Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iOS 13 will enable developers to integrate Siri into their apps for several new use cases, including media playback, search, voice calling, event ticketing, message attachments, flights, train trips, and airport gate and seat information, according to 9to5Mac's Guilherme Rambo.

siri-lost-keys-800x450.jpg

In a report today, Rambo detailed several other developer-focused features that he expects Apple to announce at WWDC in June, including the ability for iOS apps ported to the Mac to use Mac-specific features such as the Touch Bar and keyboard shortcuts along with support for multiple windows.

Rambo says enabling Mac support for an existing iOS app is "as easy as checking a checkbox" in Xcode, akin to adding iPad support to an iPhone app.

Apple's augmented reality platform ARKit is said to gain "significant improvements" this year, including a brand new Swift-only framework for augmented reality and a companion app that lets developers create augmented reality experiences visually. ARKit is also said to gain the ability to detect human poses.

Developers are also expected to gain access to a handful of new frameworks that allow for expanded use of the Taptic Engine, document scanning in third-party apps, and the ability to capture photos from external devices such as cameras and SD cards without having to go through Apple's Photos app.

Last, on the Mac, apps will supposedly be able to offer file provider extensions, improving the integration of apps like Dropbox with Finder.

Article Link: WWDC 2019: Siri Expected to Become More Useful With Third-Party Apps on iOS 13 and More

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Rambo says enabling Mac support for an existing iOS app is "as easy as checking a checkbox" in Xcode, akin to adding iPad support to an iPhone app.
This is not good. iOS and macOS apps are two completely different beasts. Checking a box isn't going to make for a good user experience. This is basically what Apple did with apps like News and HomeKit and they are terrible.

including the ability for iOS apps ported to the Mac to use Mac-specific features such as the Touch Bar
Everybody: We don't care about Touch Bar
Apple: Let's double down on Touch Bar

Apple is driving me a bit crazy lately.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This is not good. iOS and macOS apps are two completely different beasts. Checking a box isn't going to make for a good user experience. This is basically what Apple did with apps like News and HomeKit and they are terrible.

Everybody: We don't care about Touch Bar
Apple: Let's double down on Touch Bar

Apple is driving me a bit crazy lately.
And menu bar....you forgot that. Isn’t that what many of the complaints were about marzipan apps on the Mac, that they didn’t support menu bar?

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Opening up Siri to third party developers is both a boon and a curse. A boon because it will make Siri much more useful and possibly even "better/smarter".

It's a curse because we already know that a handful of 3rd party devs will exploit Siri to compromise YOUR security and access YOUR personal privacy/information (much like Alexa/Facebook/Google/Amazon are already compromising the privacy/security of their userbase). In fact, several App Store devs have already done this with their apps (before Apple caught them) …. and it happened even before Siri was opened up.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
Shortcuts really helped Siri a lot, but all the heavy lifting in setting it up lies on the user.
I don’t see how Shortcuts is related to Siri at all other than asking her to run the commands

Apple says Shortcuts relies on Siri, but do they have to? Probably not

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
I feel like we hear Siri is going to become better every year...and then it doesn't.
Apple has actually has made a lot of improvements to Siri. It's easily as useful for everyday tasks as any smart assistant. Easily.

What are you specifically struggling with that she doesn't do well? And be honest...don't say you asked her the meaning of life and weren't satisfied with the answer.

jpk3

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2019
Apple has actually has made a lot of improvements to Siri. It's easily as useful for everyday tasks as any smart assistant. Easily.

What are you specifically struggling with that she doesn't do well? And be honest...don't say you asked her the meaning of life and weren't satisfied with the answer.

how about accurately recognizing when a command i am giving pertains to a contact in my phone?

how about asking what reminder i am trying to set before going in and changing a random one??

i’m talking basic fundamentals that google assistant has been able to accurately do for years now.

Attachments

• CC135663-AF87-4536-9B73-D030C1E94096.png
    CC135663-AF87-4536-9B73-D030C1E94096.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 6,661

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014

Let's see - here's a few:

- call a number in my contacts instead of searching the web. 'Call American Airlines Reservations' works about half the time, the other half I get a web search.

- Find the closest store instead of one a thousand miles away

- Play playlists reliably. 'Play College Hits' works about 2/3 the time, the rest I get 'can't find playlist College hits'

And that's the theme - it's unreliable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Create Task in OmniFocus works 1/2 the time, the rest errors out (even though it recognized OmniFocus). Sometimes it'll correctly transcribe words, and others it won't. 'Mute' never, ever, is transcribed properly. Training doesn't work.

Both voice recognition and task execution are inconsistent at best.

Edit: Oooo, the one about changing existing reminders is HUGE - same thing with timers and alarms. Damn thing changes times on those instead of creating new ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.