Wow Amazon is Awesome!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ipodlover77, Aug 21, 2013.

1. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

I ordered some car wax from Amazon on July 24th. Realized once I got it that I didn't need it anymore. For some reason (procrastination) I kept putting off returning it. Today I finally decided to move my lazy butt and to drop it off in the mail, my return window was also closing in 4 days.

When I went to Amazon to go process the return they gave me a message that said "No need to return. Its on us!"

I got a refund and was still able to keep the wax. Is this something that Amazon does often? Never seen a company that just said to keep something hah.

2. 835153 Guest

Its car wax. It will probably cost them more than the products value to take it back.

3. ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

I never thought about it like that. I know the reason why I kep procrastinating was the fact that I had to pay return shipping lol. Shipping on a 10 dollar wax would have left me with a 5 dollar refund.

Still, a nice gesture on the part of Amazon.

4. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

I've always had good customer service from Amazon. Though they are huge, they've chosen not to act like other companies who have forgotten who put them on top -- take a lesson Ma Bell.

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

... and it appears they sell everything. I recently purchased a 6" rubber Fernco pipe cap that I could not find locally. Right now I'm considering purchasing a 10' aluminum straight edge from them.

6. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I to have nothing but greatest praises for Amazon's customer service, it's never mattered if it was the UK, French, German or USA sub division; they all gave fantastic service.
    It's one of the major reasons that I recommend Amazon to other people.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I've had a couple of instances where they told me to keep the items. Nothing spectacular or anything and actually both were gifts. Amazon is fairly decent but they tend to be a bit more difficult when someone is purchased 2 days before they slash the price. That happened when I ordered a Bluray trilogy. It was $20 cheaper 2 days later and I found myself asking multiple people to credit me for the price difference.

8. 835153 Guest

The way they see it, and quite rightly I suppose, is that you agreed to buy it at the higher price therefore they have no obligation to offer it to you at the lower price later on. If they didn't lower the price you would be happy with the purchase at the higher price.

9. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Been a steady customer for more than 10 years and never had a problem with their customer service. They actually sent UPS to my house to pick up a few defective products I bought over the years. Getting in touch by phone is a breeze. Never waited more than 2 minutes to speak to a customer service rep. I give them a 10 out of 10 rating.

10. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I had the same experience with a small screwdriver set. I got them, wanted to return them, and they allowed me to just keep them, and refunded the $$. It was less than $20, but that is still pretty awesome, and TOTALLY unheard of with any other company. I've been buying off Amazon for about 8 years now and I turn to them first for every possible purchase that makes sense to do online.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Absolutely. I didn't really say they were wrong or I was right, so much as price matching within days of buying (they had not even shipped yet) is not uncommon for most B&M stores. Regardless, I wasn't a dick about it, I never am, but they do stand their ground typically.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Never had to return anything to Amazon but I've had several packages gone missing over the years. Amazon replaced and shipped 2nd day with no questions asked.

13. CountryBobs macrumors member

They let me return a gently used fleshlight.

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

A what? Was something wrong with it?

15. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Did you at least clean it first?

16. CountryBobs macrumors member

What would be the fun in that.

17. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Amazon are not that great. Any returns they get are passed back to the supplier who is the one that foots the bill.
    Any issues with shipping, its the courier footing the bill.

In the meantime all the smaller independent retails are being forced out of business, or have to supply Amazon (and the like) and see smaller margins and longer extended credit than anybody else.

18. kolax macrumors G3

I've used Amazon a huge amount. Bought such a variety of stuff I never thought I'd get from them - home cinema speakers, pots and pans, clothes, cables, adapters, everything.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Really? I've contacted them a few times about prices going down and gotten a refund or Amazon credit easily. I haven't done it recently though. Plenty of times I've ordered stuff and noticed the price increased shortly afterwards, even before it ships, and they don't ask me to pay the higher price, I figure it all evens out in the end.

Amazon Prime is easily the best 80 bucks I spend a year. Almost anything I buy from them arrives the next day even if I didn't pay for next day shipping. I've always used them for media and electronics, but I'm using it more and more for household goods simply because it's so much easier than going to Target or Home Depot.

20. Happybunny macrumors 68000

This is from another thread, but gives the main reason for Amazon's success.

While looking for something I came across this, it was like finding a dear old forgotten friend again.
    [​IMG]

I will be re-reading this week.

This book illustrates just how much the world has changed.

I ordered this book back in 1983 through a local book store, no internet then. When the book arrived after more than four weeks, I was charged 25.00 Hlf. which was three times the American price.

Amazon changed all that.

21. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

How I envy you, Americans, amazon.... :D I wish all of the items could be shipped to Europe and also not for $100....

22. 835153 Guest

I wasnt having a go at you :p

23. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Oh yeah, I LOVE Amazon. A few months ago I complained about a MP3 album I bought missing a song... Over a YEAR later... And they refunded it. :rolleyes:

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I didn't think you were. :)
    Yes really. I mean, I don't typically make up what is nothing more than a boring story so I can post in a forum. :p

25. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

I love Amazon. I have prime through my college and love it. They have outstanding customer service, even through individual sellers. Never have I waited for a refund or a response from customer service.