Wow, Apple's such a cheapskake!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ryuukumori, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

I noticed on the site that Apple's now charging $20 for an Apple Remote for the MBPs, previously included with all MBPs before the update. How lame!

Just another way for Apple to make quick bucks. I guess this is a gain for those who bought a MBP before. Any comments?

2. duykur macrumors regular

their doing this to keep costs down, most people (unlike me) don't use their apple remotes.

3. Mikebuzzsaw macrumors 6502

Apple is a business and they want to maximize profit? They realized less than a quarter of people actually use the remote and it's not a deal breaker to potential macbook pro buyers if Apple doesn't include it.

4. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Keep costs down. LMFAO!

5. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I mean I don't even use my remote, I might of actually lost it...

ChrisN

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

might not be keeping costs down, but it is keeping unneeded waste down.

7. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I'm surprised they didn't charge for it from the beginning.

8. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Source?

9. MLeepson macrumors 6502

In addition to things mentioned above, they probably also thought that if people can afford an almost $2k machine, they can pay 20 bucks.

10. tennisplaayer11 macrumors member

I just saw that and I was a little surprised that they would charge for the remote, but i kinda understand how they want to keep waste down. I don't really care though because I wouldn't have used the remote anyway.

11. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Shoot with that rational why not $25 or even $30 right?

12. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

i mean i have 3 apple remotes... thats three to many for the amount i use them. IF you are going to use your computer for an entertainment type use, then spend the 20 bucks or get one on ebay for 10.

13. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

2007 Q4 laptop sales: 1.3M

Even at $2 cost, that's $2.6M. That's probably real money, to someone.

I'll agree, it's a very small percentage of the cost of a MB/MBP, but we're not seeing it from the same perspective as their bean-counters.

14. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Next thing you know we will have to buy leopard seperately too. I mean if you can afford a $2500 machine surely you can afford $129 for the os right? Do you all hear how idiotic you sound?

Funny, I didn't see the price of the macbook pro drop by $2. So lets just agree apple is greedy and are now charging $19 for the same setup? We are not getting more for our money, we are getting the same speed ratings for the year we always get. What do I mean by that? The 2.5ghz Penryn is the same price as the 2.4ghz was last year. Its a wash for us except it now costs us more. Why do apple computers keep increasing in price while pc hardware keeps dropping in price???? Like that superdrive cost the same today as it did when it debuted 5yrs ago.

15. MLeepson macrumors 6502

If they did, it would discourage people from use Front Row and other applications that can use the remote.

30 seems a bit hefty. They probably want to charge enough to cover the cost and make a small profit.

16. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

the remotes surely have to be mostly markup, there not much to them! To me, this is a really cheap thing for apple to have done:rolleyes:

17. MLeepson macrumors 6502

Wasn't the AppleTV a "hobby"?

It's just to get a little bit of cash. There's nothing wrong with some cash, is there?

18. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

You all watch that Apple's gonna be selling these remotes, and nobody will buy them... I'd laugh to the humiliation of asking for a profit to pay toward an employee's dinner. lol That's how I feel right now, even though it's so small and people don't use it much. It's like saying, "Oh, here's a cool feature called front row! Guess what? You have to pay $20 for a remote to use it effectively!"

How lame, in my opinion.

19. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Apple: Fleecing the customer.

It is extremely tacky and tasteless of Apple to do this.

First, the thing is certainly not worth $20.00. $5 bucks max.

Second, don't supply something with your computers and then turn around and start charging for it.... Are they doing this on the iMacs now as well??

Third, did Apple somehow forget they have $14 billion in cash just sitting around?

This stinks of greed. I think it is in very poor taste for Apple to start fleecing customers like this. This is an ugly path they've chosen. Question is: what's next? How low will they go for profit?

I suppose this tactic was employed to see them through the projected slowing economic growth and stalling iPod sales. Nevertheless, they have $14 billion...

20. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

apple is a multi national corporation. cheaping out on the remotes is the thin edge of the wedge...lets just see what happens as their market share grows:eek:

21. MLeepson macrumors 6502

Also, the MacBook Air is a machine thats meant to carried around, not to be set on a desk. It makes sense that the remote is not bundled with the computer. Most people won't be traveling with the annoying remote.

22. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

23. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

24. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Not sure how you figure it's the "same speed" or performance as before. It's a Penryn, 45nm with: SSE4 & larger cache (2.5, 2.6) and lower power requirements. Plus, an increase in VRAM (512MB).

For the record, I think they should include it [the remote]. I was just pointing out it's not "free", from a business standpoint.

25. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

Dosn't this remote work with keynote too?
    If so it is not just a media remote.

Apple are turning into rip offs more and more.
    Must be worried his stock is crashing and wants to make nickle's and dime's off us.