 3D Touch really _is_ a useful feature once the user has an idea of how to interact with it. The problem is, Apple did not market 3D Touch enough, where the user touches the display and has no idea what it does with its shortcut capabilities. The only real marking 3D Touch had was during the iPhone 6s keynote.

10. UKapple73 macrumors regular

Touch ID
    Seriously 3D Touch was the most pointless thing Apple ever introduced to the iPhone and was obviously a desperate marketing ploy to give 6 owners something to upgrade for in the 6plus. The functionality can easily be replicated with long presses, and I’ve even seen rumours Apple will remove it in future phones and just use the software long press like they now support in older iPhones

11. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

There was some at the iOS 10 keynote as well if I recall correctly. https://www.macrumors.com/2016/06/22/3d-touch-in-ios-10/

The 3D Touch gestures originally introduced in iOS 9 for the iPhone 6s are still the ones I find most useful. 3D Touch to preview links and images in Safari, and move the cursor in a text field especially.

12. apolloa macrumors G4

I’d rather have both, it probably can be done if they wanted to.

13. MacWins macrumors regular

MacWins

Even if I’ve never ever tried a Face ID scan (still on my 8+ till the new 6.5” launch day)....I’ll go for 3D Touch.

It’s really useful and well integrated in the UI.
    It triggers very comfortable shortcuts used repeatedly, several times a day, every day.
    It is certainly not a stylistic embellishment, but a concrete improvement of the experience of use.
    I really would miss it if Apple will seriously decide to dismiss it from 2019 iPhones line-up!

14. bushman4 macrumors 68020

I’d rather have both, Yes BOTH
    There are times when Touch ID is beneficial and there are times when Face ID is good like in the cold
    The underscreen techbology is there it’s just a case of Apple wanting to do it

15. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

3D Touch all day.

I love the new(er) Touch ID button so perfect combo for me right now.

16. simonmet macrumors 68000

simonmet

3D Touch is one of the things that keeps me on iPhone. Ditching it would be a huge mistake.

17. DaveOP macrumors 65816

People were just fine before Touch ID was a thing and people will be fine after it's gone.

18. _Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

_Refurbished_

I use 3D Touch every day to select text on my keyboard. Not having 3D Touch on my iPad is frustrating. It's not like it makes my iPad unusable, but they'll have to pry the last 3D Touch iPhone from my cold, dead hands.

I don't decide what to buy based on other people, I buy and keep what I like.

I will not be spending $700 - $1000 on a phone that doesn't have 3D Touch until I am forced to upgrade via planned obsolesce. I think this is a moot point, as I don't believe Apple will remove 3D Touch.

19. 3rdiguy macrumors 65816

3rdiguy

I want to have Touch ID. Right now , Face ID is a deal breaker and I am willing to wait another year to see if Touch ID will be implemented in new models before upgrading my 8+

20. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Touch ID has become defunct to me since Face ID came out so 3D Touch.

21. Brandonjr36 thread starter macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

I’m almost 100% positive that they will remove 3D Touch because I’ve seen a lot of rumors stating that, and Apple has added long press to the non 3D Touch devices. Such as the SE, seems like to me they are working away from 3D Touch. And the new 6.1 inch won’t have it either.

22. Falhófnir macrumors 68020

Falhófnir

If they were to remove it in order to implement under-screen Touch ID then I'd grudgingly give it up, though I'd prefer to have both on a future model. I hope they will at least keep the rest of the system haptics in place if the rumoured removal turns out to be true...

23. martin2345uk macrumors 6502

You heard wrong my friend.

24. Txguy82 macrumors regular

Txguy82

I haven't had any issues with Touch id other then you can lay on a pillow. It won't recognize your face.

I don't understand how iPhone users don't enjoy 3d touch? I use it everyday from my lock screen

25. mi7chy macrumors 601

mi7chy

Touch ID over gimmicks like Face ID and 3D Touch which is rumored to be removed in future devices. Federal level authentication uses fingerprint or Iris scanning or combination of for MFA.