X sold for $1849 on Ebay

JM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
Aw man....

My CFO (wifey) told me I probably shouldn't buy an X to resell on Ebay.... Too bad, we could have made ~$500 (~$600? ~$700?).

(picture of winning bid attached)

Attachments

Reactions: Wackery

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
eBay is not a great platform for maximizing your profit as they take up to 10% commission.

And I don’t think many people actually pay these prices. That’s why the same ads keep relisted over and over again.

Reactions: JUCJ85

iPhone82

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2015
If you want to sell your phones i recommend Swappa. You only pay $25 to sell it (use to be $10) , granted its still dealing with PayPal but i've never had issues selling with them in the past

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
I would NOT sell the iPhone X on eBay. There is absolutely nothing stopping a buyer from claiming it not as described, and ship back an old broken iPhone. eBay and PayPal almost always side with the buyer, as it's just a he said, she said situation and they like keeping buyers happy.

Wait for the iPhone X to get here, then sell it on Swappa or Craigslist.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
I would NOT sell the iPhone X on eBay. There is absolutely nothing stopping a buyer from claiming it not as described, and ship back an old broken iPhone. eBay and PayPal almost always side with the buyer, as it's just a he said, she said situation and they like keeping buyers happy.

To be fair Swppa uses Paypal with the same risks; maybe a touch less as a more legit group of buyers overall. But still paypal risks/scams.

I've heard the same scams on swappa as ebay with paypal disputes. I sold once on Swappa and luckily went ok, but just not worth it anymore when Paypal is involved.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
To be fair Swppa uses Paypal with the same risks; maybe a touch less as a more legit group of buyers overall. But still paypal risks/scams.
Yeah that's true, you'd still have the PayPal risk, but eBay is the company that allows refunds for the buyer claiming "not as described". I'd personally stick with Craigslist for the iPhone X at first.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Yeah that's true, you'd still have the PayPal risk, but eBay is the company that allows refunds for the buyer claiming "not as described". I'd personally stick with Craigslist for the iPhone X at first.
Ebay owns Paypal. It's both of their policies to side with buyers' claims. You can Google lots of Swappa fraud/chargeback stories.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2009
Colorado
Aw man....

My CFO (wifey) told me I probably shouldn't buy an X to resell on Ebay.... Too bad, we could have made ~$500 (~$600? ~$700?).

No surprise.. Should’ve capitalized on it yourself too!

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Ebay owns Paypal. It's both of their policies to side with buyers' claims. You can Google lots of Swappa fraud/chargeback stories.
I think it's just that less scammers bother with Swappa compared to eBay, but never the less I would avoid eBay at all costs if you're trying to sell the X at a huge markup.

Reactions: baypharm

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
The chances of the buyer screwing the seller over are very high on Ebay. Not worth the risk, in my opinion.
Not only that but what is eBay's cut? 25%? Paypal's cut?

I quit selling on there because not only was their fees just ridiculous but the buyers were always favored over sellers when it came to complaints. My feedback rating was perfect but I still had a few buyers try to pull one over on me and it was really just a huge hassle.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2017
Boston

OMG, I think I have posted what you wrote here verbatim ten times. So true. I used to swear by eBay as it supported my "must have the greatest electronics habit" but last year was it for me. I tried to sell my "old" phone and had two buyers back out, one demanded a return because it couldn't find their wifi. eBay was useless and the second person who won my relisted auction a week later after not paying sent me a note "no money, don't want it" and that farker left me negative feedback and eBay would not remove it.

The seller gets screwed on eBay, no loyalty. No to mention the idiots who answers the phone. Rant off.

nviz22

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2013
The chances of the buyer screwing the seller over are very high on Ebay. Not worth the risk, in my opinion.
What are ways buyers screwing sellers over? Lying about the phone not working properly? Anyways, I think sellers will probably use insurance, signature requirements, tracking numbers, put a restocking fee attached to the phone, and restriction on a possible return window if they do take returns so they can get $ back from Apple in the case of a defective device.
[doublepost=1509147171][/doublepost]
OMG, I think I have posted what you wrote here verbatim ten times. So true. I used to swear by eBay as it supported my "must have the greatest electronics habit" but last year was it for me. I tried to sell my "old" phone and had two buyers back out, one demanded a return because it couldn't find their wifi. eBay was useless and the second person who won my relisted auction a week later after not paying sent me a note "no money, don't want it" and that farker left me negative feedback and eBay would not remove it.

The seller gets screwed on eBay, no loyalty. No to mention the idiots who answers the phone. Rant off.
Last few times I sold my phones on eBay, I had a person not pay me until like a week after they hit buy it now. Then they tried to change the address up on me to an unverified address. I was firm and sent to the original address. How could eBay just chalk up a wifi issue because of a buyer's incompetency?

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
People are acting like you’re guaranteed to get top dollar. Look at the ‘sold’ prices on ebay. They are all over the place. In CA I’d pay like $1270 for the 256GB model. Add $50-75 for overnight shipping. Ebay and PayPal take like 9-12%. I’d have to get $1450 just to break even.

What are ways buyers screwing sellers over? Lying about the phone not working properly?
Ebay/PayPal tend to side with the buyer. Ebay is trying to compete with Amazon so sellers are forced to accept returns no questions asked. There’s no way to prove you actually shipped them an iPhone X. Buyer can return an old phone to you and claim it was the original phone you sent.[/quote]

gpoop

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2017
The same group of idiots who buys a pair of shoes for 3K when they retail for 250. Yes I like Yeezys but GTFO with your prices resellers.

Reactions: xRYD3Rx

DJosche

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2017
Aw man....

They can return it in 30 days and screw the seller extremely easily.