Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

salvator

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2015
I had this issue on my second unit. :(

Turns out the newer 2015 RMBP's have a 0000A02A screen.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1855876/
http://applech2.com/archives/44024209.html

what did you end up doing then?
The screen color will shift just a bit when you view it at an angle but the degree could be abnormal in your case, I don't know. Could you bring it into a service center without setting up a repair and see what they say? Otherwise I'd just re-contact AppleCare, as unpleasant as that may be in your area.

while taking it from the service center the previous time only i had shared my concerns and all they said were these were the screens that Apple provides them with so they couldn't do anything. And as for Apple Care they are bunch of rude *******s who hang up on your face without understanding the situation at all.
I have lost my faith in Apple.
Is there any other approach that I can try and ask them to get the machine replaced it self?

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
Would you return this 13" rMBP?

A02A, new model # to keep those of us who are observant on our toes

Looks like there are two new displays with the 2015 13" rMBP. One is the A02A and the other is A029 display. I don't think anyone knows at this point in time as to which one might correspond to Samsung vs LG or which one in general might be "better". Though based on existing posts it seems like the majority of the new displays are the A02A.

In my local area I went into 2 Apple stores and all of the 2015 13" rMBP floor models had the A02A display. Contrast that to when the stores were displaying the mid 2014 models a month ago those floor models all had the A018 displays (presumably Samsung and the more "desirable" display). And I assume that apple might want to have floor models with the "best" possible displays for prospective buyers to view and play with. Since I had a day overlap where I had both the mid 2014 model with A018 display (before returning for the 2015 model) and my new 2015 model with A02A display I was able to compare the two displays and the overall conclusion was that the two were equally "nice" with a few minor differences.

The A018 was just a tad bit brighter at higher setting however when running a test to measure black levels.....the new A02A allowed me to distinguish greater shades of black whereas the A018 black levels became indistinguishable at the darker levels. Both displays for me had equal viewing angles and no issues with IR or yellowing. Of course it's not to say others with the same exact display model number won't have any issues.

Last edited:

TrijiconAMR

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2015
Looks like there are two new displays with the 2015 13" rMBP. One is the A02A and the other is A029 display. I don't think anyone knows at this point in time as to which one might correspond to Samsung vs LG or which one in general might be "better". Though based on existing posts it seems like the majority of the new displays are the A02A.

In my local area I went into 2 Apple stores and all of the 2015 13" rMBP floor models had the A02A display. Contrast that to when the stores were displaying the mid 2014 models a month ago those floor models all had the A018 displays (presumably Samsung and the more "desirable" display). And I assume that apple might want to have floor models with the "best" possible displays for prospective buyers to view and play with. Since I had a day overlap where I had both the mid 2014 model with A018 display (before returning for the 2015 model) and my new 2015 model with A02A display I was able to compare the two displays and the overall conclusion was that the two were equally "nice" with a few minor differences.

The A018 was just a tad bit brighter at higher setting however when running a test to measure black levels.....the new A02A allowed me to distinguish greater shades of black whereas the A018 black levels became indistinguishable at the darker levels. Both displays for me had equal viewing angles and no issues with IR or yellowing. Of course it's not to say others with the same exact display model number won't have any issues.

Thanks for the info!

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
^^ Interesting, thanks for that as well.

I'm sure 2015 owners will appreciate that insight.

salvator

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2015
I do not understand why does apple manufacture or source displays from two different manufacturers which cause so many problems at the end. All the displays have marginal differences among each of them

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I do not understand why does apple manufacture or source displays from two different manufacturers which cause so many problems at the end. All the displays have marginal differences among each of them

Cost, not being reliant on any one supplier, and lots of "iSheep" with cataracts not noticing a difference.

A combination of the elements in my opinion.

salvator

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2015
Cost, not being reliant on any one supplier, and lots of "iSheep" with cataracts not noticing a difference.

