Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

WSJ Says Apple Approved Production of AirPower Earlier This Year as Previously Rumored

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Wall Street Journal today reports that Apple approved production of its long-awaited wireless charging mat AirPower earlier this year after facing challenges with developing the accessory. This supports previous supply chain rumors.

From the report:
The company earlier this year approved production of a wireless-charging pad called AirPower, according to people familiar with the matter. It had announced the product in late 2017.

AirPower, which would allow users to charge the new AirPods and an iPhone simultaneously, has been delayed by product-development challenges, the people said. Apple typically announces new products within months of beginning production.
Last month, reputable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said the AirPower will launch in the first half of 2019 alongside new AirPods, which were announced today, but a specific release date is unclear. Kuo also expects a new iPod touch with a faster processor in the first half of this year, but there has been no sign of one so far this week.

Apple has announced new iPads on Monday, new iMacs on Tuesday, and new AirPods on Wednesday of this week, so it is possible the AirPower could follow on Thursday or Friday, but no reliable rumors have indicated that will be the case.

Apple initially said the AirPower would be released in 2018, but the year came and went without a release, and the company hasn't said a word about the mat in many months. Apple removed the last remaining reference to the AirPower on its website, a photo of the mat, from its AirPods page earlier today.

.@trippmickle with some AirPower details https://t.co/Epx0rQNAE4 pic.twitter.com/2qQFcUnjOO - Joanna Stern (@JoannaStern) March 20, 2019

Apple is holding a media event on March 25 at Steve Jobs Theater, where it is widely expected to unveil news and streaming video services, but this week's product announcements suggest the event might not see much if any hardware on stage.

AirPower is designed to charge multiple Apple devices at once, including the iPhone 8 and newer, Apple Watch Series 3 and newer, and AirPods when they are placed in the new optional wireless charging case introduced today.

Article Link: WSJ Says Apple Approved Production of AirPower Earlier This Year as Previously Rumored

AngerDanger

macrumors 601
Dec 9, 2008
Apple initially said the AirPower would be released in 2018, but the year came and went without a release, and the company hasn't said a word about the mat in many months. Apple removed the last remaining reference to the AirPower on its website, a photo of the mat, from its AirPods page earlier today.
Yep, they've definitely changed the design around. As predicted earlier, I anticipate this to be the final design:

AirPower2 2.png

Last edited:
Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Hopefully it's still alive and they just changed the design. I wonder if they will release new iPods tomorrow and AirPower on Friday. Some people say it's bad PR to release on a Friday, but perhaps they want to semi-bury the release of this much delayed product to deflect talk of Apple being unable to innovate as well as to mitigate launch sales as perhaps they have trouble with manufacturing yield.

Reactions: SoN1NjA
Comment

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
It's interesting how many products Apple has released this week ahead of the event... does this mean they'll have a shorter, better focused presentation next week, or are they going to still have a crazy two hour presentation where they mostly talk about minor stuff (IE, 20 minutes of talking about their stores and how they're at the intersection of making money and screwing people over?)

Comment

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
the pool
Hopefully it's still alive and they just changed the design. I wonder if they will release new iPods tomorrow and AirPower on Friday. Some people say it's bad PR to release on a Friday, but perhaps they want to semi-bury the release of this much delayed product to deflect talk of Apple being unable to innovate as well as to mitigate launch sales as perhaps they have trouble with manufacturing yield.
I'm wondering if we'll see the AirPower on Thursday and new iPod touch on Friday (and that'll get buried)

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I'm wondering if we'll see the AirPower on Thursday and new iPod touch on Friday (and that'll get buried)
Yeah. I doubt they give two craps about the iPod at this point. It's weird how things can change so drastically. Still good for kids I suppose, even though I see a lot of elementary school kids running around with hand-me-down iPhones anymore. It's crazy. I remember being criticized when buying the original iPhone for making such a frivolous, expensive purchase. It was $499 and that was for the highest capacity and I was in my early 20s, lol.

Comment

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio

The Wall Street Journal today reports that Apple approved production of its long-awaited wireless charging mat AirPower earlier this year after facing challenges with developing the accessory. This supports previous supply chain rumors.

From the report:Last month, reputable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said the AirPower will launch in the first half of 2019 alongside new AirPods, which were announced today, but a specific release date is unclear. Kuo also expects a new iPod touch with a faster processor in the first half of this year, but there has been no sign of one so far this week.

Apple has announced new iPads on Monday, new iMacs on Tuesday, and new AirPods on Wednesday of this week, so it is possible the AirPower could follow on Thursday or Friday, but no reliable rumors have indicated that will be the case.

Apple is holding a media event on March 25 at Steve Jobs Theater, where it is widely expected to unveil news and streaming video services, but this week's product announcements suggest the event might not see much if any hardware on stage.

AirPower is designed to charge multiple Apple devices at once, including the iPhone 8 and newer, Apple Watch Series 3 and newer, and AirPods when they are placed in the new optional wireless charging case introduced today.

Article Link: WSJ Says Apple Approved Production of AirPower Earlier This Year as Previously Rumored

You used to be able to read WSJ articles by Googline "name of headline full article", but this trick seems to no longer work. Any other way to get past the greedy paywall?

Comment

wigby

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2007
You used to be able to read WSJ articles by Googline "name of headline full article", but this trick seems to no longer work. Any other way to get past the greedy paywall?
What kind of paywall isn't greedy? A free one?

Comment

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
the pool
Yeah. I doubt they give two craps about the iPod at this point. It's weird how things can change so drastically. Still good for kids I suppose, even though I see a lot of elementary school kids running around with hand-me-down iPhones anymore. It's crazy. I remember being criticized when buying the original iPhone for making such a frivolous, expensive purchase. It was $499 and that was for the highest capacity and I was in my early 20s, lol.
I wish they still cared, that would be a kick ass little device if they actually tried ― and yeah kids just get their mum's/father's old iPhone

I mean I'm sure it did seem that way back then, there's a new device that costs a hell of a lot as was really unproven, I imagine you looked like a big fool lol

Reactions: macduke
Comment

Infinite Vortex

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2015
Some people say it's bad PR to release on a Friday

If there is a price point that would make it a difficult purchase for many, there's only so much one can charge for just a charging mat, then the day of release isn't going to change much.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.