[WW] Something ancient awoke - **SIGN UPS Open**

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jav6454, Nov 13, 2018.

1. jav6454, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018

jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Good evening (or day) to several potential villagers! Long ago, our forefathers hunted werewolves in ye olde country. Today marks the founding of a new village up in northern Alberta where rich deposits of ore, timber, furs and coal can be found.

Will ye adventure into the wilds and join our expedition as it sets up camp?

Good Guys:
    • Villagers: Common folk that can only talk in the day and vote on pressing matters. They are looking for an adventure or a better life; what could go wrong?
    • Guard: A common folk that stems from a long line of experienced huntsmen. He can protect one villager (except himself) per night from attacks and/or infections. Due to his expertise, the Guard can survive 1 attempt of murder (from villagers or wild attacks) or infection. He is also a powerful marksman and can kill one villager in the entire expedition should that person turn rowdy. No one knows who the Guard is.
    • Warlock/Witch: Can look into the soul of one different villager for 4 times total (can be nonconsecutive). No one knows who the Warlock/Witch is. Once during the expedition, they can bring back someone from the dead, doing so will reveal themselves to the village.
    Bad Guys:
    • Alpha Wolf: Can attempt to infect one villager; wolf-kin leader.
    • Kamikaze Wolf: Upon death, can attempt to take out a villager; loyal to Alpha.

Rules:
    • Villagers can't PM each other. Only wolf-kin can
    • Villagers loose if wolves to villagers ratio reaches 1:1
    • Villagers win when all wolves are killed
    • Only the wolves know each other.
    • Villagers must vote once a Day to kill one of their own in hopes of finding a wolf. Majority vote triggers the kill. A real life 48 hour counter is in place and if no majority lock is reached, the villager with highest vote count is killed.
    • Each night, wolves attempt to kill one villager via PM to me (Game Master). A real life 24 hour counter is in place, and if no PM is received from either wolf, then that night's kill is forfeit.
    • We need at least 14 people to start the game. If we have less, we can start without the Seer, Guard and Wolf abilities.
    • All roles are assigned by random.org
    To sign up please bold in the word "IN" to confirm you wish to play.
    Sign-Up Sheet:
    1. Plutonius
    2. Scepticalscribe
    3. Mobilehaathi
    4. Apple fanboy
    5. -aggie-
    6. rick snagwell
    7. twietee
    8. curmudgeonette

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If next week weren't a holiday where I would be away from a computer for a while, I would be very interested. But it might take that long to get enough people to sign up!

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ah, a WW game! Wonderful, - we haven't had one of those in an absolute age.

Yes, as I expect to be around for the next while, I'll happily sign up and thank you @jav6454 for organising this.

So, as of now, I'm in.

4. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I'll play.

Someone has to keep an eye on @Scepticalscribe. She can be sneaky when she's a WW :).

5. Scepticalscribe, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Or murdered by an infected partner as happened twice when I played with @jav6454......

6. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

I vehemently gainsay such risible utterance. Foul I cry!

7. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I remember those games. @jav6454 did a great job playing a WW.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

A brilliant job.

To be murdered once (by a infected partner) was a misfortune, to be murdered twice, perhaps carelessness....

As a consequence, I am deliriously happy to see @jav6454 as GamesMaster.

9. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

It seems not many of the old players are around anymore. Hopefully new members join.

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I will happily join, however I won’t be regularly available until after the next week passes. You may provisionally mark me in, as long we we don’t begin until ~Nov 24. Considering how slowly the list is filling, this may not be a problem.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

When organising WW games, I have noticed that almost everything takes a lot longer than anticipated in the WW world.

However, some of the regulars have either "gone fishing" as the euphemism has it, or appear to have vanished entirely - meaning that they no longer seem to have any kind of an online presence and neither post nor participate in any way and haven't done so for years.

12. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

I used to see these threads come up all the time. Can someone tell me more about it? Is it like Dungeons and Dragons, or call of the cathulu we used to play as kids?

13. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Me as well.
    I see the threads come and go… but have no idea what or how it is played.
    :)

14. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

I like you even more now :D

I mean, D&D, sure, that's a nerd standard, but C of C, that's a touch fringe, I still have my rulebooks :D

15. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

The game is played via witty banter with a splattering of blood.

The wolves’ goal is to kill everyone, and the villagers’ goal is to kill the wolves. The wolves know who each other are, since they are allowed to communicate with each other in private; the villagers are ignorant. Every “day” we discuss who among us to kill, on suspicion of being a wolf, and every “night” the wolves decide privately who to slaughter. Repeat as necessary!

16. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

Basically what mobilehaathi stated below:

Please note, that there is also a degree of cunning in these games. You have to be able to properly deceive and handle yourself if you are a wolf. Also, a degree of insight is needed for a successful wolf hunt. I have witnessed games that Villagers are easily able to hunt their hunters quickly. However, also games where wolves have horrendously driven the villagers into a slaughter house.

The fun here is trying to make sense of the wolves with what little information is had. Trust me, these games are fun and heart pumping as one mistake or good move can mean the difference in a win or loss. Also, maneuvering yourself as one of the game "special" characters is tedious as one mistake can mean your quick death or quite possibly be the one calling the shots.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 15, 2018 ---
    It will indeed, not many from the original games remain. Hence, enticing new players might be difficult but not impossible.

17. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

I was about 12 which was a lifetime ago!
    --- Post Merged, Nov 15, 2018 ---
    I’ll give it a go. Stick me down.

18. curmudgeonette macrumors 6502

There's a good write-up on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_(party_game)

I'll stop being grouchy about my ignominious condition of always being on the losing side and throw my hat into the ring.

19. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Thanks! I am now intrigued by these shenanigans.

20. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

If you join I promise not to advocate for your death until at least the second round. ;)

21. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

Thanks for all the interest shown and welcome to potential new players. If you wish to join please confirm so with the word In with bold. That way I'll know for sure and include you in the game sign up sheet.

So far I have potentially joining:

- Apple fanboy

22. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Hahaha!

I'll be the proverbial lamb amongst the wolves. ;)

23. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

He was even better as an infected WW......

24. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Correct. I’m in.

25. curmudgeonette macrumors 6502

The Guard's survival will of course reveal the role, to the wolves if their nightly attack fails, or to everyone if the village vote fails.

Does doing so reveal the Guard's identity, or does a shot ring out mysteriously and one villager falls dead?

Strategy can twist you into knots: Of course the wolves wouldn't vote for each other - right? So maybe the wolves actually should accuse each other to appear innocent? But everyone knows this misdirection might be in play, so maybe the wolves shouldn't do this? But everyone knows that too...

The public thread will have a small number of messages. However, any players allowed to communicate (only the wolves in this game) may be burning up the wires with Private Messages planning strategy. "Specials" will also be periodically PM'ing the GM.

"Majority lock" creates an interesting twist - vote misdirection may backfire when enough other players pile onto a vote. Alternately, the wolves can coordinate their vote (or vote change) to push a hapless victim over the 50% mark.

Oh right, In!

From my strategy planning records, the Feb 2016 players were:

@Don't panic
    @Dsching
    @Moyank24
    @mrkramer
    @mscriv
    @Scepticalscribe
    @philbeeney
    @Plutonius
    @Queen of Spades
    @ravenvii
    @rick snagwell
    @Sythas
    @twietee
    @Tomorrow
    @WoodNUFC
    myself

Sep 2016 added:

@Comeagain?
    @Intell
    @Koodauw

Feb 2017 added:

@mobilehaathi
    @shyam09

Perhaps the GM should PM those who haven't responded yet in this thread?