A combination of the elements in my opinion.

how did you end up with a replacement, like were you in your return period?
I am having such a hard time struggling with this issue.
That's a valid point but if you see the manufacturer number for both displays is 610 which indicates it's one manufacturer after all

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Yeah I'm not sure about the 610 mfr breakdown, but I returned my original one within the return policy.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007

technically i would assume that apple when they enter into a contract to have manufacturers like samsung and LG provide displays for any of their products, that there's something written into the contract that says that samsung and lg or anyone else has to provide displays that meet certain minimum specifications so technically it should not matter whether apple is sourcing from samsung or LG as long as the display makers are providing products that are up to the apple specifications. However, defects will get through and its possible that one manufacturer's product might have a greater incidence of defects versus another but again, that's another variable that i'm sure is called out in the contract as well (i.e. a max number of defects for x number of units allowed).

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
same spec appears to be powers on and has the same resolution.

The discrepancies between screens on not just macs but iOS devices can be shocking

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
Just wanted to say that I just got my new 2015 13" rMBP (i7/16/512) and the screen looks absolutely perfect. Snow white whites and very evenly backlit.

I'm picky about screens but I have to say I'm blown away with this one. I know full well how frustrating the "screen lottery" can be. I bought and returned a few iPad 3s when they came out due to poor screen quality and ended up just giving up and bought an iPad 2.

However, this is screen in my rMBP is the best retina screen I've ever seen.

It's a 0000A02A. I have no idea who makes it, but it's damned good.

Good screens are out there!

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Just wanted to say that I just got my new 2015 13" rMBP (i7/16/512) and the screen looks absolutely perfect. Snow white whites and very evenly backlit.

I'm picky about screens but I have to say I'm blown away with this one. I know full well how frustrating the "screen lottery" can be. I bought and returned a few iPad 3s when they came out due to poor screen quality and ended up just giving up and bought an iPad 2.

Glad to hear! Good thing you got a good one on that expensive CTO as well.

brian515

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2010

Interesting. I've got the i7/15/512 with A02A as well, and the screen is awful. Terrible backlight bleed and the bottom half-inch or so is slightly darker and bluer than the rest of the display. Going to take it into the store tomorrow. Does anyone know if the stores are replacing displays or are they going to swap my whole machine?

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009

I must admit, I was nervous about getting a not so great screen. I went into the Apple Store and purchased it, then sat at one of their tables and opened it up, inspected it and then setup my basic info to get to the desktop. I then checked out the screen quality as best as I could while there. It looked good so I brought it home.

So far, I'm really impressed with this machine. It's replacing a 13" mid-2010 MBP so the performance is quite an improvement overall.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I must admit, I was nervous about getting a not so great screen. I went into the Apple Store and purchased it, then sat at one of their tables and opened it up, inspected it and then setup my basic info to get to the desktop. I then checked out the screen quality as best as I could while there. It looked good so I brought it home.

So far, I'm really impressed with this machine. It's replacing a 13" mid-2010 MBP so the performance is quite an improvement overall.

I get nervous *every time* I buy a new apple product.

Really sucks. I know I have options but I just don't want to go on that psychotic return loop (as aforementioned) since I can't find a better class of products, glaring and abundant quality control issues aside.

I even sent my first rMBP back before receiving the new order, afraid I might get one even worse/more problematic!

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
I get nervous *every time* I buy a new apple product.

Really sucks. I know I have options but I just don't want to go on that psychotic return loop (as aforementioned) since I can't find a better class of products, glaring and abundant quality control issues aside.

I even sent my first rMBP back before receiving the new order, afraid I might get one even worse/more problematic!

I understand completely. It can drive you crazy. As I mentioned, I bought and returned about 6 iPad 3s when they first came out. They had very noticeable uneven backlighting and red/green tint across the screens. I ended up just giving up on it altogether and picked up the iPad 2 which was still for sale. I still use that iPad today and the screen is great.

I bought a 60 inch LCD TV 3 years ago and I returned the first one due to poor edge lighting (flashlighting). It was a pain to pack it up and return it and get another unit. But the second one was much better but still has it a bit in one spot. I decided to keep it as I didn't want to do the exchange thing again and it wasn't nearly as noticeable.

I've come to accept that most LCD screens, whether tablets, laptops or televisions usually have some sort of flaw and that you end up just having to decide what you are willing to live with. It's a hard judgement call sometimes.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I understand completely. It can drive you crazy. As I mentioned, I bought and returned about 6 iPad 3s when they first came out. They had very noticeable uneven backlighting and red/green tint across the screens. I ended up just giving up on it altogether and picked up the iPad 2 which was still for sale. I still use that iPad today and the screen is great.

