WSJ says "iPhone 5 Risks Same Old Same Old"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Reach9, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

In this article by WSJ which is apparently posted tomorrow (it's still the 2nd here). Although the article doesn't state much, it still says that
    WSJ has reported previously that the next iPhone will be thinner and lighter, and has not completely shot down the idea of a redesign, but also states that it would be difficult for Apple to redesign the device. They previously also said that the iPhone 4 design "fell out of favor" by the Apple execs.

My issue is, if the iPhone 4S is supposed to be exactly like the iPhone 4, then it won't be thinner and lighter like WSJ suggests. Apple is known to send controlled leaks to WSJ, for example the lack of a hardware upgrade in WWDC this year.

The hype for the next generation iPhone is immense, there's no denying that. So will Apple meet the hype, or fail to impress?

Just something to discuss within 1 Day 17 Hours and 10 Minutes.

2. JMC08 macrumors regular

There is an iPhone 5. Believe who you want to believe.

3. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I can't read it because online journals are greedy little shits and ad revenue isn't enough for them....

4. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

That's really the iPhone 6, apple always test a prototype for a year. So
    In reality were are getting a year old design.

5. cheesesteak22 macrumors member

Interesting... I know that WSJ is a source for controlled leaks from apple, but I doubt if every story that they publish about the iPhone is for that reason. With the release on Tuesday and tomorrow being the highest point of anticipation, it makes sense that every major news outlet writes some story to capitalize. They may just be referencing the information they revealed in previous posts, but who knows. Here's to hoping....

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

7. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Doesn't sound like the WSJ knows anything. Of course Apple is working on a newer, thinner design. Probably several. Whether or not it will appear on Tuesday, though...

8. TheSacredSoul macrumors 6502a

There sure will be... We just don't know when.

But I am one of the people who believe that will be an iPhone 5 tomorrow.

9. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Aw damn, can't read the entire article because of the subscriber thing. Do you know what the whole article states?

It's actually weird, because the article lists the place of publication as San Francisco, but it's definitely not Oct 3 here in California.

This is what most reliable news sources are coming down to. They were told of a redesign by someone inside Apple, which is why they published those "rumors" or as they call it, "reports." But now, many rumor sites like MR and 9to5Mac are saying no 5, only 4S.

That has left them in doubt also. But that's a good thing. Because that means they haven't heard from Apple since. Which is extremely good news, since a) Apple wants this confusion going into its event, and b) this means that Apple hasn't shot down the iPhone 5 rumors.

Viva la iPhone 5!

10. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

why keep making the phone thinner? The iphone 4 is the perfect thickness, just cram as much of the newer thinner innards as you can!

11. EddyP macrumors 6502

Here's the full article:

12. mholtz2323 macrumors member

Can someone post this article...

Edit: Thanks!

13. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

The iPhone 4 doesn't have the perfect thickness yet...it needs a better ergonomic design, which is the upcoming iPhone 5

14. mholtz2323 macrumors member

I'm not that concerned about making it that much thinner, that's not the point.
    It needs to increase the screen size IMO, and that could allow for more space if they make the phone longer and wider. 4inch screen is the sweet spot. Keep the same thickness, I don't really care.
    I'm shooting for an iPad 2-like design with a 4inch screen.

15. cheesesteak22 macrumors member

It's the "perfect thickness" until one of the new Android phones come out with a thinner and sleeker profile. Then everyone will complain that it is an outdated design.

That said, apple top two priorities in design are to make products that are aesthetically pleasing but more importantly, that WORK. They wouldn't sacrifice function in a new iPhone just to fit it into a thinner housing, that's not their way.

Hopefully they figured out how to do that and will show us what they've been keeping secret for the last 15 months...

16. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

I actually prefer it to have more battery material instead of less in order to achieve a thinner profile.

17. Nachoconqueso macrumors regular

What's interesting is how size eventually won't drive the competition between phones. They'll eventually make a phone that fits all the components, has no bezel, and is as thin as the screen can be. Where do you go from there? You can't keep making the phone smaller since clearly people aren't wanting a screen that's anything less then 3.5" so is software going to be the thing that matters down the road?

Apple probably has a good long term strategy to evolve their phones in that they come up with software ideas and let hardware be formed around that. It kinda keeps their stride longer then googles in an innovation sense, and google obviously takes more shorter steps. It is pretty easy to add a bit of width and length on a screen and call that innovation, but it's probably good for everyone in the end.

18. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

You can get past most paywalls by simply copy and pasting the article headline in Google. It worked for me in this article.

I think the headline says it all. Despite what some MR members refute, the iPhone design is getting old (and yes, I'm aware of current iP4 and 3GS sales). It's time for a larger screen. A product redesign. Nothing drastic, but at the very least bump that screen up to 4".

I don't expect this to happen next Tuesday but I hope it will. I'll go Android in fall of 2012 if Apple has the stones to simply give us the same form factor yet again next year.

19. griffinmeyer macrumors member

Then that settles it. The iPhone 5 is real.

20. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Remember the matte back that people thought that the 3GS was going to get? Then it ended up still looking the exact same as the 3G with the exception of chrome letters.

Then people STILL lined up three nights before to get it. People don't care if its the same iPhone, people care if its an iPhone :)

21. griffinmeyer, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

griffinmeyer macrumors member

WJS Suggests iPhone 5?

Well, the time has finally come. Wall Street Journal has suggested the existence iPhone 5 (link to the article: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203791904576606891661918466.html). This next-gen iPhone can't be the 4S, because in the beta strings for iTunes 10.5, the avatar for the 4S had the same form factor as the 4. Ladies and Gentlemen, this pretty much settles it. Both the iPhone 5 and 4S will more than likely be unveiled together on Tuesday.

Sorry. I know that there are a few posts like this one, but I felt it was important enough to make my own post.

22. troop231 macrumors 603

Couldn't have posted this in one of the other threads?

23. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Who said that Stodgy Old Walt didn't love Steve?

24. griffinmeyer macrumors member

And have it be lost in the sea of comments? No way.

25. admanimal macrumors 68040

I don't think you know what "confirmed" means.