WSJ Says Apple Approved Production of AirPower Earlier This Year as Previously Rumored

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 20, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The Wall Street Journal today reports that Apple approved production of its long-awaited wireless charging mat AirPower earlier this year after facing challenges with developing the accessory. This supports previous supply chain rumors.

[​IMG]

From the report:
    Last month, reputable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said the AirPower will launch in the first half of 2019 alongside new AirPods, which were announced today, but a specific release date is unclear. Kuo also expects a new iPod touch with a faster processor in the first half of this year, but there has been no sign of one so far this week.

Apple has announced new iPads on Monday, new iMacs on Tuesday, and new AirPods on Wednesday of this week, so it is possible the AirPower could follow on Thursday or Friday, but no reliable rumors have indicated that will be the case.

Apple initially said the AirPower would be released in 2018, but the year came and went without a release, and the company hasn't said a word about the mat in many months. Apple removed the last remaining reference to the AirPower on its website, a photo of the mat, from its AirPods page earlier today.

Apple is holding a media event on March 25 at Steve Jobs Theater, where it is widely expected to unveil news and streaming video services, but this week's product announcements suggest the event might not see much if any hardware on stage.

AirPower is designed to charge multiple Apple devices at once, including the iPhone 8 and newer, Apple Watch Series 3 and newer, and AirPods when they are placed in the new optional wireless charging case introduced today.

Article Link: WSJ Says Apple Approved Production of AirPower Earlier This Year as Previously Rumored

2. AngerDanger, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

Yep, they've definitely changed the design around. As predicted earlier, I anticipate this to be the final design:

AirPower2 2.png

3. FreshBoy macrumors regular

Cool, day one purchase barring a stupidly high price!

4. Classie macrumors regular

Well... I think it’s the real deal then.

I really “need” this product; I always have 2-3charges hanging from the wall. Can’t wait to tidy up :)

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

6. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

BUT THEY REMOVED THE PICTURE!!!

AirPower is happening. Mark it.

7. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Hopefully it's still alive and they just changed the design. I wonder if they will release new iPods tomorrow and AirPower on Friday. Some people say it's bad PR to release on a Friday, but perhaps they want to semi-bury the release of this much delayed product to deflect talk of Apple being unable to innovate as well as to mitigate launch sales as perhaps they have trouble with manufacturing yield.

8. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

9. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

It's interesting how many products Apple has released this week ahead of the event... does this mean they'll have a shorter, better focused presentation next week, or are they going to still have a crazy two hour presentation where they mostly talk about minor stuff (IE, 20 minutes of talking about their stores and how they're at the intersection of making money and screwing people over?)

10. fumi2014 macrumors regular

You'll be looking at close to $200, I reckon. It's Apple and you know what that means.

11. Pbrutto macrumors 6502a

Pbrutto

149.99, Which is still too high...but way more reasonable than 199.99

12. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

I'm wondering if we'll see the AirPower on Thursday and new iPod touch on Friday (and that'll get buried)

13. G5isAlive macrumors 6502a

14. decypher44 macrumors 6502

decypher44

Again, how would you charge your watch with a sport loop?

15. agsystems macrumors 6502a

Nothing shocks me anymore - if Apple is charging $80 for an empty wireless Airpod case - this thing could go for $249-299

16. eroslws macrumors 6502

I’m worried too tbh. Looking at Belkin that sells comparable, but less featured multi-device wireless chargers around $150, there’s no way this will be less than $199. $249 is realistic.

17. alexandr macrumors 6502

alexandr

this can charge a lot more than just your devices)

18. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Yeah. I doubt they give two craps about the iPod at this point. It's weird how things can change so drastically. Still good for kids I suppose, even though I see a lot of elementary school kids running around with hand-me-down iPhones anymore. It's crazy. I remember being criticized when buying the original iPhone for making such a frivolous, expensive purchase. It was $499 and that was for the highest capacity and I was in my early 20s, lol.

19. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

You used to be able to read WSJ articles by Googline "name of headline full article", but this trick seems to no longer work. Any other way to get past the greedy paywall?

20. nexusrule macrumors 6502

You remove the Watch from the band?

21. fokmik macrumors 68040

22. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

Tomorrow's launch I guess. Would have been nice to just order these things all at once rather than something else each morning.

23. wigby macrumors 68000

What kind of paywall isn't greedy? A free one?

24. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

I wish they still cared, that would be a kick ass little device if they actually tried ― and yeah kids just get their mum's/father's old iPhone

I mean I'm sure it did seem that way back then, there's a new device that costs a hell of a lot as was really unproven, I imagine you looked like a big fool lol

25. Infinite Vortex macrumors regular

Infinite Vortex

If there is a price point that would make it a difficult purchase for many, there's only so much one can charge for just a charging mat, then the day of release isn't going to change much.