WSJ on 2019 iPhones: Triple-Lens Rear Camera on Next iPhone XS Max and Dual Rear on Next iPhone XR

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 11, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple plans to release three new iPhone models later this year, according to a report from The Wall Street Journal today:iPhone XR successor with a LCD display and dual-lens rear camera
    iPhone XS successor with an OLED display and dual-lens rear camera
    iPhone XS Max successor with an OLED display and triple-lens rear camera
    All three models may lack 3D TouchWell-known Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said the same thing back in October, but there's a few new details here. Let's recap.

[​IMG]

First, we've been hearing rumors that at least one new iPhone in 2019 will feature a triple-lens rear camera for quite some time, and it makes sense that it might be a feature exclusive to the highest-end, highest-priced successor to the iPhone XS Max.

The third lens could allow for advanced 3D sensing, improved optical zoom, and other functions. Earlier this week, we saw a render of what the triple-lens camera array may look like, and the design is quite polarizing:

[​IMG]
    Image Credit: OnLeaks/Digit

A triple-lens rear camera on the next iPhone XS Max, whatever it is named, would increase its differentiation with the iPhone XS. The two smartphones are very similar as they exist now, with the iPhone XS Max's sole differences being a larger 6.5-inch display versus the 5.8-inch iPhone XS and longer battery life.

Meanwhile, this is the first we've heard that the iPhone XR successor may feature dual rear cameras, up from a single lens currently.

Apple has been aggressively marketing the iPhone XR, a lower-priced alternative with most-but-not-all features of the flagship iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max models. A dual rear camera could increase the $749 starting price of the iPhone XR, or eat into Apple's profit margins slightly if pricing remains unchanged.

Apple may remove 3D Touch from its entire 2019 iPhone lineup, according to the report. This is a rumor we've heard before and likely means that Haptic Touch would extend from the iPhone XR to the next versions of the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max.

Last, the report claims Apple is considering dropping the LCD model and making a complete shift to OLED displays in 2020. We've heard this rumor before, but some initially believed the transition to all-OLED would happen in 2019. This means the iPhone XR could be discontinued or upgraded to OLED next year.

Article Link: WSJ on 2019 iPhones: Triple-Lens Rear Camera on Next iPhone XS Max and Dual Rear on Next iPhone XR

2. vaxes macrumors member

Here we go again with the split between with the XS & Max.
    Gotta raise those profits...

3. Snownoob macrumors newbie

Snownoob

3D Touch is an incredibly useful feature and I would be very disappointed if they remove it! I'm also ambivalent about the design of the triple cameras shown in the article. I hope Apple ends up choosing something more attractive.

4. Skeith macrumors member

"making a complete shift to OLED displays in 2020. We've heard this rumor before, but some initially believed the transition to all-OLED would happen in 2019. This means the iPhone XR could be discontinued or upgraded to OLED next year."

No. Not this OLED B$.

then all the models will be more expensive. way to go.

Apple should start a course on how to crash your stock prices 101.

5. Stygma macrumors member

Stygma

I was so happy that there was finally no difference between the XS and XS max, if they do this ,it will be a step backwards.

6. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

7. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

$8 of extra camera for $199 :)

Glad I got the 512GB iPhone XS Max, its going to last me the next 5 years.

Hopefully some real cool innovation might have happened by then.

8. swm macrumors regular

i hope we reach a state where there'll be 32 or 64 cameras on the back, so that ugly protruding bump finally disappears...

9. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

Apple still thinking that raising the prices offering nothing is the solution.

10. PlayUltimate macrumors regular

PlayUltimate

Hate the lens bump. But it might be useful for external camera attachments; which I don't use.

11. Snownoob macrumors newbie

Snownoob

Agreed. I chose the XS this generation because I don't want the larger model, it's just less comfortable for me to use; I don't want to have to choose between comfort and features.

12. swm macrumors regular

good god, this phone is almost every way superior to my 2015 MBA.

13. PlayUltimate macrumors regular

PlayUltimate

Would be nice to see a smaller dimensioned XR mini.

14. rmoliv, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019

rmoliv macrumors 6502a

Looks like a tumor is growing on the iPhone in that render. Horrible, hopefully not true but I also thought they would never name the Max, Max...

15. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

When the WSJ says it, it's true. Even if it wasn't going to happen...it will now.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2019 ---
    I will never, ever buy a "plus" or "max" sized phone. But, it's irritating when Apple makes better hardware "only available on the phablet". :mad:

16. groundedUX macrumors newbie

Ugly as sin must be a new design fad. Anyone remember when good design was a thing?

Plus the non flush cameras. Please solve Apple, I feel like a convo went like this at headquarters:
    Someone that cares about UX: “the cameras stick out. Sucks. Let’s solve cuz we can.”
    Someone that doesn’t: “nah, add another camera.”

17. PlayUltimate macrumors regular

PlayUltimate

Anticipating the day when desktops/laptops go away entirely and it becomes only your phone being connected. You can almost do that now using Airplay and a bluetooth keyboard. Albeit the apps are not yet quite compatible.

18. Adam Warlock macrumors regular

Adam Warlock

Meanwhile, back on Earth, most people are still looking for a truly affordable iPhone with significantly better battery life. *sigh*

19. ant the ninja macrumors 6502

ant the ninja

If this one loses force touch, it will be the first time since the 4 that I did not upgrade yearly. I use force touch all the time and I think its ridiculous that losing it is even a possibility.

20. Eagle1337 macrumors member

The camera bump looks a bit like the one on Huawei mate 20 Pro.

21. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Is 3D sensing in or out for 2019? Seems like conflicting information. Are the iPhones 7 and 8 going to be for same in 2019? The camera bump doesn’t bother me but Apple, whatever you decide, Keep my 3dt.

22. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

slight processor bump, minor camera improvement... wash.. rinse... repeat

23. CrazyForCashews macrumors regular

24. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

'innovation' they said..

Man that triple camera is gonna look hideous!

not a fan of the tear drop on x/xs either

bring back the 7/8plus horizontal dual cam!

25. philipandrews macrumors member

I don't think it would be. I use the Moment wide angle lens for some projects and it only works in one position at a time. Also it requires the use of a proprietary case to hold the lens in place. If Apple goes with this 3 lens design it would require a lot of engineering to figure out how to keep the external lens' in place.