WWDC is going to disappoint everyone

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Super Intendo, May 31, 2008.

1. Super Intendo macrumors regular

Reading all these threads, I've come to the conclusion that WWDC will disappoint just about everyone. Heres the categories I've devised that just about everyone here fits in to.

- The people who want new Mac Pro's. (and why wouldn't they... the case has been arround since the G5 in 2003)

- The people who want new MacBook Pro's (a long over-due re-design, and lots of potential to update the specs) [personally i think that the two pro's are the most likely to update at WWDC because 99% of developers use pro machines, but theres the argument that they will wait till fall or even the beginning of 09]

- The people who want a new Mac Mini / Headless Mac. (as much as this is needed, i just cant see it happening.)

- Arguably everyone wants the 3g iPhone, but nobody can seem to figure out what it is that they want from it. I can't tell you how many times i've read 'if it looks like that i wont buy it' or 'i dont want it to be thicker for GPS' or '3g better not decrease the battery life'.

- There are also the people who want new cinema displays, the current ones are fine, but theres no reason for apple to not throw in an isight or add some black glass arround the edge or something.

- Theres also the ever reoccurring rumor of alum. MacBooks and thats seeming less and less likely for now.

- Don't forget the ever illusive Mac Tablet!

the point I'm getting at is- just about every product could use updating, but theres simply no way that will happen, and I just know that a 10 days from now the forum is going to be flooded with a bunch of bitchy people because they didnt get what they wanted. I'm sure i'll be one of them, but that doesnt change my main point which is Apple needs to learn when its time to cut products, evolve products and expand products because right now their not doing the greatest job.

When ever somebody brings these things up, somebody always says 'be happy with what they give you' or 'the current design is just fine' or 'they dont need to change anything' but the point is, theres obviously a demand for all these things i've listed above and as the saying goes 'the customer is always right' so apple needs to really kick it up and start focusing on its Mac line because right now their just slowly falling behind.

/rant :rolleyes:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've been disappointed since WWDC 2006. It isn't anything new. Why get my hopes up? :rolleyes:

3. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I concur. In my opinion the last half a dozen Apple events have been an anti-climax. Partly Apple's fault (chatting about a bl**dy phone for 75 minutes then saying it'll be available in six months time), but more down to the hype and unrealistic expectations that are generated in the months preceding an event... the post event whining is fun to watch ;)

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Dunno. I think this year might actually be different.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

1) Are idiots, as there are no processors to which to upgrade. The cheese grater is timeless.

2) Are rightly exasperated.

3) Are somewhat idiots. iSights would rock, as would HDCP, but without a BluperDrive option announced for the Mac Pro, there won't be ACD updates until the Mac Pro has a new case.

4) Are me. An 8.5x11 MacTablet would be a perfect compliment to my future Nehalem Mac Pro/Montevina MacBook Pro combo.

6. kevinbal macrumors regular

kevinbal

Eh, I think we'll see mostly software announcements at the beginning - iPhone SDK, new .Mac, mention of 10.6.

Hardware, 3G iPhone is the obvious one. We'll see what the educational promo brings on Tuesday, if its "the biggest yet", I think we could see 8 GB touches rolling out the door to clear stock for the increase to 16, 32 and then 64.

Other hardware is up for grabs - cinema displays with built-in isight is always a possibility... I doubt we'll see new macbook / pros. I doubt we'll see a new mini at WWDC, that'll be saved for Paris. We obviously won't see iMacs. Larger HDs in the Apple TV could be possible (160/320). We could see slight spec-bumps in the Air.

Who knows, its all about the iPhone and mobile platform, thats for sure.

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I'll be happy with a new iTunes...while other stuff may interest me, this is the thing I want most from Apple. I think it will likely come at a September event, but what with the AppStore and new iPhone stuff (GPS mapping data stuff), maybe iTunes 8 will come at WWDC.

If the iPhone is really really really great (more than just 3G and GPS location finding), I'll consider buying one once they go second hand. The latest Android demos show what I feel to be the first real competition to the iPhone, and while a lot is copied, some new things are really cool (drag down menu for example), and Apple will have to work hard to keep up.

I have a friend poised to buy a MBP, and it would be nice for him to get a re-designed one.

The displays (although I have no intention of buying one for the moment) really need a smaller bezel. People complain that they need more ports, but really, having two next to each other gives a massive gap in the middle.

