Would you use iPhone w/o data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zdobson, Jan 13, 2009.

?

Would you use the iPhone w/o data?

1. Yes, I would like an iPhone plan without data (only use wifi for internet)

53 vote(s)
    38.7%
  2. No, I would only use a 3G data plan

84 vote(s)
    61.3%
  1. zdobson macrumors 6502

I'd like to get an iPhone, but $30/mo for data is more than I want to spend. I would just get the iPod Touch and use wifi, but then I'd still have to carry around two devices with me.

Is there anyone else out there who would buy the iPhone, but only use the wifi, and not 3G, if they offered it as an option?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Heck yes. Hundreds of people do, as you're allowed to take the data plan off of the original iPhone.

3. zdobson thread starter macrumors 6502

What functionality would I lose by having the EDGE iPhone instead of the 3G?

4. duncanapple macrumors 6502

Does visual voice mail work without data? I thought the iPhone HAD to be used with a data package, regardless of if you have a contract or not?

5. jgunn macrumors regular

i have a jailbroken iphone with an at&t prepay card. I don't use data at all unless it's wifi (free) and I use this a lot, there is free wifi everywhere if you use the right apps. it's really like carrying a netbook around with you all the time. the phone functions have become almost secondary to me.

6. zdobson thread starter macrumors 6502

I've heard (from multiple sources now) that the 3G phone requires a data package, but the original EDGE phone does not.

That's a good question about the visual voice mail.

7. zdobson thread starter macrumors 6502

I assume you're talking about an original iPhone. Has the 3G been jailbroken yet?

8. JONTY.UK/FR macrumors newbie

JONTY.UK/FR

if im correct....3G has faster data transfere rates than Edge. There is no differance in functionality...I have the 1st Gen Iphone using 2.2 software...It does exactly as the 3G version but slightly slower.

Personally I am not interested in upgrading untill they bring out a version with a "decent" memory upgrade......I barely use the 8gb i have but would use it to back up if the memory were more substantial. The speed of edge data transfere is not an issue to me...It gets me the info i need when out and about fast enough as is

9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Back when I had an original iPhone on a pick a plan, I called and removed the data plan because I thought it woul be easy to avoid any extra data charges. Even though I didn't use anything requiring data usage, something still was using it anyways and I went through $100 in just a few hours. I ended up having to keep the phone in airplane mode until I needed to make a call. I still have no idea what was using data so quickly but i ended up adding the data plan back on the next month because it was cheaper.

10. britney69 macrumors newbie

In Canada, visual voicemail is dependant on data.

11. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

You can have att block all data or you can do it yourself.I have been testing this for the past 2 days and I am yet to see any data usage.

12. jgunn macrumors regular

I have a 3G. The 3G has been jb for months and just recently as been unlocked.

JB = unauthorised apps
    UL = any carrier

the data plan would be great though but I think 30-40 per month is a bit steep. I use the phone only functions and just send email/web apps when i'm on wifi. I also use bitesms when on wifi and save money that way. Man I think i might be a bit tight. :rolleyes:

13. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

I have an iPhone with blocked data on Rogers, and it's great. Nice cell phone, iPod, PDA, and wifi device.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm still confused by your options as well... would it make sense for me to edit option #2 to say, "No, I would only use a cellular data plan"?

15. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

I would and I do. I have an iPhone 3g unlocked and non-jailbroken on t-mobile. I don't know if they offer data plans on a prepaid account so I don't use data. I'm fine with it.

16. hsenletap macrumors newbie

I currently have an IPhone 3G and do not have the Data plan. I can't see paying $30/month for the service. I enjoy using the phone all day and when I am home or out and about in philly i use the Wifi. I have no complaints...the phone works great...its a ipod in my car and a handheld game. Most of the places i go to i have internet so I don't miss it on the iphone 3g

17. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

so ATT allows you to take it off?

18. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

+1

I'd be all over this if you could... :eek:

19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No. When they find out that he has an iPhone 3G without a data plan, it will be added back onto his monthly bill.

20. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Precisely. Unless there's something I'm missing here.

@hsenletap
    Are you on AT&T or a different provider?

EDIT:
    As usual Tallest Skil beat me to it :p

21. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Bummer.

Damn AT&T!! :rolleyes:

22. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

so why do they allow you to take it off in the first place

23. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

They don't actually, so you might wanna ask the poster how he did(?) it.

24. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

For the 3G, they don't.

He didn't. Either that, or he's about to find out that you can't use your existing AT&T account with an iPhone.

25. danny_w macrumors 601

The last time I checked AT&T wouldn't let me take the data plan off my original iPhone either. I know that they did used to do it, but it is no longer an option on their online account manager and they would not do it when I called either. Has this changed recently so that they added back the option to remove the data plan?