Would you recommend a mac mini right now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hdsalinas, Jun 24, 2007.

1. hdsalinas macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

Hi I have had my MBP for about 6 months now and had fallen in love with the OS.

My dad wants to replace his home Windows PC with a newer one. He only needs a computer for basic tasks as email, internet, Google earth and pictures. He is not very computer savy and I find myself helping him do a lot of things for him like burning cds and such.

He is making a trip to the US this comming week and he is planning o buying a new low budget PC. I am trying to make him get a mac mini to get him into the mac os side.

But looking at when was the last time the mac mini updated and with all these rummors going on that it may get cancelled soon, I am not sure if it would be a good idea to get a mac mini now.

Would you recommend a mac mini?

2. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

maybe you should consider sticking to windows since your dad is 'older' and probably not as computer savvy as most kids nowadays.

as far as your question, i heard the minis are long overdue for an update. but it sounds like your dad doesnt need the latest or greatest computer. in that case the mini should be fine.

3. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Sorry to jump in on the thread but I'm wondering has Apple even hinted at continuing the Mini line? I am incredibly interested in getting a Mini but not at the current specs.

4. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

iMac

Why dont you buy the base model iMac. It has an all in one design so you dont need an external monitor, has more performance and there will be no clutter on your desk and very few wires, possibly only one.:)

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I have a 1.66 GHz Core Duo mini that's over a year old. All I did was get the 1GB RAM upgrade.

It still works flawlessly - games for the kids (nothing too stressful, admittedly - WCIII is the most demanding game played on it), surfing, email, fullscreen HD recordings (recorded off my cable box), web hosting, etc.

Just because it's not as fast as what else's out now doesn't mean it's not perfect for your dad. Even if it's updated the day after you get one, what's there now is really fine for almost any non-3D-gaming consumer-level user, and he wouldn't notice the updated features or speed.

Just get 1GB RAM or more.

6. hdsalinas thread starter macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

Well his budget for a new PC is pretty low (around $500) since he doesn't want to spend too much. Here in honduras he can get a cloned windows PC with similar to better specs for around that price. He already has a a 17" LCD display. An imac would be ideal but is a bit more expensive for him.

He has only been a windows user for a year or so, so swithcing to mac should not be that hard. He still doesnt know his way around windows that much.

i just feel that the mac os should make things for him simpler,

7. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

Don't bother buying the mac mini at the current specs. Not worth it.

Wait until its updated. A mac mini with a x3100 GMA might actually be a decent machine. Or just a cheaper/better value update.

8. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

If it's updated.

9. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

Penryn

My guess is that the Mac Mini will be updated when Intel's Penryn chips roll out.

10. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

calm down mac rumorers, can I take it you are not all coming to the MR picnic in london on 7/7 ?

and get a refurb macMini or wait. They are poor value for money. maybe a refurb edu 17"imac combo integrated graphics?

11. mrfrosty macrumors 6502

To get back on topic....cough...

Yes i would definitely buy another mac mini. Sure they will probably not be around that much longer but they are a lovely machine.....do get some extra memory though, they need it.

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Just a few notes:

• Freedom of speech does not apply here. It's a private forum. Arn's rules apply.
    • Insulting members is a bannable offense. I'm just not in the mood to ban people now.
    • Publicly discussing moderator action over something as inconsequential as a comment removal isn't advised either. The comment was reported and removed.
    This applies to a series of deleted posts. Now that I've mentioned this, if I need to come back and do the same, action will be taken.

13. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

I know everyone here would like the best and top of the line, but from what the OP said, it seems that his dad just needs a computer for basic stuff. Heck, there are people happily using pismos and original imacs for basic stuff like mentioned.

A mini would probably be perfect for your dad. It CAN run windows if that is a problem at some point, but as you want to make things simpler (burning cds, surfing web, photos etc) then the mini is a perfect way to introduce him to mac os in a very neat tiny package. Get a refurb mini and add extra ram and he should be VERY happy.

Compared to what he has now, with extra ram it'll fly and make music and photos 80 times easier.

goodluck!

Edit: AND on the plus note... he can easily pop it in a protective bag when he visits you or other relatives homes and show you what he's been working on/get help or lessons or input from you/have his own computer (assuming there is a monitor around) when he's traveling further to relatives, which is always a plus in my book!

14. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

Sounds good.

Yes getting a refurb Mac sounds good. But the RAM should not be added immediately. Hold it off till the Mac slows down in need of RAM and by then the prices should be down too.

