X-Men First Class- Love It Or Not? (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Jun 6, 2011.

?

Rate X-Men: First Class

1. The Best (Read the comics)

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  2. The Best (Did not read the comics)

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. The Absolute Worst (Read the comics)

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. The Absolute Worst (Did not read the comics)

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. Mediocre At Best (Read the comics)

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. Mediocre At Best (Did not read the comics)

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. Pretty Good (Read the comics)

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  8. Pretty Good (Did not read the comics)

15 vote(s)
    42.9%
  9. Can't decide!

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. Huntn, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Based on the box office I assume this poll will come off positive for X-Men, but the movie did not do anything for me. I recognize that opinions will vary, possibly drastically and no one is right other than by majority opinion. Therefore I know I'll lose, but no matter, my feelings are the correct ones. Kidding to some degree. :p

My knowledge of the original stories colors my views somewhat, but my intent to keep the focus of this discussion on the merits of these movies as good entertainment, not a condemnation of how far they deviate from the original comics. If that was the criteria, I'd have to trash all of them. ;)

After the disappointment of X-Men Last Stand and how they short changed the Dark Phoenix Saga, I was muttering, but I still bought the DVD, which is the ultimate expression of a movie that meets my approval. :) And then the joy of watching the Wolverine Origins movie! Every single character in that movie was alive and full of character. Fantastic, I thought X-Men is back! Then this movie arrives having miscast several characters, who almost all come off flat, and a director who just can't pull off a story that tries to place the X-Men in the middle of the Cuban Missile Crisis. So sad.

Xavier- miscast.
    Mystique- compared to the original portrayal by Rebecca Romijn, this character was SUCH a disappointment and they mentioned something in passing of her being Xavier's sister? (I may not have caught that correctly).
    Hank McCoy (Beast)- as compared to the original portrayal by Kelsey Grammer, no comparison and the young Beast looked like a big fuzzy kitty whose personality was not the Beast I know from the comics.
    Sebastian Shaw- I don't know, Kevin Bacon just did not carry this character.
    Emma Frost- Completely two dimensional.
    Magneto- Of all the characters Magneto was pretty good. :)

How I can go from loving every mutant in 3 X-Men movies (X-Men 1,2, and Wolverine Origins) and loath every character in XMFC except for a 1 min cameo by Wolverine? Every single character in the good movies, light up the screen. In comparison, the 5th movie in the series, is like week old cola. Don't even try to compare these XMFC characters to Sabertooth, Gambit, or Dead Pool. They breathed more life into their characters in 1 min, then the young X-Men could manage in an entire movie. (This is not prejudice against young talent) ;)

Something has to be said for the Director's vision, Brian Singer for the first two and Gavin Hood for the Wolverine movie. In comparison, Matthew Vaughn, director of Kick Ass, dropped the ball so badly, please keep him away from any future X-Men installments! :p

X-Men: First Class

Original X-Men

X-Men2

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

2. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Retcon gone bad. Nothing worst than a poorly done retroactive continuity. They should have at least kept the original students: Scott Summer (Cyclops), Warren Worthington (Angel, now Archangel), Bobby Drake (Iceman), Jean Grey (Marvel Girl) and Henry McCoy (Beast, well 1 outta 5:p).

It would have at least kept old school fans from complaining too hard.

3. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I can understand your criticism, but I thought the dynamic of the relationship between Xavier and Magneto (with a little Mystique thrown in there) was well done as it served as the central part/theme of the movie. The X-Men, especially in the comics, has always been about the theme of discrimination/unity and the different ways we can choose to respond to it. I've heard one commentator draw parrallels between Xavier and Martin Luther King and Magneto and Malcolm X in regards to the racial history of the US.

Sure the surrounding cast were somewhat weak, but in my mind that was the whole point. This story was about two strong willed men with vision (Charles and Erik) and how they could be friends yet enemies at the same time. The supporting cast were simply their players and who they chose to follow adds depth to the tension between the opposing sides.

I voted pretty good in your poll, because I enjoyed the film. Like you, I'm a long time X-Men fan and I have to throw out my history and let the film stand on its own. In that respect I thought it was good. :)

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I have yet to go, but how was Alex Summers/Havoc? He's my favorite and I am excited to see the character in the film.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I posted this review on my blog...

6. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I won't tell you too much as I don't want to spoil it, but they did a pretty good job being faithful to his character in the comics. Like others have mentioned here the supporting cast was not very developed so there's not a lot to say about him. His role serves a purpose and he adds some comic relief.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, he was never a big focus ion the comics either, but I always loved that character for some reason.

8. Huntn, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I forgot to mention Havok. He was ok, but as others have basically said, besides Xavier, Mystique, and Magneto, upon which the focus was placed in the conflict against the efforts of Sebastian Shaw, the other characters were just there filling up screen space. This goes back to what I was saying about writing and directing. I don't think these were bad actors, but the director and writing failed to bring out the same level of humanity in these characters as in previous X-Men movies.

It's so easy to bring up examples of what I'm talking about. Look at the tormented natures of Wolverine and Rogue. Look at how Bobby Drake (Iceman) was treated by his family when the students fled their school in X-Men2. Remember the tension when two missiles were homing in on the X-Men's SR71 and Jean Grey can't quite destroy them both! The fight between Dead Pool, Victor Creed (Sabertooth), and Wolverine! In skilled hands, rich personality, conflict, traits, and kick ass fights don't take that long to develop in a movie to blow you away. But they are mostly (completely?) absent in XMFC. Even the original comics who barely had any time for character development, did a better job than this movie.

