Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Aspyr has released Company of Heroes Complete: Campaign Edition for purchase on the Mac App Store for $49.99. [Direct Link]
Company of Heroes redefines real time strategy gaming by bringing the sacrifice of heroic soldiers, war-ravaged environments, and dynamic battlefields to life. Beginning with the D-Day Invasion of Normandy, players lead squads of Allied soldiers into battle against the German war machine through some of the most pivotal battles of WWII. Through a rich single player campaign, players experience the cinematic intensity and bravery of ordinary soldiers thrust into extraordinary events.
companyofheroesscreenie.jpg

The game, which includes the single-player campaign plus all additional campaigns and content, has some fairly generous system requirements, allowing users of slightly older machines to play -- though the game was originally released for PC in 2006, so this isn't too much of a stretch. PC games arriving on the Mac in any form is impressive enough, though some publishers -- notably Blizzard -- still release their games on the same day across all platforms.
Minimum System Requirements:

Operating System: 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard), 10.7.2 (Lion)
CPU Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo (Dual-Core)
CPU Speed: 2.4 GHz
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 13 GB
Video Card (ATI): Radeon HD 2600
Video Card (NVidia): Geforce 8600
Video Memory (VRam): 256MB
Company of Heroes Complete: Campaign Edition is available for $49.99 on the Mac App Store [Direct Link], Aspyr's GameAgent Store, Amazon.com, and other digital download stores.

Article Link: WWII Strategy Game 'Company of Heroes' Goes Live on Mac App Store

Vmaatta

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
Lame… still

Aspyr doesn’t deserve this advertising spot. Let’s not kid anyone, that is what this is. They’ve been doing these overpriced ports for years. Seriously 50$ for a port of a game released over 5 years ago :eek:…

mw360

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2010
Aspyr doesn’t deserve this advertising spot. Let’s not kid anyone, that is what this is. They’ve been doing these overpriced ports for years. Seriously 50$ for a port of a game released over 5 years ago :eek:…

I don't see many companies rushing to undercut them. Maybe its just not a profitable platform for big budget development.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
The fact that I've never heard of this even though it was released 5 years ago doesn't speak to the port having been worth making...

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
I wish this was on Steam...I have the Windows version so I should get the Mac version as part of the deal (least that was Steam always does). This game is awesome and it plays fine in Parallels on my MacPro with nVidia 8800GT.

mw360

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2010
The fact that I've never heard of this even though it was released 5 years ago doesn't speak to the port having been worth making...

A 93 on Metacritic for the PC version. Still in the top 10 PC games of all time at Gamerankings. Maybe there's stuff you just don't know about.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
And before anyone comes in slamming the value of the price of the game and saying how ridiculously overpriced drivel this is for being on the Mac App Store, please note that all three games together on Steam is also $50 in total. Of course, the Mac version is only the "Campaign Edition" and you're losing out on multiplayer, but it's still not far off in terms of value compared to it's windows counterpart.

Played these on Windows and can't wait to add these to my Mac collection. Thanks Aspyr :)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
And before anyone comes in slamming the value of the price of the game and saying how ridiculously overpriced drivel this is for being on the Mac App Store, please note that all three games together on Steam is also $50 in total. Of course, the Mac version is only the "Campaign Edition" and you're losing out on multiplayer, but it's still not far off in terms of value compared to it's windows counterpart.

Played these on Windows and can't wait to add these to my Mac collection. Thanks Aspyr :)

So the Windows version only has multiplayer? Doesn't make much sense to leave this out of the Mac version.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Very good game… but I don't feel like paying $50 to run it under OS X. Maybe $20 or $25.

Splinter Cell: Conviction was also released on the Mac App Store today: link

k2director

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2006

No no no, this is quite a good game. It was *the* thing for a while on the PC (as far as real-time strategy games go). I'm looking forward to it...

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
If you don't like the $50...

...and you want to have multipayer, you can actually install Windows on your iMac and play it that way. But if you want the whole 3 games - as posted earlier - you will end up paying about the same price.

If you decide to install Windows 7 (which would be better than the other iterations from MS), you might quickly realize that there are actually games out there worth playing. This might come to a surprise to some of you that in my eyes, the biggest downfall of the Apple OS (and other Unix) is the lack of good games. If they come to the Mac, it is either rare (World of Warcraft) or delayed beyond being a hot shot (like this one).

backinblack875

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2010
USA
would GLADLY pay even 60$!! for all 3, but WTF....CAMPAIGNS ONLY!??!!? no multiplayer or EVEN skirmishes....fail. sadly i will still buy this.

Risasi

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011

AspyrRyan

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2011
Austin, TX
Unfortunately, multiplayer was not possible for the port, and skirmish was integrated pretty closely with the multiplayer component.

Here's the answer from our CoH FAQ:
Why no multiplayer? Will multiplayer be available in the future?

Company of Heroes utilizes a piece of middleware that does not have a viable Mac version available. Because Company of Heroes utilizes dedicated servers and is not simple match-making multiplayer, it requires a full replacement of multiplayer systems in order to enable internet or LAN multiplayer; additionally, we cannot support skirmish mode because of how closely it is tied to multiplayer. Therefore at this time there are no multiplayer options for Company of Heroes, and it’s unlikely we will support multiplayer for Company of Heroes in the future.

The rest of the FAQ can be found here.
If there are any questions not covered by the FAQ, please let me know.

BigMac3

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2012
And We Should Be Grateful Why?

Why is this a good thing? The game is six years old with a six year old outdated AI. They couldn't give it away in a bargain bin. Is this the best they can do for the Mac?:confused:

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Why is this a good thing? The game is six years old with a six year old outdated AI. They couldn't give it away in a bargain bin. Is this the best they can do for the Mac?:confused:

As I had already mentioned before, this title retails for the same price under Windows in Steam.

And it's a good thing beacuse it adds a triple AAA title to the Mac gaming library. How is that not a good thing?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I don't know why it's so expensive on Steam. You can get the CoH Anthology which is the same thing on Amazon for $18.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
$49.99(tax not included) for a remake of the campaign.. The difference? It runs on OSX. No thanks. Try again at $9.99.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.