WTF! Gah, Macbook Pro Frustration continues...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by makasin, Feb 17, 2008.

1. makasin macrumors member

Ok guys so at the beginning of last college school year's summer, (I go to UCSan Diego, quarter system) I bought a brand spankin new 2.4ghz MBP with the 256MB 8600gt.
    Shortly after I got it, I began experiencing a bunch of problems. First, the thing completely stopped booting and I had to take it to the "Retards" at the Retard Bar, sorry I can't blame them, it just seemed appropriate. Anyways, they replaced the whole logic board, and everything seemed gravy for a few weeks. Then I began experiencing the same thing again. Kernel Panics at boot time. When I tried to reinstall OSX, I got KPs. It didnt matter which DVD I used. The Apple store guys ended up replacing the memory and that appeared to cure my problems. Everything was going great for about 4 or 5 months. However, now it started falling apart on me again. The DVD burner appears to not be working. Whenever I try to burn anything, (in Toast or an image in Disk Util or music in iTunes) I get a "Meduim Error" or something else. So that thing's completely ****ed. Also, when ive been running on battery power lately, the computer would just completely shut off on me without any shutdown process or anything, out of the blue and I usually have at leat 60% remaining on my battery.
    So something else is horribly wrong. Its really weird though, I dont abuse my computer or anything. I treat it with the most utmost care and I'm the ONLY mac user I know who has had any problems with his MBP. Its been completely unreliable and without a doubt the worst computer I have ever had in terms of actually being dependable. I have to constantly worry what the hell is gonna break next, and I shouldnt have to.
    I feel like I got a Lemon, and I want a NEW computer. I cant just go to the Apple store every couple of weeks so that they can work on my computer for a week. That's not fair. Does anyone know what I can do to maybe get it replaced or something? I really love my MBP when it works and I love Apple's product, but I cant be too happy with it considering how much of a pain in the ass this thing is. I've never experienced anything this terrible in terms of failures. Pretty much every damn part on the computer feels like its gonna fail any minute. Has anybody had this sort of problem or any advice as to what I should do?

BTW, I have applecare if that matters.
    Sorry for the essay, 420 is bad :)

2. bplein macrumors 6502

bplein

It's really bad that you keep having problems.

Keep taking it back under warranty until they get it right.

My MBP has been flawless. My daugher has a Macbook, and it worked GREAT for just over a year. She had the keypad replaced due to discoloration (under warranty, apparently the very first models would discolor easily) and a few months later the logic board failed, so it went in again. A week after we got it back the new logic board failed again!

Anyhow, that was back in November, and the second logic board repair was done overnight priority at the local Apple Store instead of taking a week. My experience is that if a particular component needs to be replaced a second time, the guys at the store will treat you right, and expedite it.

You have every right to complain, but use your energy to complain to them and have them fix it right. You paid a lot of money for your Mac, you deserve to get it fixed right.

3. makasin thread starter macrumors member

Well, i think this thing is past fixing.
    I need a new one, this is a lemon and under lemon law and deserve a new or refurbished working MBP.
    Its not fair that I have to take it to get fixed every month when each part of it breaks. I cant even use it on battery power nor can i burn any cd/dvd. Can you imagine how frustrating that is?
    This is after replacing the whole logic board and memory and hard drive (but they put my old one back coz it wasnt the problem)

4. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

5. makasin thread starter macrumors member

what did you write in the email?
    should i include the SN of my MBP?

6. modesty macrumors member

yea sjobs@apple.com just mail him with your story sent me a free macbook air when my ipod mini died last week

7. makasin thread starter macrumors member

so I emailed Steve Jobs and the next day got a phone call from my local Apple Store telling me that they got the email I sent to the address, and gave me the option to either replace the optical drive or to get a replacement notebook.
    Now, I am wondering, is the replacement notebook gonna be the new Penryn machine or will it be the older Santa Rosa?

8. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

Either one is fine, if they offer you a replacement, never hesitate.

9. makasin thread starter macrumors member

well i took the replacement for sure.
    im not gonna send this POS to the repair shop every month when something breaks down, I'm pretty sick of it.

But I'm wondering. Do they give you whatever model you originally had or is it going to be the current model?

10. paenguin macrumors member

paenguin

MBA for an ipod mini? whoa! :eek:

you must have some story there..

11. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I just (two weeks ago) had my mid 2006 2.16GHz MBP replaced with a SR 2.4 MBP. It would have been a Penryn one but they didn't have any in stock.

12. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

did he send you the entire macbook air? or just the solid state drive inside?:D
    they're pretty much the same you know!

13. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

FREE MACBOOK air? for reals? if so f'in sweet.

cheers

14. makasin thread starter macrumors member

did you guys get any reply from that email address?
    For me, when I sent the email, I simply got a phone call yesterday (I left my number in the email) from my local Apple Store but didn't receive any sort of reply or anything about the email. Apparently the Apple Store guys got the email though.
    Is that how your guys' thing worked?
    I set up an appointment on friday to go to the store and get a replacement MBP. Hopefully itll be a Penryn!!! (crosses fingers). Do you know whats gonna happen to my AppleCare? I'm assuming they want me to give them my old box in exchange for the new one (as they wouldnt want me to just sell the old one and keep the new one obviously) but I wonder if the AppleCare will be transferred over as well.

Also, how easy is it to move your data (itunes music, apps, config files, documents) to a new computer?
    Ive got a time machine backup. Is that all I need?

I understand that the new Penryn has a custom built OSX build on it so just doing a full restore wouldnt be an option. How should I go about doing this?
    Is there an option to just restore music, documents and settings without copying over the whole OS/Volume?
    thanks for the advice guys. Im really excited for this new computer, I really hope it will solve the problems I've been having with my Mac, and my faith in Apple will be restored. yay!:D

15. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

When you start up the "getting started" wizard after you power up your new mac, it will give you an option to transfer your accounts, programs, files and settings from a time machine backup.

It is also possible to restore your entire machine from a time machine backup using the menu when you boot up with a Leopard dvd. Time Machine is pretty slick :)

16. makasin thread starter macrumors member

yeah but wont that screw up the new notebook since its a special build?

does the time machine migration assistant thing allow me to select exactly what I want to retreive from the time machine backup?

17. lauph macrumors regular

Hmm interesting... So are you getting the Penryn 2.4GHz MBP or the Penryn 2.5GHz MBP as replacement?

Replacement of the similar MODEL versus Replacement of the same VALUE.

18. comptr macrumors 65816

here i got a replacement last week this is how this works ok
    1. they will take your old computer
    2. they will want the power adaptor and the box along with the computer.
    3. Next they will mail it out to apple.
    4. Once apple receives the old laptop they will see what specs you have on your current machine and give you a comparable one.
    5. It will be a Penryn
    6. It will take 2 to 3 weeks
    7.It will be like buying a new computer.

here is the specs from my old mac book pro:
    2.33 MacBook Pro
    2 Gigs of ram
    160 Gig 5400 Rpm
    super drive
    15 inch glossy
    ati X1600

Now here are the specs from the replacement :
    2.4 MacBook Pro
    2 Gigs of ram
    200 gig 5400 Rpm
    super drive
    15 inch glossy
    Nvidia 8600m GT 256
    The replacement is a Penryn

Hope this helps :)

19. makasin thread starter macrumors member

why does it take 3 weeks If im going to the apple store to get it replaced right then and there?
    It better not be a 2.4 penryn w/o the 512MB viddy card coz I paid 2500 for the upgraded version of the SR, so I would expect to get the same equivalent model (hopefully).
    What if I dont have the orignal box. Surely they can't expect me to have the original box. I mean, its a piece of cardboard. They can't trip about it too much can they?

They told me to back up all my data and stuff from my current machine so when I get my new one I can get all my original stuff back.

Will my AppleCare transfer? Does the Migration Assistant app allow me to select what I want taken from the time machine backup or does it just take "everything" or "nothing"?

20. makasin thread starter macrumors member

anyone know if the 512MB vid card is much of an improvement over the 256?

21. comptr macrumors 65816

well first the 3 weeks only applies if you bought your computer on apple.com and not a store and did a BTO. Second for apple care they will give you a number and you can transfer it, get a check for the remaining apple care or do the second option and buy new apple care. They will ask for the box but it is fine if you don't have it. just make sure you have the power supply and the disks that came with the laptop. Also keep the remote since the new ones don't come with one. O one more thing you will probably get the 256 not the 512. I tried to get the 512 but they go off of specs first then how much you spent. I spent almost the same amount on my older macbook pro. If you really want the 512 you are going to have to pay $500.00. But when you go to the store ask the geniuses what the replacement will be.

22. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

really?

i just sent him an email about my problem with the esata connection express card. it like does not work at all. numerous fixes and such and nothing.

23. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

what was wrong with it, and the original box? like the cardboard and styrofoam one?

24. comptr macrumors 65816

Well it was in the shop over 6 times and 2 times in december and 2 times in january. The screen had dust inside of the screen and they replaced it once and again it came back. Also the battery, power adaptor, and airport card had gone bad. Plus the top case had to be replaced twice. So the genius had went to the back and talked to the manager and got the approval for the replacement. Yes they actually wanted the box the one with the carboard and strofoam one because they mail back the old laptop in that box back to apple.

25. makasin thread starter macrumors member

hmmm that sucks.
    well hopefully in my case since theyve screwed me around so much that they would give me a deal. Anyone know of the performance difference between a 2.4 SR w/ 256MB VRAM versus a Penryn with the same specs?
    It's not a huge deal, but I DO play games and would appreciate it greatly.

Will they trip if I have a sticker on the lid? im gonna try to remove it, and put my stock ram back in since i got 4gb.