BTW, thanks for the replies and poll participation! :)

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'll still go see it and make up my own mind. ;)

10. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I hope you find it enjoyable. We all have to make up our own minds. :)

11. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I saw it tonight. I think I bought into a lot of the good reviews - especially the ones comparing it to some of the other reboots such as Batman. I'm not a hard guy to please, so generally if the reviewers like it, I will too. Unfortunately that got my hopes up, and I ended up leaving the theater underwhelmed.

While it was an entertaining way to kill a couple of hours, I didn't find a lot of substance to it. I agree with much of what Huntn said - other than Xavier, Mystique, and Magneto, everything else was screen filler. There were a couple of genuinely good moments, but much of the movie seemed to be simply going through the motions.

12. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I just caught the Wolverine Origins movie on HBO and all my impressions of this movie as compared to First Class were reinforced. When a movie clicks, among other things the characters become bigger than life as if they have an aura about them. XMFC did not achieve this. :)

13. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

It was entertaining. I enjoyed it for the leave-your-brain-at-the-door. Rather not overanalyze a superhero movie :p

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I loved it. But then again I liked all the older X-Men films. I read some of the comics as a kid and certainly watched the old cartoon show.

A shame it wasn't in 3D. I bet that final battle scene would have been even more incredible in 3D.

The coin bit though... was that in slow motion or did he just move it slowly? Me and the girlfriend are torn over that bit!

15. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I thought he just moved it slowly.

16. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

The pace was indeed deliberately slowed by Erik; his voice is not slowed down as he counts. (Spoiler Alert) Erik wanted Sebastian to suffer psychologically during the count before he died, as payback for Sebastian's three-count before killing Erik's mother during the intro sequence. (End)

Anyway, I liked the film. The Wolverine cameo was hilarious. It was also nice to see the appearance of Emma Frost and especially Banshee, who got arguably the most character development of all the minors. I would have rather seen the original "first class" as portrayed in the comics, but many of those characters have already been portrayed in their younger years (Cyclops in Origins: Wolverine, Jean Grey and Angel in X-men 3) which could have made for a tired rehash or, even worse, a wildly inconsistent retcon.

However, I still like X-Men 3: The Last Stand the best of all the X-Movies so far.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:!

You got to be kidding.

18. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I recently watched it on HBO too, but wasn't as impressed. Some of the special effects were great, others were very amateurish. The Xavier appearance was cheesy. Schreiber was over-the-top as Victor Creed, even by comic book movie standards. Jackman was good as usual and Huston was a good bad guy, but I felt like the story tried to do too much prequel storytelling in one movie.

19. Huntn, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011

Huntn

My analysis is based on viewing enjoyment. :p

I consider X-Men2 & Wolverine Origins the best of the 5 X-men movies. Although X-Men movie reality is a far cry from X-Men comic reality, I have really enjoyed the emphasis on Wolverine (4 of 5) and Hugh Jackman the actor who portrays him. Three of those movies deal with his story. (1,2, and Wolverine Origins).

Victor Creed seems very in tune with a comic character persona. :) Specifically what I don't like in the movies is the compression of the stories which I acknowledge is necessary to some degree for moving the story from comic to movie. But my feeling is that Marvel has told the movie makers do what ever you want with story and characters. Sometimes that is not so good. :(

20. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I agree Magneto was the best character. But lets face it there was no way McAvoy would beat Patrick Stewart. I didn't mind Raven/Mystique buts thats probably my penis talking.

Emma Frost was the worst. Entire movie all she did was get up, turn on diamond mode and/or say one useless line. Rinse repeat.

X2/Wolverine are still the hallmark ones to watch.

21. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I mostly agree with your assessment, although I found Jennifer Lawrence (young Mystique) very flat in comparison to old Mystique. :) In previous X-Men there were high levels of human emotional interaction, suffering, betrayal, etc. Wolverine Origins oozes with it. The emotional connection is missing from First Class. Emma was a real 2D character. ;)

Another example, it was the emotional connection to the Spiderman movie characters which makes them special, filling them out, making them feel real vs parodies. Green Goblin is an incredible villain. My example of a parody would be Emma Frost or Kevin Spacy as Lex Luther. Yes, it's an opinionated view. BTW, I blame the writers not the actors/director, not Kevin Spacy. :D

22. Mac'nCheese, Jun 16, 2011

Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Not enough action. Didn't need stupid 15 minute Rocky like training montage. In the other films, it seems like Magneto and X had this long friendship and then a big falling out. In this film, they hung out together for a few weeks. If that. Also, how come X could walk at the end of Wolverine but in this film is in a wheelchair years before?

This guy didn't really like it:

http://www.screenjunkies.com/video/links-away-guy-didnt-like-x-men-at-all/

23. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

The main problem wasn't the script. It was that anyone thought a Superman remake needed to be made in the first place. It was so similar to the first Superman movie that by the midpoint I was asking myself why anybody bothered to go through the trouble.

And the specific problem for Spacey was that Gene Hackman nailed the Luther role in the first two films. Anything Spacey did would just seem like a lame impersonation, even though he made a solid effort to make it his own.

24. Huntn, Jun 16, 2011

Huntn

So did you go see it? :)

Call it a time glitch. ;) Your video link is hilarious. This is a parody or this person apparently has no familiarity with the X-Men story. He went to see a movie about transgender men... lol. He made me laugh as did this guy who loved it and wrote a song.. :)

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Same here. But I don't there has been a bad X-Men movie yet. Each one has its merits and I enjoyed all of them for different reasons.

Quite tempted to pick up the quadrilogy boxset now! (1-3+Wolverine)