Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
So is it coming out or not

I’d bet either way depending on the odds offered.

I think it’s likely AirPower charging is coming. But for 10:1 odds I’d take a chance and bet against.
[doublepost=1553137199][/doublepost]
Why do they insist on calling inductive charging wireless??? Can't they see that the mat has a cable that has to connect to the electric grid? Then the device has to make contact with the wired pad to charge! The day that we have over the air charging, that can be called wireless charging!

Yeah! :)
[doublepost=1553137321][/doublepost]
OT but related.
This statement got me thinking, is QI charging working in a vacuum, as in space, if it does the name shouldn't be Airpower.

Yeah! :). Vacuum power it should be called.

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
Apple coming in nine years late. The Qi standard was set in 2010 for inductive charging. I don't get Apple, they are so cutting edge on some things, and so late to adopt on others. Wireless charging... once you have it, you'll never plug in again. This charging mat has been alluding them for years. It must be amazing.

$99 is my bet.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Apple coming in nine years late. The Qi standard was set in 2010 for inductive charging. I don't get Apple, they are so cutting edge on some things, and so late to adopt on others. Wireless charging... once you have it, you'll never plug in again. This charging mat has been alluding them for years. It must be amazing.

$99 is my bet.

It is indeed puzzling a little bit, but then I always remind myself that they have a different view of the situation. There could be relevant information that we don’t know about.

As for price, yeah I think $99 is the magic price too

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
This rumor makes zero sense. I don't believe it. If Apple was going to release AirPower soon they would have done it at the same time they released the New AirPods. They sure as hell aren't going to announce it at the news and streaming video services event on March 25. If it's still alive it must be very substantially delayed which is why Apple released the new AirPods without it. Or it could just be dead.

Reactions: BuddyTronic

mva68

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2016
I really hope they will implement QI compatibility now in a new firmware for the Apple Watch 3 and up. So I can charge the AW 3 with standard QI wireless chargers. Perhaps Apple doesn't want to support the AW 3, 4 for QI charging, and that's why it is taking so long?

enc0re

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
It is indeed puzzling a little bit, but then I always remind myself that they have a different view of the situation. There could be relevant information that we don’t know about.

As for price, yeah I think $99 is the magic price too

I've been looking forward to AirPower too. $99 seems too cheap though. I would say $149 - $199 is the realistic price range for this product. It's basically a mat with many Qi coils that hand off which one is used to charge different positions, orientations, and products. Charging mats with just one coil can easily cost $50 already.

Reactions: wanderlust19283

DMinTX

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
One thing I don’t care for is using this has the Apple Watch flat, which makes you lose the nightstand feature.

I like keeping my Apple Watch sitting on it’s side on my nightstand, where a tap will wake it up to show the time, in nice, big digits I can read without my glasses.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Why do they insist on calling inductive charging wireless??? Can't they see that the mat has a cable that has to connect to the electric grid? Then the device has to make contact with the wired pad to charge! The day that we have over the air charging, that can be called wireless charging!
1) You don’t think the power transmitter for near distance charging would need “a cable that has to connect to the electric grid?

2)There’s no requirement that the device make contact with the charging mat:

http://www.qiwireless.com/apple-patents-floating-wireless-charging/

The only relevant difference between current wireless charging tech and so called “distance charging” is the size of the air gap. Qi is limited to something like an inch or two iirc, whereas it should be possible to extend that safely to maybe a foot (at power levels sufficient for reasonably fast phone charging). If your power requirements are in the nano/pico/femtowatt range, longer distance power transmission could be an option.

Physics limits the amount of power that can be transferred wirelessly. An inverse square law is not your friend. Don’t fall for distance charging claims from a scam company that makes untruthful, unverifiable and/or fraudulent statements. You could find yourself on the wrong end of a stock swindle.

Last edited:

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
no reason for this thing to be super expensive, oh who am I kidding it will be, it will be very expensive.

Except placing anywhere to charge IS a big deal. Most of the current ones have to be just right. Plus 3 devices at once with one cable.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Except placing anywhere to charge IS a big deal. Most of the current ones have to be just right. Plus 3 devices at once with one cable.
Having it charge 3 devices is a bigger deal than where you place it...is it really a big deal if you don’t place it perfectly?

I know the Samsung wireless duo can charge two devices or one phone and the Samsung watch and if you don’t play it right the light won’t show it’s charging anyway...so you know when it’s charging and when it’s not and it turns green when both are fully charged.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
This is the most accurate thing i’ve heard on here for a long time hahahah

My comment was meant to be an exaggerated prediction. In hindsight, it wasn't. They really talked for two hours about how badly they want to screw everyone from content creators to consumers, put their fingers in everyone's pie, and collect a lot of money while doing next to nothing to earn it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.