Would you wear a messenger bag? (Guys only)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Unprocessed1, Jul 1, 2011.

?

Would you or do you currently use a messenger bag?

1. Yes

95 vote(s)
    72.5%
  2. No

36 vote(s)
    27.5%
  1. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

More specifically I'd like some thoughts on this bag (in the sand color): http://www.studioarch.com/piquadro/en/piquadro-computer-messenger-p-cube-ca2490s42.html
    I've always been a backpack wearer, but I got this messenger bag as a gift, and it's made of of leather and has me tempted to replace my backpack, especially since I have a new job that will require traveling with MBA/tablet constantly, but then again the sand color has me thinking twice.

What are your thoughts, preferences, and experiences, gentlemen?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i always have a messenger bag with me, wherever i go.

personally that one isn't my style, but that is a personal choice. i find them more comfortable and more functional than backpacks.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

When I'm working, I use a freebee. It has a pouch at each end, for a travel mugs (coffee & ice-water), an open side pocket for my log book, and an inside pocket for my head-phones and Sony Walkman. (Yes, it's old, like me.)

The whole thing works, for me, and I care not what others may think. :cool:

4. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Sure, why not?

If the Luis Vuitton one wasn't so expensive, I would get that. Currently I'm using a Brenthaven.

5. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I use one for work every day. I'm not a fan of the one you linked to but I like mine a lot. It's a kenneth cole bag. Got it at their store in scottsdale. It was a bit of a ridiculous purchase but I don't regret it.

6. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

I've carried a messenger bag/satchel for years. Especially these days when I carry around my laptop more and more.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

personally I prefer a nice slim backpack made for a laptop ... I just do not like the Manbag style.

however who cares what people think ... if you comfortable with the messenger bag, go for it

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I carry a messenger/shoulder bag nearly always.

9. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I like the look of messengers, but find they're impractical for regular use (you only have one way to carry them). Backpacks are great... I love laptop backpacks, but the attaché-style (hard-case or soft-case is no matter) with a hand handle as well as an optional shoulder strap have always been my preference.

Messenger bags are very stylish, just for some a bit impractical is all.

10. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I'm happy with my axio backpack altough the zipper is worn.

11. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

I was looking for the "HELL NO" voting option, but didn't see it.

Sorry, but in the warrior community in which I spend most of my time (this place being one of the large exceptions), anything metro or femme or even resembling, smelling like, or could possibly be inferred as remotely metro or femme and the person possessing would be ridiculed and lambasted and taunted and teased ad nauseum et ad infinitum.

I'm sure it would look good on you though, and be invaluable in obtaining the attention of hordes of women resulting in tons of p*ssy. No, really :D

12. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

The other day I was wearing a pink Lacoste polo shooting a SIIG at the range. For some reason, I wasn't "ridiculed and lambasted and taunted and teased ad nauseum et ad infinitum". :D I guess it's a good thing that there's a level of civility that we don't behave that way on here.

By the way, I was at the BMW dealership waiting for my car to get washed when this attractive woman noticed my laptop shoulder bag and came over and strike up a conversation. ;)

13. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Certainly, but not one designed to carry a computer. That crosses a line.:D

14. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I'd wear it.

With the laptop against my back

So the strap would choke me

And kill me

And save me the embarrassment.

I kid :) I wouldn't carry it though

15. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

For those that do own a messenger bag, can you post which one you have? Maybe even a pic? :p

16. h00ligan macrumors 68030

The insecurity behind these threads of what is manly or not never ceases to amaze me.

17. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Wore two for 5 yrs of my life. I hate backpacks...make me feel like i'm still in elementary school.

18. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I use a messenger bag made for laptops up to 15".

Check out the Cole Haan bag in the Apple Store online. Expensive, but provides excellent protection for your computer. It has memory foam padding, not only front and back, but foam on the sides and bottom for maximal protection.

BTW- I am saddened and disappointed that so many of the posters are so fearful about their masculinity. I was hoping we had gone beyond antiquated fears of being perceived as "less than masculine - read "I'm terrified someone will think I'm gay". As many of the posters here are young (of course, compared to me, everyone is young) I was hoping that those fears were in the past.

Folks - live your life as you wish - and the hell with what ignorant others think.

19. swedefish macrumors 6502

+1

It's rather sad imo.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What's with the "messenger bags are girly" vibe I'm getting from the OP?

That's sad. I use a messenger bag almost every single day. They're not nearly as comfortable when you're carrying a lot of weight, but for regular day stuff, they're really good. Mine is a khaki-coloured canvas bag. It's not my first.

21. bizzle macrumors 6502a

No, they make you look like a douche bag, it has nothing to do with being girly or not.

22. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Wear whatever the hell you want and stop caring what others think or don't think of you.

23. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I have things that I need to carry, so I use a messenger bag to do so.

To date, it's been a reasonably successful solution.

24. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Explain why carrying a messenger bag makes someone look like a douche bag?