Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
This sounds like the situation with Microsoft and preinstalling IE who were found guilty of unfair practises by the EU a decade or so ago.

Don’t use either AppleMusic or Spotify, no skin in this game.

Did you use iPhone? Did you get bombard with Apple Music?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Bad for us. If Spotify eventually fails, then its one step closer to this "lock in" to ecosystems. Spotify has to make a profit on just the Music business while their big competitors do not. If they clear the field of the "Spotifys", and have you so intertwined in their ecosystem... well I just don't think that will end well for the consumer.
If you're streaming you're already locked in. You can't take the music with you when you stop paying.

Go Apple!

squirrellydw

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2003
Take this Spotify. Apple bans all 3rd party music apps from the App Store. Now you have something to complain about until then make your own devices. Your service sucks. Apple Music is much better

jjohnstonjr

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
Spotify’s user interface could use some sprucing up. Apple Music’s interface is seemingly smoother. Also the one main thing that hinders Spotify is the lack of music in their library. I only use Spotify to listen to the Joe Budden Podcast. I’ve even toyed around with Tidal for a while but ended up coming back to Apple Music.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Yet Apple Music still suggests Levels by Avicii even though I have smashed the "Dislike" button numerous times. Hope all those new subscribers love the "For You" just as much as I do.

Once Apple figures out that when we hit the 'dislike' button on a track, we don't want to hear it again, I'll try AM again. Until then, Spotify works best for me (especially with Hulu included).

Reactions: Pirate!

Tazadrt

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2017
Let’s plug in the numbers

Apple worldwide user base : 50 million
Spotify worldwide user base: 96 million

Let’s be generous and use the higher end growth prediction for Apple (2.8%) and Lower end prediction for Spotify growth (2%)

Predicted Apple growth: 1.4 million
Predicted Spotify growth: 1.9 million

I’ll stop there.

p.s tidal user, since you ask

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
I just left Apple Music last month after many years and went with Spotify, streaming quality is excellent, equalizer function is nice and the music algorithms seem better to me at least. YYMV..............Ed

Reactions: Voodoodisco

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I was just clarifying, Sir/Madam.
Cool, it sounded like you thought there was something underhanded about the reporting when you said: “One can make numbers mean anything.” Really, if you had just read the first paragraph of the article you probably wouldn’t have been so confused:

“Apple had more than 28 million U.S. subscribers in February compared to Spotify's 26 million paid U.S. subscribers.”

Reactions: rbgaynor

Intellectua1

Suspended
Jun 3, 2016
Seattle, Washington
Spotify’s user interface could use some sprucing up. Apple Music’s interface is seemingly smoother. Also the one main thing that hinders Spotify is the lack of music in their library. I only use Spotify to listen to the Joe Budden Podcast. I’ve even toyed around with Tidal for a while but ended up coming back to Apple Music.
I keep hearing about this Joe Budden podcast, think I'll check it out.

Reactions: jjohnstonjr

19SK91

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2014
I don’t remember being bombarded. Now how I define bombarded is what youtube does. They put a pop up every other day on my feed. No matter how many times I click no, they push their protube or whatever on me.

Same here. I also get the free 1 month trial pop up all the time. Once I wanted to start the trial and it isn‘t even free for me. Nice try Google. As long as the YouTube app is as crappy as it currently is and they don‘t offer PiP at all I‘m not gonna pay a cent. For now I use a shortcut for PiP.

Reactions: rtomyj

Exxhara

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2017
I tried Spotify and couldn’t find a lot of songs that were on Apple Music. Why I stuck with Apple Music

This tbh. I had the same experience too. More artists are putting their music on Apple Music compared to Spotify and they're releasing it earlier on AM too. So it's a no-brainer...

Reactions: jjohnstonjr

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Plus if you, like me, have a lot of rare CDs you can actually upload those and have them with you everywhere while on Spotify you can only listen to what’s on their servers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is iTunes Match, not Apple Music. I also use that, and am not an Apple Music subscriber.

In the end, it is about personal preference. Others choice of music subscription, phone, OS, etc does not affect me.
I don't know why people take it to heart so much...

Reactions: Tazadrt

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I Guarantee this doesn’t sit well with Spotify. Good for Apple. Competition is much needed in this sector.

There are actually too many companies trying to get into this market to sustain profitability. Apple would be smart to buy Spotify and close it down. Too many players in this sector only drives down the subscription prices they can charge.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I just left Apple Music last month after many years and went with Spotify, streaming quality is excellent, equalizer function is nice and the music algorithms seem better to me at least. YYMV..............Ed
FYI, apple music has an equalizer, if you didn't know. Most people don't.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I tried Spotify once, when it launched, and it sounded like a 96kbps mp3 stream, like Sirius radio... never went back. Loving my Apple Music.

so you tried spotify back in 2008, and then compared it's 2008 features to a service that only launched in 2015...

and you're basic your entire comparison on that? No problems with Apple music, but your logic is fairly flawed as to why Spotify today might not be your choice as technologies in data compression, stream quality and bandwidth have changed tremendously since 2008

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
It’s funny how tribal people are being about this. I’ve used them both extensively, and they’re both good. Nearly the same product with some minor tweaks and hiccups either way.

Reactions: Crow T Robot

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is iTunes Match, not Apple Music. I also use that, and am not an Apple Music subscriber.

I’m not iTunes Match subscriber. Never have. So you’re wrong (that it’s not Apple Music).

outskirtsofinfinity

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2017
Calgary
so you tried spotify back in 2008, and then compared it's 2008 features to a service that only launched in 2015...

and you're basic your entire comparison on that? No problems with Apple music, but your logic is fairly flawed as to why Spotify today might not be your choice as technologies in data compression, stream quality and bandwidth have changed tremendously since 2008

I'm sure it has, but the fact that they would even think of launching the service before the technology "was there" is outrageous. Apple waited until the right time. And they will have double of Spotify subscribers within 8 years.

This is neither here nor there, I know.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
They sure can't here in Europe.
Numbers to back that up?
[doublepost=1554484876][/doublepost]
It can’t. The US market is only a fraction of the market, and Spotify has also a free service with tons of subscribers. Apple Music has only a small fraction of the total Spotify users and it will be like that for the foreseeable future, unless they also introduce a free tier.
Free = dead company.

Also, nothing is free.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
This stat is only true in US. Apple need to focus more on their international customers. I still don’t have access to the News app even!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.