WTF @ this response from the apple store...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Antidoll, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Antidoll macrumors regular

so I went to the Apple store this morning to tell them that my Macbook Pro's (a week old) keyboard backlight is uneven on certain buttons & I might need an exchange and he tells me that as long as i have the receipt and its within 14 days I can exchange it..

Alright fine.. so I go like "well I bought it online so I don't have a receipt from the store" and he goes like "oh if you bought it online you have it to ship it back to where you got it from" I'm like so I have to return it to China? He's like oh I don't know call Apple support and ask...

I'm gonna call them tomorrow and ask but wtf? does this make sense? Did anybody experience this before & can help me?

2. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

explain more dude... did you buy it in china???

3. djhyro, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011

djhyro macrumors member

you should be able to return items you purchased on store.apple.com in retail stores...

the store rep probably thought you bought it from a 3rd party (bestbuy, amazon, mac mall, etc.) in which case you would have to return it to 3rd party...did you make it clear that you bought it from the apple online store?

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No, ask for Genius Bar support. They should swap it out in-store.

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Online purchases have to be returned through the online store.

If you go visit an Apple Store, not an authorized reseller but an Apple branded store, they will often help you and exchange a device - though they may in fact not accept a return.

Return instructions are on the online store website.

6. Antidoll thread starter macrumors regular

I don't want to return though I just want to exchange it... & yes I bought it from the Apple online store..

7. Zerosopher macrumors regular

Zerosopher

Quick question

If I buy a macbook from Australian Apple Store, can I send it to fix at any a Apple Store in this world?

I'm new in this thing. :) Thanks

8. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Yes you can. The warranty is internationally :) You will also get the best service at the official Apple Store.

OP should go to other nearby Apple Store. They always have the best services, which Apple Store did you go to?

9. Zerosopher macrumors regular

Zerosopher

I have a plan to buy a macbook pro soon. It will be my first mac. Not that in hurry. I am waiting for the next refresh.

After reading this thread I am thinking whether to buy from the online or the store. My country has no any apple store (-poor) but many representatives. Anyway I could buy one from the online.. Just thinking

thanks for your answer ..

10. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I'd suggest you get it from the Apple Online Store, they also have the best customer services. If anything goes wrong within 14 days, they would send you a new one for sure. You just need to contact them, so don't worry. the official Apple Store Online is a great option as well. :)

I'm waiting as well. Hopefully Apple will release next well ;)

11. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I would say make a genius bar appointment and have them look at it. They'd be more likely to just switch it out or whatever to ensure you're happy.

12. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

I had a HDD fail a month after I bought my MBP and I purchased it at Best Buy. The genius bar gave me a whole new computer with no issues. You should be able to exchange your computer no problem.

13. scarred macrumors 6502a

If you buy it online, you can get service for it at any apple genius bar.

If you want to return it, you have to return it the same way you bought it, i.e. in your case, online.

If you are a dbag to employees (which you were with your stupid china comment), they are going to give you the minimum required treatment that allow them to still keep their jobs. It isn't unheard of for Apple stores to exchange online purchases, but it is by exception and they are just being nice. So if you suck, they won't do it.

14. Antidoll thread starter macrumors regular

lol I wasn't being a dbag to employees. asking if I have to return it to China (where the laptop was shipped from) was a valid question since he told me I'd have to ship it back to where I got it from.

& just to argue your point for the SAKE of argument, Apple have or at least should have minimum standards protocol that they would apply to all their customers. I just paid almost $3000 for this Macbook, it doesn't matter how I act with him.

15. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

if you didn't realize, all CTOs are shipped from China..so his question was valid..

(mines still in shanghai waiting to ship..)

16. iaymnu macrumors 6502

They should also drop balloons and ring a bell to let everyone know you are a big spender. Pretending you’re human and showing some kindness goes a long way. :p

17. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

Uneven backlight? Are you serious? You want a replacement for that?

18. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

If you bought it online from the Apple Store just print off your invoice and take it back in. No store (Apple or not) would do an exchange without proof of purchase, especially on such a high value item. Put yourself in their shoes and surely this makes sense?

19. Antidoll thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know if you noticed the context of why I wrote that or not, but it had nothing to do with me showing kindness. I was and I'm always polite to any employee I deal with. I work in Customer Service so I definitely understand that being nice to someone goes a long way. I was simply arguing that even if I acted like a dbag, any Apple employee should do their job correctly regardless.

----------

Printing the invoice wouldn't be a problem, but the guy said I'd have to have an 'in-store' receipt... this is why I'm asking for help about this here. lol

----------

are you saying that me wanting a replacement because cosmetically the laptop is not perfect is not worth it? If few of the keyboard buttons were white on your laptop instead of Black & you just got your laptop, would you suck it up or go get an exchange?

20. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Your main problem is that you told them you might want an exchange. That's not really what you want...you want a warranty repair/replacement. An exchange is when you change your mind about what you ordered while you're still within the 14-day return period. If you have a problem with your computer, you make a Genius Bar appointment and talk to them about it. Bring the computer with you so they can look at it. Just talking to one of the sales reps in the store, mentioning an exchange, etc. is completely the wrong way to go about it.

That said, they may not do anything for your "uneven backlighting." The backlighting is never perfectly even. And by the way, just because you spent $3000 doesn't mean you get better treatment than anyone else. It doesn't sound like he was rude to you. The employee was correct in telling you that if you want an exchange you'll have to contact Apple customer service and arrange to send it back to them. And your comment about sending it back to China was off base. You bought the computer from the Apple online store, which is where you would ship it back to. If you need to return something to Amazon, do you look to see which state it shipped from and send it back there? No, you contact customer service and do what they tell you to do. Your comment came off as being snarky and rude.

21. scarred macrumors 6502a

Stop being silly you guys. You don't ship it back to China. You goto the Online store and note that you want to return the product. Who cares where it goes after that.

22. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

This ^^^ print the invoice and go back ... issue resolved. :apple:

23. Antidoll thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the most useful response... I probably shouldn't have said I might need to exchange it & he was probably a sale rep... hmmm

& you might think the comment came off that way but it definitely did not sound like that IRL, I wasn't in least bit rude about it. thanks :)

24. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

With that attitude, any customer service rep will (and rightfully so) give you poor service.

25. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

err.. as this is my first time buying a cto, i am rather uneducated regarding this matter. I don't think the op asked for any of this mockery and flaming, either. It's uncalled for, cuz the rep simply said, ship it back to where you got it, which, for the op's case, was China. He ordered it online and got it from China.

It's pretty much just a confusion that needs a good, solid clarification. No need for anything beyond that imo.