Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
@B S Magnet

There are more appropriate things in this world to destroy than a Schizophrenic Florida Man with bad values and questionable motives.

I don't like him any more than you do (actually, I have a history with hotheadedness), but we should both remember that a little perspective in these, and frankly most situations is never remiss...

As I said earlier, I don’t get angry very often! A spare parts hoarder who wilfully destroys iBook clamshells — the antithesis of restoration — and then gouges gullible consumers with his hot messes, and without material repercussion? At a very basic level, that isn’t OK. It’s predatory and wrapped in colourful polka-dots.

And also, unless you know the guy has a diagnosis of schizophrenia and he’s openly so, then it’s really not a good idea to be making flippant diagnoses based solely on how you might perceive him.

Lastly, the proposition of having me fight him was your creation. :p

djjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2020
I don't like him any more than you do (actually, I have a history with hotheadedness), but we should both remember that a little perspective in these, and frankly most situations is never remiss...
One should also assume there is a demand for his products or else he would not be doing it.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Sounds a little cheap compared with the going rate

Apple iBook Clamshell G3 1999-TANGERINE, Excellent Working condition, OSX+OS9

I would steer clear. Who knows what's wrong with it being sold for so little.

Oh mah gosh, I wasn’t serious about buying it. Anything over Say 50 bucks is too rich for my blood as I’m not a collector in the traditional sense. A big part of the fun for me is to find cool old macs free or very cheap. It blows my mind that someone would pay that much but hey it’s their money & suckers abound I suppose. The graphite looks very well kept and has all its case candy etc.

Still $550. o_O

djjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2020
As the old saying goes, “There’s a sucker born every minute.”
Or maybe people like them. Also, you assume he is ruining laptops which would otherwise go to collectors when there's the possibility he is recovering them from heading to recycler where they would be destroyed.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
@B S Magnet Hmm... Then maybe that guide is more applicable for me on a regular basis. I just thought it could be especially useful in times like this, and not necessarily for just you and I. :)

To be fair, they aren't destroyed - the plastic is still fully intact, and is probably still hiding under there somewhere. He just paints over everything with terrible designs and "art" that looks like it came straight out of a schizophrenia patient, which is why I made that comment. I apologize if it was distasteful.

I'm one to believe that these kinds of things have a distinct way of working out themselves. There is no need for material repercussion when nobody is actually getting physically harmed as a result of his choices. His leverage point of business here might be something we vehemently disagree with, but I've often found in life that you can't protect neither stupid nor gullible - it's a fool's errand. His hapless customers will have gotten themselves in such situations, and they will need to deal with the outcome should they have second thoughts (and even then, eBay will side with them when they declare they want a refund, so they'll still get what they want).

Yes. I suggested an "old fashioned" boxing match with boxing gloves, a ring, and rules to follow; which is fair and honorable. Then you painted over that (no pun intended) with how you would fight dirty, and would raid his stash; which isn't fair nor honorable, and could itself be argued predatory. My point was that not all reactive fighting is equal or proportional, especially for different scenarios.

@djjeff Not necessarily. How sure are we that he hasn't just been trying to sell the same several individual iBooks for some time? Maybe I'm losing track, but do we have a concrete idea as to exactly how many laptops he has discreetly defaced thus far? Because they all look the same to me...

But in any case, I agree with that last point. Better an ugly laptop than a nonexistent laptop. In the unlikely event he's saving them from the recyclers and not just scooping them up from eBay, then I suppose that adds some redemption to his work. And then again, we have no idea exactly how many unsold eBay listings end up getting thrown out, so perhaps it holds valid either way in an invisible way to us.

Last edited:
Or maybe people like them. Also, you assume he is ruining laptops which would otherwise go to collectors when there's the possibility he is recovering them from heading to recycler where they would be destroyed.

Maybe.

But as it comes to spare parts on the market, there has always been a demand for clamshell parts (and I’ve continuously owned clamshell iBooks since 2004 and have sought replacement parts for them pretty much constantly since that year). Where clamshell iBooks have met their fate at a recycler or a landfill, it is also just as likely that polka-dot hoard-troll dude never had a chance to leap on them, either.

Which leaves a very limited pool of spare parts out there which aren’t a) being doctored, or b) being used in the service of doctored parts, then offered as grossly inflated prices on an auction web site. Those superficial parts which are being doctored will be exceptionally hard to “fix” them to original condition, as the polycarbonate surfaces are seriously prone to chemically reacting with a lot of adhesives as well as bonding agents in both paint and paint removers.

I think I might take him a slight bit more seriously were he to host his own shopify or woocommerce-styled retail store on his own web site and sell his “““art””” there and not on a general marketplace and using devious language like “rare” or “original” and other deceptive-practice language. He unquestionably has the scratch to afford to have someone to create a web store for him if he can afford to hoard as many clamshell spare parts as he alleges to have.

djjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2020
@djjeff Not necessarily. How sure are we that he hasn't just been trying to sell the same several individual iBooks for some time? Maybe I'm losing track, but do we have a concrete idea as to exactly how many laptops he has discreetly defaced thus far? Because they all look the same to me...
TBH I just don't care. I have better things to do with my time than follow someone on Ebay who is selling a product I may not agree with.

djjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2020
But as it comes to spare parts on the market, there has always been a demand for clamshell parts (and I’ve continuously owned clamshell iBooks since 2004 and have sought replacement parts for them pretty much constantly since that year). Where clamshell iBooks have met their fate at a recycler or a landfill, it is also just as likely that polka-dot hoard-troll dude never had a chance to leap on them, either.
Has he been trolling this forum? The only trolling I see is this forum trolling this individuals Ebay listings because they disagree with his business.

