Wow, texting is....

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by quackers82, Apr 25, 2015.

1. quackers82 macrumors 6502

Easier to do on the watch than on my iPhone . Not had it even 24 hours yet and when I'm not in a public place ( so I don't look an idiot) I'm doing almost all my texting from the watch. It's so much easier, watch taps you because somebody text you, raise arm to read, tap reply, then tap the mic, and say your response, send. All done. Most convenient when I'm doing something like eating .

Really did not expect texting would be my main use.

2. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

I was pleasantly surprised at the dictation accuracy, much better than my phone by a considerable margin.

3. matrix07, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015

matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

It would be even more convenient if Apple allow us to use voice response. Like "Reply" to reply to text, "Accept" to accept phone call, for example so we can use our Watch in a true hand-free fashion.

4. jaeb0922 macrumors 6502

jaeb0922

I was texting this morning in a restaurant at breakfast... got great looks... and then a question, "Is that an Apple Watch?!"....

Sure is! BIOTCHES!:)

5. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

haven't taken out my phone since i got my watch with the exception of using it to tweak watch settings and check my morning iPhone games. Amazing.

6. iVegas macrumors 6502

iVegas

I'm also impressed. All of my dictated messages translated correctly. Siri even got all cuss words right!

7. Chiguy12 macrumors member

Chiguy12

Before the Apple watch rarely used dictation but it's so much faster than typing. Sorry Siri for neglecting you for all these years. So far I haven't had Siri mess up my texts and I do have a slight accent.

8. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

LOVE texting. And the auto responses are cool too.

My wrist just got tapped, my prescriptions are ready for pick up at my pharmacy. :D

9. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I always use dictation unless I'm in a situation where I don't want anybody to overhear me. I'm using it right now actually!

10. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

Not my cuss words! Especially the ones I invented! Still waiting on my SS BSB 42mm (along with 1000's of others) and when my wife's Watch arrived, I tested it out!!! :eek:

Stupid Apple. I love/hate you right now.

11. dalcorn1 macrumors regular

Not tried it yet on the watch but with Siri on the phone you could say reply and it would start replying to your last message

12. orangerock macrumors regular

How is whispering/talking low voice recognition working with texting?
    You know, you're in public and don't have any anyone to hear a text response.

13. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

[​IMG]
    :D

14. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

Me waiting for my Apple Watch while reading everyone's comments on how they love theirs

[​IMG]

15. David R macrumors 6502

I'm glad you said this because I was thinking the same thing earlier today. When I try to dictate a text with my phone, it always gets a word or two wrong, to the point that it would have been faster to type my reply.

But the watch has gotten every single one of my replies perfectly the very first time. Which is odd because at the end of the day, the voice is still going, through the phone, to the same servers.

Maybe it has to do with the microphone?

I originally thought that replying via the watch would be a gimmick I wouldn't use after a couple of days, but so far it's turning out to be the easiest and fastest way to reply.

16. samcraig macrumors P6

For the past two weeks everyone has asked if my LG G is an Apple watch. Clearly not everyone was following the launch date.
    But yeah - texting (responding to texts, whatsapp, emails, etc) is very neat on the Android Wear I have. I only use it for short responses. Still use my phone for the more complicated.

17. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Okay this might be a dumb question… How is it that dictation is better on the watch than iPhone or iPad? Just a better microphone? Good to hear that it's quite accurate considering there is no manual text input on the watch.

18. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I like that you can send it as a vocal message if it can't tell what you are saying.

19. Sparkeze macrumors 6502a

Sparkeze

I also found that it was more accurate than voice to text on my phone. I added more canned responses too, which makes it even quicker!

20. betoarredondo macrumors newbie

Have anyone tried dictation on whatsapp?? Or the dictation and voice message features only works with iMessage?

I'll be getting my Apple watch later today, but just wondering about what's app features. If they don't work, I'll be in the iMessage boat again.

21. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

New chip in S1 to detect language?

22. stocklen macrumors member

Oddly, I've found it to be slightly worse.

Dictation has always been great and surprisingly accurate though I've found via the watch that it makes a few more mistakes than I'm used to on the phone.

Maybe its the microphone.

Its not bad... just wouldn't have said it was better than the phone - slightly less so.

23. megatron2000 macrumors newbie

I was thinking the same thing this morning. Voice text is fantastic.

24. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Siri works crazy accurate on the watch. I've been doing the same all day yesterday.

25. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

I have also noticed that my dictation on the watch is better than it was before.

I doubt this is the watch itself, but am willing to bet that Apple pushed an update to Siri with a more accurate system. This would make sense to push a more accurate system alongside the watch release since it will likely increase the number of people using Siri dictation.