Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 222

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The number of nicknames that seem handpicked is quite astonishing. I, for example, run an academic web site.

The cognitive psychologist in me thinks that we'd find meaning in nearly any nickname that was assigned, so they're probably random.
I'd love to know who chose the pseudonyms for everyone. I don't know that anyone would agree with mine.
Presumably there was some kind of app used to give each username a random prefix? Pretty cool stuff. :D
What makes it sad is I hate chocolate and do not eat it. So it really goes against anything about me.
A team of psychologists analyzed every post by all 100,000 forum members, to determine their unique personality traits and particular strengths and weaknesses. Some people, like Professor wordmunger, have noticed that it was handled in a completely professional and scientifically rigorous manager. Others may think their attributes are being misconstrued, when in fact they simply don't know as much about themselves as MacRumors does. For example, Chocoholic Rodimus Prime probably likes chocolate but, not having eaten any recently, doesn't realize it. Luckily, those who think they haven't been appropriately titled can console themselves by assuming that assignments were random. ;)

I like my name too, will they change them back after today? I kinda hope not!
Mine scares me!
My name sucks :(
To avoid frightening Not really twistedlegato for longer than necessary, and to avoid burdening the Internet with the extra bytes being transferred with each forum display page, name changes have been made only temporarily. Sensible Suture may remain sensible, but won't be Sensible.

Here's an interesting thing, in the forums like this my name appears as insider frohike and yet on the forum choices where there is the 'last member to post' bar my name appears as "Honest Frohike" anyone else got this anomaly? And in the big menu thing with all the categorieds its "Hi ho Frohike"!
There's a pattern, which to my knowledge has not yet been identified by forum members.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Yup, I logon at 12:00am and nocited that our names have changed. Must took the Mod's a long time to do that trick

No, it wouldn't take that long. They didn't actually modify our usernames; it's probably just an addition to the function that retrieves our usernames. It prepends a random word or phrase from a list. You'll find your username appears different in different parts of the forum.

At any rate, we're discussing it here.

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
"About zephead"... ehh I don't get it. My name is a bunch of different things in my thread subscription list when it shows me as the last poster, but on threads it's still "About zephead".

apple1984

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2006
usa
I love the nicknames. I am most definitely fearless. That's why I was second-choice to play Braveheart, even though I was all of four years old at the time. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.