WSJ: Apple Apps Unfairly Dominate App Store Search Results

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Treebark macrumors 6502

Treebark

Like it or not some people see Apple as holding a mobile monopoly in the app market, even Bill Gates somewhat implied this with his comments, see: https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/24/...orms-network-effect-android-mistake-microsoft

Developers, opponents, and even lawmakers are asking questions.

Examples from other sectors where there are brands on nearly equal footing are not analogous (Ford in Chevy dealer lots, Coke in Pepsi machines).

I don't see Apple as a monopoly, and nothing wrong if they promote their products over others, but part of that is because I like their products.

But something like this isn't exactly helpful to them.

2. now i see it macrumors 68040

any app popping up at the top of the list after a search query isn't significant if other relevant (competitive) ones are listed soon after. I could see someone complaining if their app was listed #30 on a search list and Apple's was #1, but everything that turns up (in any order) within the first 15 listed is essentially on equal ground.
    Does anyone just blindly download the first app that appears after a search? I doubt it.

3. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Don't tell them that most of these apps are installed by default on users' devices too! You don't even have a choice before you buy it. /s

4. DZakDad macrumors newbie

How odd, I just did a search on WSJ.com and all of the search results were wsj.com links.

5. cocky jeremy macrumors 601

cocky jeremy

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

So what? They are the one who developed the platform and put all the work, time, and money in making it. So why shouldn’t their apps be featured first? It’s not like people can’t scroll to see their other options. I have no problem with that.

7. The_Martini_Cat macrumors member

The_Martini_Cat

Why would you search the app store for the maps app? It's on your computer for free. It's a damn good app too, I use it practically every day.

And since the name of the app is "Maps", I would expect it to show up on a search, even though the search is one I would not have any reason to conduct.

8. cardfan macrumors 68000

Searched for "maps" just now. Google maps listed first. Apple maps second.

The only thing I'd see as a concern (if i cared enough) is not having reviews for apple's apps if that's supposedly a component in all this.

9. gaximus macrumors 6502a

So if I owned a mall, and a restaurant franchise, I wouldn't be allowed to put my restaurant at the front of the food court?

10. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Um, no kidding WSJ.

You know WSJ has provided some excellent coverage on some of Apple’s problems (Please do something on iPad touch disease WSJ), but this article is a non-starter.

11. falainber macrumors 68000

falainber

Apple Music is free?

12. Quu macrumors 68030

Quu

Haha, I got it mixed up so bad. Edited my post :)

13. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

If you search Maps, Apple’s app literally called “Maps” displays first 60% of the time? Shocking! :eek:

Seriously though, it would make everyone happy if they added filters for relevance and popularity.

14. Labeno macrumors 6502

Labeno

If I built an app search engine, I would create search criteria that would list stuff first that made the customer happy:
    • Free
    • no in-app purchases
    • no annoying ad banners
    • protect privacy
    Apple may have done something similar. Notice that the search criteria is not design to benefit Apple, but a side effect is that Apple apps are list first. This is what I want as a customer, not annoying apps.

15. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Apple Music is a stand-alone app?

16. AtomicDusk macrumors member

AtomicDusk

In other news, is liquid water wet? We'll find out after sports; now to you, Tom.

I mean come on WSJ what an idiotic piece of 'journalism'. The first listed of HDMI on Amazon is an Amazon Basics cable. This isn't new. It's their platform, and they can use it how they like.

17. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

You could put your restaurant wherever you wanted to put your restaurant. My analogy was just a more accurate description of what the WSJ is claiming Apple is doing. I am criticizing the terribly incorrect analogies, not rendering an opinion on the WSJ claim.

18. mjbadagliacco macrumors newbie

mjbadagliacco

Ummmm NO!

19. Wowmail macrumors member

Wowmail

It's called Business 101:

My Company, My products get promoted over competitors.

Apple has a fidicuary responsibility to stock holders. Not the world, Not other compeditors, Not employees, Not the loonies on either side who scream scream scream.. Just stock holders. STOCK HOLDERS.

Disclaimer: I do not own Apple Stock, just a lot of their gear :)

20. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

The Apple Music app is free, yes.

21. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

Man - there are some really bad takes and completely incorrect analogies in this thread.

22. falainber macrumors 68000

falainber

How is that relevant? That's the type of app that brings revenues and the Apple version of it happens to haver special placement in App Store which is the essence of this story.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 23, 2019 ---
    By your definition every app is or can be made free (that is until you want to actually use it). It's a revenue generating app. It's not free.

23. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

You have a point. Apple could give Music, News, and TV equal treatment as third parties then. But any other app (Notes, Calenders) is a non issue.

24. jtinch macrumors member

Is "not a monopoly" the standard that Apple should be held to?

25. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

No there aren’t! I’ll try to explain.

It’s like if you’ve got a car and it’s got four wheels. You suddenly get a puncture on one and take it to a garage. The garage said that your spare tyre is also flat, so you buy a new tyre from them.

They fit the new tyre onto your car and advise you buy another to put as a spare. You decline but say you’ll think about it later.

The third party apps are like the alloys on the wheels and Apple is like the garage. The car is the App Store.

The flat spare tyre that you choose to keep is the consumer. The spare tyre that you didn’t buy is the cloud where the App Store is housed.

Does that make more sense?