WWDC expectations - will Apple wow us?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    What kind of expectations do you have for the upcoming WWDC? By that I don't mean predictions of What apple will unveil, but are you expecting it to amaze or underwhelm?

A LOT of tablet software has been released/unveiled since apple showed us the iPad a year ago. Honeycomb, webOS, QNX, and now Windows 8. I'm not starting an argument about who's OS is best, but iOS is looking very simple and lacking in functionality compared to many of the others.

At this point I feel this is a make or break for apple going forward. With this iOS 5, lion, and iCloud combo I think this will define the Apple ecosystem for a few years to come.

On a scale from 1 to 10 how much do you think apple will bring it? 1 being fail miserably, 10 being amazing behind belief, and 5 being very mediocre

2. kalex macrumors 65816

3. henchman macrumors 6502a

4. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

iCloud is all I really want. Unless they totally eff the service, I am sure I am going to be ecstatic with what they announce.

I have too many devices and need my stuff on all of them. I am demanding. ;)

Usually I want whatever Apple just announced at these kind of keynotes. :p

5. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I'm sure they will.

It just doesn't take new hardware items to wow people!

Looking forward to next Monday.

6. Nishi100, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011

Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

iOS 5
    Mac OS X Lion
    iCloud

5 - iOS 5 - Slight update, widgets, new notifications, which I'm happy about, and, how iOS integrates with iCloud; but no complete overhaul or a new UI. I have a feeling widgets will only be on the lock screen - not on the home screen (so the home screen is still a grid of apps). I, also, think that they'll keep the iPad's home screen the same, and have widgets on the lockscreen - not 'mixed' with the app icons.
    5 - OS X Lion - We already know what's happening in this department; they might make all the GUI changes universal with all of the default apps.
    Could be a 10; could be a 5 - iCloud - This will be good; as long as it's not just for iTunes purchases, and for apps, music and videos.

7. nickbarbs macrumors regular

+1 for Magical

Honestly if they don't introduce a central file system/mountable storage i will flip out

8. MXSkier62 macrumors regular

I am just curious about the "one more thing..." at the event.

We know iOS 5 will (hopefully) be a good upgrade, with a new notification and widget system. And I think that it will be both on the lock screen and in the actual UI. And I think this will port to smaller icons on the iPad since there really isn't any reason to waste all of that screen real estate with the current spacing.

Lion will be good, I guess. And iCloud hopefully will be like a better version of Dropbox.

I just want to know what the "one more thing" is going to be. With Steve up there, it could be anything really. Maybe the launch of a back to school special that is absolutely absurd (like, buy a Mac, get 1/2 off an iPad or something crazy).

9. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

i think iOS 5 is gonna have some great new features.

so on a Jobs scale somewhere between 'amazing' and 'magical'

10. REM314 macrumors 6502

REM314

Apple will totally falter to everyones expectations. Its what happens at every keynote. There'll be a huge thread on why iOS 5 doesn't bring what we need (which Im sure it wont) which will diverge into an argument over why its good. People will be disappointed by iCloud im sure and from current releases Im already disappointed over Lion.

Fun monday for sure.

11. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

I think that the one last thing will be:

- OS X Lion is £_ _
    - iOS 5 is £_ (cheaper than Lion)
    - iCloud is £0 (free)*

*terms and conditions apply. You have to own a Mac worth over £3000, and three iOS devices, which, when multiplied by 14 and divided by 5 is £3000; if you don't fulfill the terms, then you have to pay £555 per ... year.

12. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I predict everybody will have a cloud service, including Apple.
    I predict Apple will be the only company brave enough to charge for it up front. Steve knows it's hard to make something seem worth money when it has been given away for free before.
    I predict Cloud services will be the scandal of 2012. Companies will try to block you from getting to your personal cloud account at work. Security reasons. Someone will notice the cloud server companies are watching what you do with yours, and selling that info for huge profit. You'll be surprised to see ads more and more selling you only what you really want.

And iOS for the iPad will look alot different than it does on the iPhone or Touch. Exactly the same way Android IceCream Sandwich detects DPI and adapts the UI for the size of screen.

13. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

iOS 5 won't cost a cent for iPhone users.
    i'd suspect Lion to be around 59$ / € for one license

as there's only 2 different screen sizes within the iOS Ecosystem (ignoring AppleTV) and the UI is already taylored towards each of them specifically, i have to disagree.

iOS on iPad already does look alot different than on the iPhone / iPod Touch

14. SA22C macrumors regular

Get ready to flip, 'cause that's never going to happen.

15. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

Here's what is really going to happen at WWDC, and you can count on it:

General Press: Wow!

PC Press: Eh.

Average Consumer: Huh?

MacRumors Posters: FAIL! I'm switching to Android!

16. Mad Mac Maniac, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2011

Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

I really hope I'm wrong, but I just have a very bland feeling about this WWDC... part of me REALLY wants to be excited about possibly revolutionary stuff... but then the other part feels like I'm really going to be underwhelmed.

Apple could really do so many great things with this iOS 5, Lion, iCloud combo.. and historically I have put a lot of faith in Apple prior to these events. Hopefully I'll be expecting little, and then receive a lot. That will brighten my Monday.

But here is why I'm thinking I may be underwhelmed...

Lion- We already know what is going to be in Lion. Sure Apple could release some new stuff that they haven't given to developers yet... but I'm not really expecting them too. Probably just some iCloud integration.

iOS 5- I feel like their BIG thing will be voice integration. I really don't care about that. Aside from that, Apple is boxed into a corner with their outdated OS. Being first to the party has it's disadvantages. iOS is very good at what it does, but I feel it lacks functionality and expandability. I don't expect Apple to change any of its fundamental elements, so most new features will probably just feel like afterthoughts.

iCloud- I really don't know what to expect from this. Could be SO big... but I also care zilch about music and video streaming (especially if it's iTunes purchase only). if the file storage system is integrated into the OS's so you don't even need to think about it, great. But I'm afraid Apple will just create a boxed off "iCloud" app with no added capability than dropbox. What's the point in that?

Again, I hope I'm wrong. But I'm expecting WWDC to be around a 6. I hope I can keep those low expectations so I can be pleasantly surprised (hopefully!) come monday :)

Haha. That sounds like a pretty accurate prediction (especially the MR poster).

After these events the average consumer is usually "oooooooooo pretty!" but I guess for a software only event your's may prove true.

17. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

that's actually kinda sad, as software updates provide extra functionality at zero extra cost (or some minimal amount like 9,99 for iPod touch users), compared to a new hardware generation.

i, for my part, will be happy about whatever iOS 5 will bring.

18. thatisme macrumors 6502

thatisme

iOS 5 will re-map the orientation lock switch back to a mute switch.

19. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

I am gonna be dissapointed since nothing short of iphone 5 announcement will make my day.

Still, very excited that something i*event is happening next week.

20. hcho3 macrumors 68030

If they don't show me an iphone with revamped notification and Map application, I will be disappointed. Turn by turn direction is important.

21. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Notifications. Yes. Turn by turn... Shouldn't be a high priority. With 10 other turn by turn apps on the app store just go snag one

22. 482214 macrumors 6502

23. iDemiurge macrumors 6502

iDemiurge

Better file management, that is, a Finder-like app that can be mounted through USB.

24. Carouser macrumors 65816

My iPad already manages files excellently. I don't even have to do anything!

25. iDemiurge macrumors 6502

iDemiurge

I don't mean to kidnap the thread here with my bitching on how much it sucks to transfer files through iTunes. I'm just saying that this is one of my top expectations, since we'll be seeing the announcement of a new full-point iteration of iOS.