Would you switch bank to get ApplePay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Beechy, Jun 9, 2015.

?

Would you switch bank to get ApplePay?

1. My bank is a launch partner

2. I already have

3. I'm planning to

4. I will / would wait for my bank to support it

5. I'm not interested in ApplePay

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Beechy macrumors member

Beechy

After the announcement that ApplePay is coming to the UK yesterday, I got excited... However, this excitement was quickly squashed when the slides they put up showing which banks are taking part did not include my bank, Barclays... And even more so when the next slide up for 'end of 2015' support, where Barclays were again no where to be found...

This has caused me to open a new bank account in the UK, which I may or may not make my primary bank account.

It made me curious, what other people are thinking of doing... if anything at all.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I refuse to use Apple pay as it requires me to use either a code or my finger print on my phone all the time. Not going through the hassle.

3. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

My bank was a launch partner, but I would have switched banks to use Apple Pay. I love using it where I can, especially on my Watch. It's worth the switch to me.

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I am with Barclays who, according to the BBC are committed to supporting Apple Pay. I'll give them until the end of the year and if they still don't support it, I'll move all my accounts (including the business one) to a bank that's a bit more forward thinking

5. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Not with the Watch. Once it's on your wrist and you've authenticated once, you can use Apple Pay with the press of a button on the side.

I'm curious, though; is it really that big of a hassle to hold your finger on a reader for two seconds? I've used it tons of times and never thought it was inconvenient or a hassle; certainly not more so than pulling my wallet out and swiping a credit card.

6. Beechy thread starter macrumors member

Beechy

This. I don't understand the inconvenience of using your finger to securely perform a financial transaction from your phone... I'm curious, what would make it easy enough? Without compromising security

7. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I don't know if I'll completely leave the bank I've been with for years.

But it has me considering an account with a second bank.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I returned my watch as I seldom felt the taps or heard the little ding in less than a quiet enviroment, so there was no point to the watch.

Been through this a hundred time and if my finger print reader worked well I would use it. Most the time it took several tries and got in my way, so screw it!

If the phone would ONLY make me use a code or finger for Apple Pay, I would consider but not all the time.

9. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Sorry to hear that; your results don't seem to be the norm, though.

10. rockitdog macrumors 68020

LOL, all that work! This is the silliest thing I've seen or heard around Apple Pay. It's so easy to use, easier than going through my wallet and pulling out my credit card...

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm interested in using Apple Pay, but at the moment it's not something I have any urge to set up.

My bank (last time I checked) does Apple Pay. However, even if it didn't I wouldn't leave. Twice my bank has taken a chance on us (my wife and I) when no other bank would. I've worked very hard to keep my accounts in good order because of that and they have consistently treated us with respect which is not common among banks these days.

Because of all that they have my loyalty.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

to each his own!

13. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I'm with RBS so I will be using Apple Pay any chance I get.

14. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Hard for me to get warm and fuzzy about my Bank, Wells Fargo. Due to my company we have 5 different account opened at my local branch. Used to walk in and they knew you and would say high but all of those are gone and they all have such "heavy accents" that I no longer can understand what they say most the time. Drive in window for me unless I have to go in!

15. mcmul macrumors 6502

I have a Barclays account and will be winding it down for Apple Pay. It's sad to see them not go all in due to their sub-standard PingIt app, especially since their mobile banking app and website are superb. Poor effort on their part. No guarantees that they'll introduce it, only that they're having "constructive talks".

16. ajiuo macrumors 65816

I switched credit unions for Apple Pay... There were other reasons as well... But that was the final straw.

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well…I totally get that. I absolutely deplore Wells Fargo and Bank of America, neither of which is our bank (thankfully).

We're with US Bank. I won't deny that I have never had problems with them and my loyalty is only to a certain point, but they have never screwed us over. They even ate a $58 gasoline charge once and reissued us debit cards because someone used our card number in a state we have never been in (lifted from a grocery store customer account hacking incident).

So, no, not warm and fuzzy with them by far, but I'm a fair bit more loyal than I would be ordinarily.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple pay is a luxury type of service, I'd rather have a bank that provides top notch service, doesn't gouge me and have some peace of mind regarding my information. Does any bank in the U.S. do this now - not really, but at this stage, I'm content with what I have services wise. If they don't offer apple pay, it won't cause me to uproot and change to another bank.

19. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

Think that may have been sarcasm?

However - would you rather touch YOUR Apple Watch or touch a stylus or a keypad in a store?

Want fecal / faecal matter on your fingers? Go right ahead - it's on 72% of grocery carts, so it's on those too....

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/03/03/fecal-matter-72-percent-grocery-carts/

20. JackieInCo macrumors 601

My bank still does not support Apple Pay. I did get a credit card that was supported so I could add it to Apple Pay months ago but I have yet to go anywhere where Apple Pay is accepted.

21. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

What is a little fecal matter between friends! HA, just kidding.

Fecal matter is everywhere including the keyboard or phone you are posting this from. When I go out to eat I do not run into the bathroom to wash my hands. I try not to go in the bathroom period. Apple pay is not going to save your sterile little fingers.;)

22. JoePa2624 macrumors regular

JoePa2624

I've only used Apple Pay at the Apple store, so I don't have very strong feelings towards it one way or another. I still feel awkward paying with my phone/watch at the counter.

23. Kal El macrumors regular

I was ready to move banks bit so glad Nationwide are on the launch list for the UK.

If anyone is thinking of moving I would highly recommend Nationwide.

24. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

My bank is going with Apple Pay and I will sign up to use it but I wouldn't have bothered going through the hassle of changing banks if mine hadn't been a launch partner.

25. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Exact reason why I don't use ApplePay.

Also, if I did use Apple Pay, I would never completely open a new Bank Account just for it.