I'd like to see a preview of 10.6, and don't think its that unlikely. Leopard only took so long because of the Intel transition, and the focus on the iPhone. However, if its going to include multi-touch, this may take just as long. Fortunately, developers are already getting to grips with Cocoa touch, and Apple seem to know what they're doing in the touch UI department.

8. Super Intendo thread starter macrumors regular

I think this year will be different in that they will announce something cool and interesting, maybe even 2 or 3 things, but i think the majority of people will be disappointed because they cant announce everything, and everyone is expecting that the thing they want is the thing that will be announced.

Personally i'm expecting new macbook pro's, and if god (or steve) decides to love me... then it'll come in a 13.3", but i know that won't happen.

They wont announce 10 new products, it just wont happen, and i know theres going to be a million topics in a little over a week saying:
    "wtf no new MBPs??!#"
    "Where is the Mini?~!"
    "Why are the Macbooks still plastic?!"
    "I've been waiting for a tablet for years"

etc.

9. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I am going to second those thoughts Tallest Skil.

Anyone wanting a redesigned Mac Pro is quite an air head that doesn't use it for it's intended purpose.

The Mac Book Pro may be in that boat since the design limits cooling and hardware options IMHO, but the Mac Pro is a design that gave us back our 4 HDDs and two optical drives that went away when the G5 came along, there is nothing limiting about the Mac Pro case.

And I concur with Eidorian, I have been :(:(:( since WWDC 06 and MWSF with that bomb shell of an iPhone release.

We (the smart ones) have to remember that most people are greedy so they want their product to be announced, especially since the world would be in chaos if the Mac Mini doesn't get a Penryn chip in it :rolleyes:.

And you forgot that lovely thread entitled:

"I've been waiting since May 08, where the f*** is my new Mac Book Pro?!?!?!11"

And:

"I am a PRO and I need a new (place computer name here) to do my (place BS job title here).

10. danuff macrumors member

danuff

WWDC Keynote

What people seem to be forgetting is that this is the WORLD WIDE DEVELOPER'S CONFERENCE, and not MacWorld. While it is true that Apple has announced some changes or additions to products in the past, non of the announcements were as earth shattering as the ones at a MacWorld keynote.

People should NOT be looking for:

- New Hardware announcements (new Macs, iPods, etc).
    - A major announcement on the .Mac service.

People should look for:

- iPhone 2 announcement.
    - Information on the SDK, app store, and related items.

My two cents,
    -Dan Uff

11. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

People are bound to be disappointed. So the secret is to have low expectations.

I think everyone knows we will have:
    [1] A new iPhone
    [2] New iPhone Software

Beyond that it is up in the air. Super Intendo makes an excellent point that before these events every product that Apple might be working on are all rumoured to be arriving, whether that be new MacBooks, new Cinema Displays, a new Mouse, a new Pro Tower, revamped low end Mac, Mac OS 10.6, multi touch, resolution independence, Quicktime 8, iTunes 8, updated Mac etc. etc.

What actually happens is we get some of the rumours and then one surprise, which only makes sense when thinking about it later.

Last year we got Safari on Windows at WWDC and a redesigned Apple.com.
    At MacWorld we got Time Capsule.

I look forward to the surprises.

For example: Apple may not be ready to talk about the new online services just yet, but may instead surprise us all with a new pro application.

12. Super Intendo thread starter macrumors regular

I just so happen to be both of those people :eek: hahaha

13. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

i dont understand these redesign calls. if people are looking for cute designs they're the ones who dont really need mac pros. at the end of the day, why change something that works and works really well at that.

14. James17 macrumors 6502

I hope they release an aluminium macbook. No spec changes-just aluminium, it's the only mac without it and I don't think it's too much to ask.

15. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

The ones calling for it on the Mac Pro are just lost.

The ones calling for it on the Mac Book Pro are two fold. The ones that want it to be cute and cuddly and like the Mac Book Air just for the sake of having a good looking (by their standards) computer.

The others are wanting it because the case creaks a bit, isn't built as strong as the Air, is limited in hardware and cooling options, and falls apart in certain areas (the dark grey line around the top case falls off :mad: for example).

16. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I want a MBP redesign because the current one is getting dated, and the air is built far better than it.

