wow macbook pro 2.4 alu for $1500 shiped

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by travis64, Jan 19, 2009.

1. travis64 macrumors 6502a

travis64

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'm pretty sure that he didn't actually have ANY of them.

3. travis64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

travis64

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You always see them in multiples, and they're always cheaper than they could ever possibly be.

No one is dumb enough to sell new Apple hardware for that much less than Apple unless they're scamming you.

5. travis64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

travis64

idk his fb is good been a member since 07

i think it was a misprint cause he got the 2.0 for 1400

6. thesmallelder macrumors newbie

I got my NIB Macbook Pro 2.4 unibody + 3 years Applecare off of a Craigslist listing for $1500 last weekend, so this deal isn't impossible. Somehow, people are getting them at way below cost (the guy I bought it from told he got a student discount, but I'm a student and I know there is no discount like that). I opened it up before handing over the money and everything checked out, so I'm happy.

Check your craigslist listings. You can definitely get them below retail and pay no tax. Also, you can usually bargain things down a bit (I went from $1700 to $1500).

7. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

Uh... wow, I dunno. Sounds like it's hot.

8. applgeek macrumors member

I think that this guy went from selling radio scanners to computers, and he uses All stock pictures. He also doesnt state the condition of the laptop.

Basically, this guy probably had someone hack into his ebay account.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Or simply new machines from a massive credit card fraud laundering scheme.

Really easy to sell machines cheap, have them delivered and forwarded to their new owners for a smoking deal.

Some here have bought from these places and got their machines.

10. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

This is my fav. pep peeve.

People always jump to conclusions like this. Why not read the feedback first?

And even if he doesn't send you an item, you could always file a dispute on PayPal.

11. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Do you really wanna play games with $1500?

12. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

No... this is why you use a credit card and PayPal. Double protection... from your CC and from PayPal.

Trust me, if they don't send you an item, Paypal will refund your money... it's that simple. I've been with eBay for a long time and I have accumulated over +100 feedback.

ACTUALLY, I don't know if you guys know the new eBay rule. If you pay by PayPal, the seller does NOT get the funds cleared to him until you:

1. leave positive feedback or,
    2. there's a confirmation of delivery (only by USPS, UPS, FEDEX and some other companies listed on their site... so none of this ******** from another country)

I think that's pretty safe. I sold a few items on eBay the last 2 months, and had funds held from the buyer ($60 item). I'm pretty sure they will hold $1500 to ensure the buyer gets the right/real product.

And this is not a scam, you actually go into PayPal and it says your funds are on hold until shipment. I think that's a great idea to prevent all these stupid scammers.

13. herman59 macrumors newbie

student discount

I just bought a mbp, not the latest but last generation a few weeks ago from the UCLA store for $1190 plus tax. I am not even a student. I tried to get one thru craigslist but it turned out to be a scam.

14. jono_3 macrumors regular

ive got a rev 4,1 macbook pro that i love. i am envious of the new cases and glass trackpad, but for the price thats a great deal

15. travis64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

travis64

ok guys i sent this guy an offer just messing around for a 2.0 alu macbook

$914

...just got a email saying i won

wow think this guy might be a scam thats to low

guys try sending him really low offers

i didnt pay yet

From: "Joseph Foster" <mysiteiseasy@hotmail.com> Add to Address BookAdd to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
    To: travis@yahoo.com
    Subject: RE: macbook pro
    Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 01:35:11 -0700

I have not opened a website yet. my product changes I sell what is available to me.
    I can sell you one as cheap as 1100.00 plus the free shipping If you are interested let me know and I will send you a the bill thru paypal.
    thanks again

lol must be fake

16. Norco macrumors regular

Whenever I'm looking through craigslist or anything else, I remember the saying... "if its too good to be true, then it probably is." I would heavily recommend not just sending random money through paypal until you check the protection policy paypal has.

Also regarding paypal holding funds until the buyer receives the product, that is true. I sold my mac pro just this week and paypal is holding the funds. It makes me a little nervous though, as I feel they are giving all the power to the buyer and playing games with my money. Now on almost any item I'm doing signature required, because I've heard horror stories of scammers ripping off sellers.

17. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

eh, i just bought one for $1500 from the same seller.

the fact that there are no ACTUAL pictures of the item, and he sold fake iphones/ipod touches in the past doesn't lend to his credibility, but he IS "id verified" by ebay, which scammers usually stay away from.

my guess that the seller's account got hijacked. i think people who receive these notebooks as gifts, but who aren't apple savvy can easily underestimate their value, but a reseller probably isn't that dumb to price them at a loss

but i payed via credit card on paypal.

NEVER go through paypal's dispute procedure. always go through your credit card. your credit card is on your side!

18. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

1100 seems right for a 2.0 Alu. MacBook. Please read what I said above about eBay/PayPal policy.

19. BornToMac macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

I have a new 17" unibody MBP that I will sell to you for $750 cash... Actually I have 10 of them, available to the first 10 people who put $750 cash in an envelope and mail it to me. Oh and I live in another country.:cool:

20. Y2JDMBFAN macrumors regular

I legitimately bought a 2.53GHz Unibody Macbook Pro for $1800 from someone off of Craigslist...Sealed in box still, met the guy at a coffee shop and everything was legit...There are deals out there to be had...Wasn't exactly budgeted for this purchase, but couldn't pass up the deal...

Y2J

21. travis64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

travis64

uni good luck

if i get mine i will sell it then buy the pro maybe from him

got tracking #
    9102 1501 3471 1530 9809 67
    usps

22. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

what is this a tracking number for?

did you buy a MBP for $1500?

did you get it off of ebay or was this a private transaction?

23. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

its a scam. usps automatically says if an item was delivered without your signature. he could send you a photo then when you go to dispute it he could go look i have the usps delivery confirmation that an item was delivered. bam you lose your money.

telling you its a scam.

24. travis64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

travis64

25. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

i hate to say it, but there is still room for being a scam

Popular methods include:

fake tracking number - because USPS takes a while for it to be in the system, you could wait and wait

not a macbook inside - someone pulled a scam on a scammer and sent a box to europe, leaving the scammer to pay for custom/duty fees on a notebook he thought he had scammed (there was a binder with the words "powerbook" and some rocks glued to the binder to represent keys.)

(yes, the scammer go scammed himself)

i wouldn't count on it being legit until you actually receive it and open it and turn it on.

remember that notebooks aren't shrink wrapped and even if they were, there are machines that people can buy easily to re-shrinkwrap.

I've been on the short end of a couple scams, so i've been vigilant ever since.