WSJ on 2019 iPhones: Triple-Lens Rear Camera on Next iPhone XS Max and Dual Rear on Next iPhone XR

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 11, 2019.

1. StaceyMJ86 macrumors 65816

StaceyMJ86

The 256GB XS Max is the most I will pay for the next X Max. If this year’s is more, I will gladly pay for last year’s model.

2. StaceyMJ86 macrumors 65816

StaceyMJ86

I have the X and skipped last year’s XS Max. I will be upgrading this year to whatever X Max launch, but only if it’s the same price as the 256GB 2018 version. If it’s more I’ll just buy last year’s model. Don’t get me wrong, I love my X and it’s still fast as the day I got it 14 months ago, but I want a bigger screen.

3. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

I just can’t see apple increasing prices on the 2019 iPhones not after the past few months.

4. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

I’m guessing the 2019 model phones will come in at a very close price point to the 2018 phones. I don’t think Apple will reduce the price nor do I think there will be a meaningful increment given the recent hoopla over pricing.

5. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

LMAO!!!!!

Most Premium
    Premium
    Less Premium

You sound like the dimwits at my work - Hot, Really Hot, Gotta have it now Hot.

Why not just call it "Varying Levels of Premium"? :D

6. B4U, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019

B4U macrumors 68000

B4U

One worded posts will be removed. Hence the additional explanations.
    Clearly mentioned in the "Things Not to Do" portion of the forum rules.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2019 ---
    You are a data point having just as much weight as me being another data point.

7. iZac, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019

iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

Is this the final nail in the coffin for my SE sized dreams?

It's actually one of my favourite ergonomic iPhone designs. soft on the back - curved where you hold it, but sharp on the front where you want the screen to go to the edges. It reminds me a lot of the G4 iMac screen. If only they sold it with a matte finish.

Everyone just railed on it because of the choice of material finish, poor thing.

8. StaceyMJ86 macrumors 65816

StaceyMJ86

I don’t mind paying last year’s prices since I’m on a 2 year upgrade cycle now. Anything higher and I’ll be buying last year’s model.

9. bluecoast macrumors 6502a

I wonder if this March, Apple will announce the return of the X starting at $849 or $849 and keep it through September 2019 at a lower price point.

Getting rid of the X in 2018 seems more like greed (and the first time since 2014 that Apple has removed a model from the previous year from sale).

I wonder also if the XR will see a price cut to start at $699. Failing a redesign of the device this year (which isn’t going to happen) it is obviously just too expensive vs features for most people to consider upgrading.

Agree with you that at the top end (Xs and max replacements), the prices will stay as they are

10. alextu, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019

alextu macrumors newbie

more cameras not going to help sell more iphones

three things apple can do that may help sell more iphones:

1. the most obvious is lower the price, but even lowering the price is
    not a guaranteed that people will buy. people with iphone 6s, iphone 7,
    Iphone 8, iphone xr, xs, xs max may just stick with their phones since
    its still running well.

2. innovate, add more compelling features that will lead people to want to
    buy. but apple is not doing so well in this department, features such as
    the notch, face id are not compelling enough. its not just apple, a lot
    of other phone makers have run out of ideas also. maybe a foldable phone?

3. the iphone 5s came out in 2013 and still gets ios 12 in 2018. that's five years later!
    one way to increase sales is to stop supporting older hardware for such a long time.
    instead of giving ios update for 5 years, maybe just cut it down to 3 years. but this strategy
    to sell more iphones can backfire because providing timely ios update is the main selling point
    of buying iphone. if apple stop providing ios update for such a long time than they will be just
    like the other android phones. this strategy may cause a lot of apple fans to switch to android phones

I don't think apple will do number 2 and number 3. their best chance is to try number 1.
    but they may see an increase in sales when 5G gets here and people need to update their phones to get 5G

11. Fred H macrumors newbie

Fred H

--- Post Merged, Jan 17, 2019 at 1:26 PM ---
    I had to replace my 6+ last year with the 8+. Not a significant upgrade.