I bought a 60 inch LCD TV 3 years ago and I returned the first one due to poor edge lighting (flashlighting). It was a pain to pack it up and return it and get another unit. But the second one was much better but still has it a bit in one spot. I decided to keep it as I didn't want to do the exchange thing again and it wasn't nearly as noticeable.

I've come to accept that most LCD screens, whether tablets, laptops or televisions usually have some sort of flaw and that you end up just having to decide what you are willing to live with. It's a hard judgement call sometimes.

I lucked out on getting a beautiful looking 55" Samsung LED with DLNA for $699 around Black Friday (a week before) in 2013. All my friends myself included have compact cars so it was a PITA to get it picked up. First try, phew.

It's nuts screen tech hasn't been perfected.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Interesting. I've got the i7/15/512 with A02A as well, and the screen is awful. Terrible backlight bleed and the bottom half-inch or so is slightly darker and bluer than the rest of the display. Going to take it into the store tomorrow. Does anyone know if the stores are replacing displays or are they going to swap my whole machine?

They should swap the whole machine assuming you are within your return period. That's what they did for me. My current one is A029 and looks pretty great by my standards (exchanged 3 times). There is great variance among displays which is really bad on Apple's part, unacceptable actually. Absolutely take it into the store. Be very nice about it and the geniuses *should* be cool and receptive toward you. Good luck.

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
A02a

A02A here as well 15' i5/256gb. I think my screen is great. No yellow spots or backlight issues. I still felt it's warmer than I prefer. I came from late 2013 15" rMBP with LG screen, which was much cooler. I'm assuming A02A is Samsung which tends to be slightly warmer.

Anyways upon search, I came across this 15" rMBP Samsung Color Profile: Apple_RMBP_Samsung (credits to the original poster). I really like this profile and it gives me a slightly cooler screen but not too blue. For those with A02A, let me know what you think about this profile. It's not for a 13" so make sure you uncheck 'Show profiles for this display only'. The other profile Ram is what I calibrated using advance calibration in the Display settings.

Attachments

• Profiles.zip
    5.3 KB · Views: 88

carmona

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2014
Ok guys you're really really messing things around here.

1. You can't compare iPhone or iPad displays with your MacBook display. Neither of them (iPhone & iPad) is calibrated for reliable colors, but just for fancy colors and nice contrast. (Which sells better than a dull view that reliable colors offer.)

2. Each computer-display combination results in different colors. In terms of colors, I don't think your new display is better than the older one now. You can calibrate both with a colorimeter (Spyder4) to show the real colors. But don't compare them to handhelds which can't be calibrated!

3. Calibrating has nothing to do with getting the colors you "like", but the correct colors per standard as they will also come out correctly on print-outs when working with color profiles.

If you want get deeper into this, I recommend you this eBook:
http://spyder.datacolor.com/scripts/ebook/Spyder_eBook_DE_-_by_Datacolor.pdf

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
Ok guys you're really really messing things around here.

1. You can't compare iPhone or iPad displays with your MacBook display. Neither of them (iPhone & iPad) is calibrated for reliable colors, but just for fancy colors and nice contrast. (Which sells better than a dull view that reliable colors offer.)

2. Each computer-display combination results in different colors. In terms of colors, I don't think your new display is better than the older one now. You can calibrate both with a colorimeter (Spyder4) to show the real colors. But don't compare them to handhelds which can't be calibrated!

3. Calibrating has nothing to do with getting the colors you "like", but the correct colors per standard as they will also come out correctly on print-outs when working with color profiles.

If you want get deeper into this, I recommend you this eBook:

http://spyder.datacolor.com/scripts/ebook/Spyder_eBook_DE_-_by_Datacolor.pdf

I think what's worth noting is that one's notion of what is a "good" display in tens of color reproduction like whites and so has been based so long on non calibrated screens and individual preferences established over the years from a long line of non calibrated displays that if someone was to have their screen properly and accurately calibrated they might not like it and if they weren't told it was calibrated they might actually think that there was something wrong with the display out of the box.

grator

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2015
France
Hi all :)

Here is my rMBP with A029 panel :

The backlight is bleeding on the top of the screen, as you can see (the picture accentuate the issue), and the white is a bit red on the left side, and more green on the right side.

I think I'll send it back to get a refund, and order another one :(.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.