15. mrfrosty macrumors 6502

I Purchase OneGb Ram, Normally.

16. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

When you are employed as unpaid helper all the time, that is exactly when you want to switch people from Windows to MacOS X. It just reduces the amount of work you have to do for them.

17. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

for basic computer use, the current mac mini is just fine......please remember that there are lots of people using much older macs right now, lots older even, so it doesn't really matter if or when the mini is updated as long as the current model will do what he needs.

18. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Isn't gonna happen. I mean the MacBooks still hasn't even gotten the GMA X3100 yet.

There's also rumors of the Mac mini being terminated. So who knows.

Maybe look for an used/refurbished G4 Mac mini? Those should be very cheap, and should do everything your father asks of it.

19. Jim Campbell macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

As has been noted elsewhere, the Mini was clearly displayed in the "Apple family" backdrops at WWDC, which suggests that rumours of its imminent demise appear to have been premature.

I like it, and the Mini has --I think -- as many fans as detractors on here. The arguments that it's under-specced for the price have validity, but need to be set against the fantastic form factor, and the fact that the Mini is very stable and practically silent.

It gets an unreserved recommendation from me, and if it gets a spec bump (perhaps when the new iMacs get announced?) then I think they'll be quite a compelling buy.

That said, unless you're looking to do some fairly hefty graphics/video work, then the current spec is more than adequate for everyday use.

Cheers

Jim

20. Gav macrumors regular

The Mini is IMO going the same way as the G4 Cube.

For example, the low end iMac has the following specs:

* 512MB memory
    * 160GB hard drive1
    * 24x Combo drive
    * Intel GMA 950 graphics
    * 1.83Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    * 17" TFT
    * iSight Camera
    * Speakers, keyboard and mouse.

It costs £679

The following Mac Mini setup:

* 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo
    * 512MB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x256MB
    * 160GB Serial ATA drive
    * Wired Keyboard & Mighty Mouse Kits
    * Mac OS X (British)

Costs £623 with no Monitor, Camera or Speakers and a slower clock speed and only Core Duo.

Which one would you choose?

But I really do hope that the Mini is revamped. It could be done, no doubt. I LOVE the idea of the Mini, but at the moment it isn't really economically viable.

21. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I would recommend against a G4 mini. You could find a Core Solo mini for a little more than a G4. Its generally faster, won't be outdated as quickly and can run Windows. The odd thing about the minis is that they are still selling bucket-loads of them and the second hand prices have remained high. There clearly is a demand for them.

22. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

Well if its only for simple task then I think its fine to get the Mac Mini now.

23. hdsalinas thread starter macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

Well let me tell you what my dad will be replacing....

Last december or so, I built my dad's home PC. It has a 2.8Ghz P4, a 2 or 3 year old nvidia 128mb video card (not sure what model it is since it was a left over card my brother had after he upgraded), a 40GB HDD, 256 ram and a dvd burner. It is running Windows XP.

This PC is perfectly fine for his needs but the one he has at work is another story, It is a very old IBM PentiumII running win98. It has like 32MB ram, 10GB hdd, no sound card or network card or modem. It is used mainly for word, excel and printing. I am sick and tired of fixing it and it has needed to be replaced decades ago.

I told my dad to take his home PC to work and replace his home computer with the mini. I know that spec wise the mini is not very impressive and you can get better deals on a regular budget PC, but it is the cheapest way to get him to switch to mac. The mac os is actually the most valuable feature, obviously besides the form factor.

He will be arriving to the states this week and will stay there for a week or so. I just dont want to push him into buying a mac that may not be the best long term solution/decision.

BTW, He loves to use google earth. How well does it run on the mini.

24. WannaGoMac macrumors 65816

I think the previous advice is correct -- get a 17" Imac.

If he is bringing his old computer to work, he will still need to buy a keyboard and mouse for the mac mini. Imac comes with it.

Refurb 17" is going for $1049 WITH 1gb ram, C2d, ATI Radeon X1600
    This will last him YEARS if his biggest app is google earth. AND you don't have to upgrade it (mini's are a pain to upgrade the ram aftermarket) nor buy keyboard & mouse.

Mini is just a rip off comparatively right now unless you NEED that form factor IMHO.

Good luck.

25. hdsalinas thread starter macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

Thanks for all your advice

I will sit down with him and go over his options. Maybe we should wait a little for the new minis and imacs to be released and then get one of those.

I will let you know what he ends up getting.

thanks for all your help.