X Thumb--Ouch!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by janeauburn, Sep 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. janeauburn macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

I see a lot of thumb cramps and repetitive stress thumb injuries resulting from the X.

Call it "X Thumb": I have no doubt that it'll be a thing.

Go ahead. Move your thumb into that position. Now do it a couple hundred times a day. How does it feel?

xthumb.jpg

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Almost anything you do a couple hundred times a day has potential problems.

3. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

That is not the position that my thumb takes when I touch or swipe the bottom of my phone. I don't even think my thumb can take this position. Is this person double jointed?

4. janeauburn thread starter macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

Nope. There are anatomically natural movements (bending your knee, for example) and anatomically stressful movements. The extreme degree of thumb bending required by X, as the user will have to move so low on the screen to initiate a basic action like returning to the home screen or invoking task switching, is not a natural movement.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2017 ---
    You are no doubt talking about the regular iPhone, which, because of the bezel, does not require your thumb to bend so much. Nor do you have to do it as often as you will have to with an X.

This is the first thing I noticed when watching the demo of the X. I'm surprised more people have not remarked upon it. It's likely because they haven't used it (yet).

5. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I have little doubt people will complain about. My point is that it is bound to happen.

7. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

The first thing I did when I saw the picture was pick up my phone and start interacting with the very bottom, ie. pretending there was no bezel. My thumb does not take any such awkward or uncomfortable positions.

8. janeauburn thread starter macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

In the picture, the thumb is moving up, which means it actually came from an even more awkward and uncomfortable position. So the photo underplays the issue rather than exaggerates it. I've noticed this in every demo I've watched of the X. It's a thing.

Even worse, to invoke task switching, your thumb will have to exert force on the screen while being in a most uncomfortable position. This will put yet more stress on the thumb. Not good.

9. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Okay then. Guess you shouldn’t get one. Thanks for the public service announcement.

10. kasakka macrumors 68020

This is one of the issues I have with these tall phones. Even on my current Oneplus 3 I use the on-screen buttons instead of the capacitive ones because the onscrene ones are higher up so they are easier to reach. With everything at the very bottom on a tall display you have a harder time reaching them when using the phone one-handed. Likewise the top portion of the screen becomes an issue, more likely to show up operating those tiny "back to Safari" etc buttons on iOS.

11. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

i'm disabled and can still reach across the bottom of my huawei mate 9 screen.
    my disability effects my hands quite a bit.

12. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

I'm so glad I've been a two-handed user since the original iPhone.

13. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I always use my Plus with two hands so I don't see it being an issue

14. Applefan4515 Suspended

Applefan4515

Here I'll bust your ridiculous theory for you now. I currently have a galaxy s8 plus, and the home button is hidden until you swipe up from the bottom, just like this motion. I do it thousands of times a day and never an issue. Not once.

15. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Much obliged for this NASA-esque research.

16. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

"Cupertino, we have a problem."

17. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Unlocking your phone with a fingerprint scanner on the 6/7/8 would have the same impact. Your point?

18. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

This might bear watching,

I will stay tuned...

19. Ralfi, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017

Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Why has forumchick not liked the OP yet?

Btw...
    0137A7F3-77DA-4399-AE07-D1CBAC1A13C6.jpeg

Thumb's fine.

20. chabig macrumors 603

Task switching doesn't involve pressing.

21. kormsby macrumors newbie

kormsby

And....with this we've reach a whole new level of stupid subjects to post threads about... Seriously....the phone isn't even out yet why in the world would you worry about this?!?!

22. Damon2 macrumors regular

Can the X just release?

Maybe it'll stop nonsense threads like this.

23. deadworlds macrumors 65816

deadworlds

I can reach the bottom of my 7+ just fine with my thumb. Yes, I know we have a bezel on these but it’s not hard to pretend that there isn’t one. Second the task switcher on the X doesn’t require force touch, but rather a swipe half way up the screen. This guesture is also not difficult using one hand and thumb. Honestly people, If you don’t plan on getting the X, please please just stop telling people why you don’t want one. There are literally hundreds of threads about why people aren’t getting one. We get it!

24. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

It won't.