Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
@ScreenSavers From what you could gather, does he generally abduct just the Clamshells, or does he get the Snow models too?
He does have G3 and G4 white iBooks from time to time, but they aren't customized, just priced crazy high and sometimes bundled with other items but still not worth his asking price. (Not my auction, of course.)

Reactions: ScreenSavers

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Also, just noticed he doesn't even offer returns, at his asking prices that is absurd. I can get it for the iMac G3 or something similar, but these are laptops...

Reactions: Amethyst1

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Also, just noticed he doesn't even offer returns, at his asking prices that is absurd. I can get it for the iMac G3 or something similar, but these are laptops...
Dunno how this works in the US but a seller's stating "no returns" is pretty meaningless in the UK. if something isn't right, the seller doesn't get a penny and eBay pretty much always sides with the buyer. As for buyer's remorse, if there is nothing wrong with the item, what sort of fool parts with $$$ and then thinks nah?

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
Objection! "Pretty but useless" is a really unfair description of these old "tools", since they might cover >50% of basic things expected from a computer and in combination with a mobile device even more. And they might be a 100% distraction-free.
But basically you're right: they are pretty, they are vintage and collectible (but still not useless).

Unfortunately, the other 50% of basic computer use is surfing the Internet / YouTube, for which a G3 iBook wouldn't be many people's weapon of choice. I take your point about being distraction-free on that count, though.

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
Absurd creations, absurd prices, absurd service.

For that kind of money, he could at least rebuild the battery packs with new, high-quality cells. That would be adding actual value. Rather than selling a $700 laptop that needs to stay tethered to the mains. Plus all those 'gifts' are just useless tripe like old MacAddict cover CDs, crap headphones, a mousepad and the original 3GB HDD he took out of the iBook. What a joke.

Reactions: z970 and Amethyst1

Cancelled
Jun 16, 2020
Unfortunately, the other 50% of basic computer use is surfing the Internet / YouTube, for which a G3 iBook wouldn't be many people's weapon of choice. I take your point about being distraction-free on that count, though.
But they do have probably the best keyboards that Apple ever had on a laptop. Remember the old days, when the quality of the keyboard just a given and you never really had to think about it?

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
I certainly do - I was using my Pismo just the other day. I also just pulled the ol' toilet seat (iBook) off the shelf to drum the keyboard - it is solid. The whole machine is built like a tank, though is commensurately thick and heavy. The screen is quite nice too, though the resolution was a bit low, even for the era.

One thing that always catches me about old Apple laptops is the lack of two-fingered scrolling. Having to use Ctrl is a bit of a drag.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Plus all those 'gifts' are just useless tripe like old MacAddict cover CDs, crap headphones, a mousepad and the original 3GB HDD he took out of the iBook.
Throwing in useless crap is much easier than rebuilding the battery. And perhaps the kind of person who buys these machines thinks that stuff is of some value.

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
Throwing in useless crap is much easier than rebuilding the battery.

I think this sums it up. It would be a useful skill for this guy to learn, though, as good condition batteries for these machines are essentially non-existent. OTOH, you wouldn't want to burn someone's house down by selling them a laptop with a Li-ion battery pack you had cobbled together yourself.

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
I'm sure the modifications will age beautifully..!

Has anyone tried using Web Rendering Proxy with machines like these? I intend to get round to trying this at some point. Would be interesting to see whether it makes surfing the 'net on an old G3 serviceable.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Has anyone tried using Web Rendering Proxy with machines like these?

Reactions: bobesch

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
Wasn't familiar with those projects - WebOne looks good. I was thinking of this one: https://github.com/tenox7/wrp, which renders pages as a bunch of PNGs in a clickable image map. Should work with practically anything that has a web browser (though won't run YouTube etc, obviously).

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
Dunno how this works in the US but a seller's stating "no returns" is pretty meaningless in the UK. if something isn't right, the seller doesn't get a penny and eBay pretty much always sides with the buyer. As for buyer's remorse, if there is nothing wrong with the item, what sort of fool parts with $$$ and then thinks nah?

Same as US, at least when I see a product with "No Returns". It's just a phrase people put on their auctions that doesn't hold up if the product ends up being defective or incorrect. Ebay still allows you to return the item back to the seller, with the expectation of the seller making it 'right'.

djjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2020
A lot of them out there. The 8-bit guy did a video on his experiences selling on Ebay:

eBay and Craiglist, the reality of doing business.

@B S Magnet You guys should have a boxing match to settle things the good old fashioned way.

If he loses, he has to stop butchering all the iBooks. :)

It wouldn’t be a fair fight. I fight dirty and I would tear him to tatters.

Then I’d raid his unadulterated “stock” of parts and give them all away to folks just trying to keep their clamshells running. I’d pay him a dollar for the entire stock — for his trouble and his time.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
@B S Magnet

There are more appropriate things in this world to destroy than a Schizophrenic Florida Man with bad values and questionable motives.

I don't like him any more than you do (actually, I have a history with hotheadedness), but we should both remember that a little perspective in these, and frankly most situations is never remiss...

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
A graphite clamshell just popped up on my local CL for an easy $550 USD. I think I’ll just run right out & but it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.