Also, first mac, would be nice to have one that stands out a little ;)

17. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

WOW ... That's great news ... now I can't wait ;)

18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Dated as opposed to... what? The n-faceted plastic cases with glowy bits that are so prevalent in the PC world?

Why do you think that nigh on every advertisement involving a laptop computer has a PowerBook G4 or a MacBook Pro in it? The hardcore industrial design.

19. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

After the announce of Multi-Touch in Windows 7, Apple will definitely say about how they are including it. They wouldn't want Windows 7 to get Multi-touch before OS X. Of course, that's partially why Microsoft did it; to feel like they got there first, even though the iPhone is technically running OS X.

But I'm sure Apple won't require every app to need Cocoa Touch? I thought it was only needed for advanced multi-touch gestures? Surely there would be code in the OS that allowed you to use your finger like a mouse, rather than requiring all developers to know Cocoa Touch?

Anyway, I would like to see that but only with a solution for "old" Mac owners to get multi-touch fitted on their Mac's displays (or Apple Cinema Display - although the user can get a replacement multi-touch screen if they really wanted, I guess) for a reasonable price... as not offering that would make any 2009/2010 Mac redundant from the new operating system which will pretty much make using the apps on that OS impossible for someone without Multitouch. Plus if Apple didn't, GreenPeace and other environment agencies would literally SLAM them for the number of computers being chucked out because of the introduction to multi-touch, as obviously hundreds of people would be getting new computers JUST for the multi-touch, and we all know it.

20. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Wrong. This is going to a big one with a lot of news and surprises.

Buy some apple stock beforehand imo.

21. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Post WWDC Thread starter... :D

I doubt 10.6 will fully integrate MT into the UI. There will still be a need for the keyboard and mouse, and basic LCD/LED displays.

22. Life is Sweet macrumors member

Montevina

Well, there will definitely be no new redesigned MB's or MBP's with the same specs because the newest processors are released on July 14th. There is always the chance that they will get the new proccessors a months and a half early, but thats a bit unlikely. We should probably see redesigns in July/August or next year for nehalem, not now with no change.

Same goes for MP, now new chips available, so what's the points.

isights on cinema displays - there's hope because it will happen eventually, but probbly not right now, but i'd like to be proved wrong.

Headless Mac & mac mini update - again for the headless, there's always hope, but at the moment unlikely (not impossible) until nehalem at the earliest, if at all.

Tablet - would be really cool.

OS 10.6 - Wouldn't think it too unreasonable to see a preview because leopard was previewed a year and a bit before release, and we may see 10.6 released by the end of 2009. Don't quote me on this though, it's just what i hope.

iPhone - Imagine the outcry if this didn't happen. It is a certainty. There's no stock of the old one, they need a new one!!! SDK etc will happen.

.Mac - I don't now maybe rename just because of rumours. Hope it gains more features.

Air - maybe spec update (they aren't using penryn so there is a newer processor available).

I hope everyone gets what they want but you've got to look at intel's chip roadmap before making rash guesses, and try use that to time the future updates, instead of complaining that the updates didn't happen.

Also: shame about intel delaying montevina. Would Have been great to have new MB's and MBP's at WWDC.

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Wrong. This is going to be an iPhone one with a lot of gnus and info about the 3G iPhone and software 2.0

One more thing... Mac Mini's being discontinued.

Sell Apple stock beforehand, in my opinion.

24. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

My guess is that we will see:

- iPhone/iPod Touch SDK

- The new .Mac. (Whatever it is called.)

- New iPhone

- Memory upgrade on the iPod Touch

I don't think we will see any other new hardware introduced. We might see some updates such as more RAM, HD, & increased CPU speed, but I doubt it.

Those waiting for a headless Mac, it's already there. It's called the Mac Mini. Yes, I understand you cannot expand it like a mini tower, but I don't think Apple wants to go into this market.

We might see some mention of new features/roadmap for 10.6, but probably too early for this.

25. Super Intendo thread starter macrumors regular

i wouldnt do that because

A: if it does fall for what ever reason, its not like its going to fall forever, all they have to do is announce a new consumer product and BAM its back up, sometimes higher than before

and B: if the 3G iphone looks any different than the current one and they advertise that it has more features, evey iphone owner will want one and every little high school girl will be begging daddy to get her one and every business man will want one, etc. It will sell. Alot. Sales = stocks.

also: I like how this has turned into a "guess what will be announced at WWDC" thread hahaha oh well.