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Yanno I was talking to the new IT guy at our work and found out he is a big PPC era Mac fan who has a number of ppc macs, one of which is a clamshell he bought from his grandpa. Very cool - multi generational ppc Mac story which is pretty cool in my book (well that and a digital audio)

Anyhoo, sorry to hijack the thread :apple:

Yanno I was talking to the new IT guy at our work and found out he is a big PPC era Mac fan who has a number of ppc macs, one of which is a clamshell he bought from his grandpa. Very cool - multi generational ppc Mac story which is pretty cool in my book (well that and a digital audio)

Anyhoo, sorry to hijack the thread :apple:

Nah, these are the posts I log on for. :)

sanfrancisofont1984

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2020
As supply dries up the price is going to increase. I checked IBM PC compatible the other day seems like the ones in Windows 9x era could be more than expensive than the ones in Windows Vista/7 era.

I am not a huge fan of "pro" sellers in general as they naturally only want to "buy low sell high".

Edit: I checked x86 stuff because I am interesting in NeXT built operating systems as well. They did not support PowerPC at all.

Last edited:

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
If recovered from a recycler, anyone with a true intrinsic love for the iBook Clamshell would surely treat them with respect and refurbish back to their original configuration, instead of those very controversial creations.
Being a great fan of G3 Clamshells, I too think it's wicked that he treats them this way. As a very keen artist myself, I've zoomed into 2 of his crazy creations to judge his painting skills. Yes they're hand-painted, but the heavy, uneven and untidy brush strokes are very amateurish. Had the paint job been painstakingly performed with an air-brush giving a professional paint finish, he would at least have gained a little recognition for his talent, but still 0/10 for very bad taste of his chosen support.
Put it this way: if I ever found a Clamshell with a totally bad top shell, I'd perhaps consider re-applying a paint undercoat to the lid, and then by use of an airbrush come up with a pleasing scene and retain it myself as a one-off for display and conversation piece. However professional the end result may be I would never release it on the gullible more-money-than sense public.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
However professional the end result may be I would never release it on the gullible more-money-than sense public.
My opinion on the matter is - if you don't know what you're buying, don't buy it. If you buy it anyway, expect to be screwed. Shorter: caveat emptor.

Reactions: Raging Dufus

djjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2020
If recovered from a recycler, anyone with a true intrinsic love for the iBook Clamshell would surely treat them with respect and refurbish back to their original configuration, instead of those very controversial creations.
Being a great fan of G3 Clamshells, I too think it's wicked that he treats them this way. As a very keen artist myself, I've zoomed into 2 of his crazy creations to judge his painting skills. Yes they're hand-painted, but the heavy, uneven and untidy brush strokes are very amateurish. Had the paint job been painstakingly performed with an air-brush giving a professional paint finish, he would at least have gained a little recognition for his talent, but still 0/10 for very bad taste of his chosen support.
Put it this way: if I ever found a Clamshell with a totally bad top shell, I'd perhaps consider re-applying a paint undercoat to the lid, and then by use of an airbrush come up with a pleasing scene and retain it myself as a one-off for display and conversation piece. However professional the end result may be I would never release it on the gullible more-money-than sense public.
Controversial to whom? His target market? Or the purist here on MR?

Burz

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2020
Would anyone be able to tell me a price on a New Old Stock Blue Clamshell seal still intact box in good shape. Cant find any new ones listed on ebay.

Reactions: AL1630

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
New Old Stock? Wow! Depending on model I‘d estimate a sane price starting arund 400 to 500 bucks; if its a key lime model at 466 MHz it could easily go beyond 1000, very likely even more.
NOS is pretty hard to find, so there‘s little data available

AL1630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
Would anyone be able to tell me a price on a New Old Stock Blue Clamshell seal still intact box in good shape. Cant find any new ones listed on ebay.
Could you send some photos or more details? This could be really interesting.

Burz

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2020
Yeah there is one for sale locally for €400 euro, was thinking of getting it, I have a keylime (not 466mhz tho) and a blue already but I have no boxed clamshells sadly. Will message seller and see if I can grab it for 250-300 nd il be happy

Reactions: ScreenSavers

Burz

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2020
Yeah there is one for sale locally for €400 euro, was thinking of getting it, I have a keylime (not 466mhz tho) and a blue already but I have no boxed clamshells sadly. Will message seller and see if I can grab it for 250-300 nd il be happy
I have a meeting set up with him for Wednesday, chat and haggle on price, will more than likely be buying it anyway, will take pictures and update then, also would anyone know if anyone makes clear plastic box protectors for clamshell boxes, as I would be having it as display piece.

AL1630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
I have a meeting set up with him for Wednesday, chat and haggle on price, will more than likely be buying it anyway, will take pictures and update then, also would anyone know if anyone makes clear plastic box protectors for clamshell boxes, as I would be having it as display piece.
Do you mean a snap on style case or more of a display case type thing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.