WOW am I screwed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Maverick713, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

Like so many other I upgraded mine and my wife's iPhones. Mine has been great as is my wife's. the only issue somebody stole it today. long story short I have the best buy insurance but that does not cover this which sucks, anybody else have this problem? :mad::eek:

I almost forgot the best part, she is an ICU nurse so it was stolen by 1) a doctor 2) a fellow nurse 3) cleaning crew or 4)one of peoples families she is taking care of!

2. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

3. redrox5 macrumors member

Condolences. Look into a Squaretrade insurance plan. Also, try using MobileMe's Find my iPhone? If you plead your case at an Apple store, not an AT&T store, they will normally give you the cheaper upgrade price or even the fully subsidized price.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're pretty much screwed.
    How did they steal your iphones?
    You can try talking to AT&T or Apple to get some kind of early upgrade or fee's removed if you're luck but its not for sure.
    They're probably make you pay full price.

5. emt1 macrumors 65816

An EVS staff member at the hospital I work at recently stole about 5 flat screen TVs from around the hospital. Blame EVS.

6. Maverick713 thread starter macrumors 6502

I do now on my phone, I wasn't sure if I should or not and I was thinking about it a couple days ago but i figured 2 years and so far nothing

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Did you purchase them using an AmEx card? If so, they cover thefts for 90 days after date of purchase and you can file a claim through them. Other credit cards may carry this benefit as well.

8. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Squaretrade DOES NOT cover THEFT.

9. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I'm pretty sure AMEX (and other card providers) EXCLUDE Cell phones & PDA's in the "very fine print" of their 90day theft policy. Each Amex card has different "benefits" so I can't speak for them all but most exclude cell phones in their terms if you read the actual Amex insurers "contract" PDF under "your benefits" online.

10. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

Look into State Farm insurance...they cover all theft and accedental damage under their personal artifact insurance policy.

When I insured my original 2G iPhone, I paid $30 for a year of $600 coverage. I thought the minimum coverage was $500 for personal artifact insurance, but since the unsubsidised price is equivilent it may be a good option.

11. Maverick713 thread starter macrumors 6502

ugh

I used my bestbuy card :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

12. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

It depends on your card with AMEX. AMEX GOLD will cover theft, or damage if it happens within 90 days of purchase and credit you back the purchase price. I did this for a cracked screen on an Iphone 3g. It was quick, painless and well worth it. Amex PLAT covers accidental loss as well (IE I Lost my phone on a bus).

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

14. Greenman85 macrumors regular

It covers lost phones. just say you lost it.

15. chox99 macrumors regular

My money is on family members of patients. I can't imagine co-workers and cleaning crew stealing her stuff. It's scary.:mad:

16. iPhoneVic macrumors regular

iPhoneVic

My iPhone

is never away from me when I'm not at home....good rule to follow.

17. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

It depeneds on what state your in, i know state farm in TX doesn't insure cell phones. I called 2 weeks ago about this.

18. hcpilot macrumors newbie

I pay $8.00/year for $3,000 computer insurance through USAA home insurance which covers my MacPro, laptop, and also my new iphone 3gs. USAA considers the iphone a computer and thus it is covered under the insurance rider. Good luck.

19. Tom359 macrumors regular

About State Farm

Just FYI, these are called Personal Articles Policies, and it will depend what state you are in. In many states we are no longer allowed to add cell phones to these policies. In my state, we can't. I have had an iPhone since original launch day and can not add to mine. If your state will allow you DO IT. It pretty much covers any kind of accidental damage, including dropping it.

20. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

That's just a standard Mastercard right? Not gold or platinum?

I don't think it offers any theft protection :(

21. GreenLightJerky macrumors member

it also depends if you have existing polices with a statefarm agent.
    I am getting mine covered on my busines Personal Articles Policy for about $1.50 per $100 of value (about $10.50 a year)

22. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Still might be worth calling the number on the back of the BB credit card to see if there is specific additional protection for purchases made at BB. Can't hurt to ask!

23. murf'n'surf macrumors member

Wait until you get the next bill and use the numbers called as clues to track down who it is.

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'm not finding any such exclusion under the Purchase Protection Plan in the (paper) agreement I received with the card. I have AmEx Blue Cash. Do you have an AmEx card with such an exclusion? If so, let us know.

The only thefts not covered are eligible items stolen from motor vehicles, baggage not carried by hand under your personal supervision, unattended items in public facilities, while under the care and control of a third party or common carrier, and at an unoccupied construction site.

25. surfer99 macrumors 6502

Are you 100% sure about this? I just got off the phone with USAA and they told me that unfortunatly the iPhone is not considered a computer and that the insurance on it would not cover accidental damage or loss like it would with my laptop. Seems like you can get difference answers from different people some times all depending on who you speak with. Any advice on what you said in order to get this covered as a computer?