WSJ thinks that the iPhone 5...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Reach9, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Reach9, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011

Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

According to this post from Cult of Mac: http://www.cultofmac.com/wall-street-suspicious-of-delayed-iphone-5-rumors/89571

The WSJ thinks that there will be an iPhone 5 announced in WWDC. Due to last year's Gizmodo issue, Apple might just be keeping a tight lip on the iPhone 5, to maximize their iPhone 4 sales.
    Since sales of iPhone 3GS dropped when the iPhone 4 'prototype' leak was out.

There was another report that Apple has switched production from Japan to Taiwan, so i don't believe we'll be missing out on the iPhone 5 this year. I also think that the iPhone 5 won't be pushed into Fall.

Your thoughts?

2. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Thought? We all get too caught up in rumor and speculation. It'll happen when Apple is ready.

3. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

All sounds good to me!! Here's hoping for a iPhone 5 keynote from Steve at WWDC!!!!!!!!!! :)

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Makes sense.
    They dont want sales to drop so they let out a fake rumor that the next iphone will be out in the fall or next year etc...
    They cant afford to sit back for over a year selling the same product while Androids, WP7 and even Pre keep coming out with new phones every month.

5. Bentroxell macrumors member

Makes perfect sense. An iPhone 5 will happen this year.

6. jonter19 macrumors member

This makes perfect sense. Apple wants to maximize profits on the 4 before putting out the 5. Why not let some rumors swirl about a delayed iPhone or, better yet, no 5 at all in 2011.

Personally, I don't see Apple going over a year without releasing an updated version of their most popular device. Even though I don't believe any other phone can compete with the iPhone, there is still a plethora of new phones vying for consumers' attention.

Plus, almost every bit of news WSJ posted about the Verizon iPhone at the end of 2010 came true. They're a very reliable source.

7. Merkie macrumors 68020

I really doubt that. Do you really think sales will drop if Apple would've said "please come join us to see the future of iPhone" instead "please come join us to see the future of iOS"? Us Apple geeks might might hold off of buying an iPhone, but not 99.99% of the world population who don't read MR.

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

It all makes perfect sense because that's what you want to hear ;)

9. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

That's a fact :)

10. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

I'm sick of these rumors, but I truthfully can't imagine them delaying the next iPhone past this summer.

11. Reach9 thread starter macrumors 68020

Reach9

Think about this, in the last WWDCs did Apple ever say "come check out the new iPhone" in their invitations? You'd be surprised how far marketing and advertising goes.

that's true ;)

12. scelzifan macrumors 6502

I believe it, mostly because of Verizon sales. Sure people are still buying the 4 with at&t but not at the rate that Verizon is selling them at so by them not announcing the new phone yet it will still let Verizon sell them at a very good rate before dropping them bomb on all the people that just bought the 4 that the 5 will be out in a few months! Then we will see people throw a s@@t fit!!

13. LoganT macrumors 68020

There's never really been a debate if Apple was going to sell a new iPhone in 2011. The debate is if they are going to sell in June or wait to the Fall.

14. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

My iPhone 4 serves me very well, I can wait for iPhone 5 until Apple is ready ... then I'll be first in line :)

15. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

It'd be funny if the updated Verizon iphone doesn't come out until the same release time next year.:D

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I wouldnt be surprised.
    For years before always the GSM phones came out first and then months later they released the CDMA versions of the same model.
    And for them to release a CDMA iphone and then 5 months later a new iphone version doesnt seem right but you never know.

17. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

That's what I was thinking. Do you think the CDMA and GSM iPhone's will always be on different release schedules?

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

19. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

There is so much rumor going around that you could "make perfect sense" on any statement!:p

20. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Most of the 'rumors' of the iPhone 5 being delayed were basically due to the WWDC poster not mentioning the iPhone, and people extrapolating from there. But either did last years. It will be announced then.

21. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I think we'll see an iPhone 5 in June. And all the people who are saying we won't we just be like, "Oops, looks like we were wrong to mindlessly repeat empty rumors as truth. Won't do it again til next week..."

22. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

23. infidel69 macrumors regular

The title of this thread is......................................................................

24. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

This is the most sensible "rumor" I've heard about the iPhone 5 in a long time. People act as if Apple is going to do what they want to do, completely oblivious to the rumor mill.... which is foolish thinking, in my opinion. ESPECIALLY after last year.

25. jealousguy86 macrumors 6502

of course they'll announce it at WWDC. that's how it goes, year after year.

i read somethin earlier today saying apple is taking the hit of the costs to make sure they get their component parts from japan, since they are hurting on production of pieces after the earthquake tragedy. pretty cool.

unlike the ipad/tablet market that apple has a tight grip on, the smart phone market is a lot tougher, with androids, wp7, rim and others getting a piece of the pie. can't wait to get an iphone in june.