Xbox360 vs PS3 Questions

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by KadMac, Nov 21, 2010.

1. KadMac macrumors regular

KadMac

So if I buy an Xbox 360, I have to pay monthly fees in order to play games in multiplayer? I am not sure I get this since PS3 offers free multiplayer and blue ray capabilities. Whats the XBox 360 incentive to buy?

2. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Not sure what the need for this post is, because it seems your mind is already made up. Buy a PS3 and use what they offer for free.

3. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

The Xbox has more games but you have to pay to play online with others, and if you buy an old Xbox but buy a new Xbox game, you will be charged more to play the game through Xbox live.

The PS3 is free to play online, has Blu-Ray, and has better graphics.

I'm in the same situation myself - I don't know which one to get. I'm leaning towards the PS3 though.

4. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Um, what??

5. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

at first i thought he was talking about how EA wants to charge a fee to gain access to multiplayer on some of their titles, im unsure if they started this already. basically their games are to come with codes for access to multiplayer. if you buy the game used, you are likely not to have that code, thus you will have to pay the fee.

however he said new game, so i dont know what hes talking about.

6. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

i dont play online much myself and when i do its PC for me.

both systems offer very similar experiences. regardless of what some may believe their graphics are on par with each other. search the web for comparisons.

the online multiplayer experience is integrated better on xbox live than it is on psn. there is a standard that ms makes game developers follow to ensure this. there is no such standard for the psn, at least there wasnt months ago. its all up to the developer on how they incorporate things like in-game chat.

xbox has zune marketplace for movies, tv shows, music etc. sony has the playstation store for movies, tv shows and i think they have music now. i know they have comics. being so closely tied to movie studios sony owns, ps3 has a wider movie selection of sony movies anyway.

if you dont have a bluray player and want one, the ps3 might not be a bad idea. if you care more about the gaming, get the system with the games you want to play.

7. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Yea, no clue what he is referring to. Besides, the thing about the "unlockable" online is that it would be for both 360 AND PS3 versions, so it really wouldn't matter what system you own.
    Better yet, just go where your friends are. That is what makes the multiplayer fun, whether its free or not. Pretty much none of my friends have PS3s, we all game on 360.

8. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

:confused:

9. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

I have both a ps3 and xbox 360. There is no difference whatsoever in graphics at all. most multi platform games actually look better on the xbox. the only difference between the consoles is the exclusive games. And I enjoy the xbox exclusives allot more than the ps3 exclusives. Just get whichever you feel better about buying cause neither is better than the other in any category. Just personal preference.

10. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

The 360 has more games available for it, both on disc and downloadable. But keep in mind, it has been available for a year longer, so that is a bit misleading.

Xbox 360 Games (795)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_360_games

XBLA Games (349)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_Live_Arcade_games

Total: 1145

PS3 Games (649)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_3_games

PSN Games (~300)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_downloadable_PlayStation_3_games

Total: ~950

11. ryan0402 macrumors 6502

I am asking the same question but I decided PS3 since I am on a limited budget. Now all I need to know is how to connect it to my iMac

12. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Woah, I had no idea there were so many games out for either system!! :eek: Thanks for that info.

So yeah, I guess if ~950 games are not enough for your needs, this would be a good argument for buying a 360 over a PS3. :p

13. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

Don't forget the xbox is a much better media center then the PS3.

IMO it comes down to the games you like. xbox exclusives or ps exclusives.

When you think about it the charge to play live is really small.
    A 12 month subscription is about $70 AUS. Depending on how much you play in a year its not that much. I worked out it came to < 4c per multiplayer game for me.

14. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

For me, it's the cross-game party chat that is TOTALLY worth it. Many of my old high school and college friends have since moved, started families, or both, so we don't get to see each other much any more. But, we can easily get online and play in the evenings or on the weekends. We will normally have 5-7 of us in Party Chat at any given time, often times playing different games, just talking and laughing.

It is even better now with the new ESPN3 app. We are all Big 10 fans, so we always get on during the games on Saturdays, and can watch the same game, and talk about them. It's like having an 8-way phone call, that doesn't cost you any minutes. That alone is worth the $40 or so a year that I've paid for Live.

15. micahR macrumors newbie

I hate these threads so much, but I am drawn to them like a stripper to cocaine.

There is no incentive to go with the Xbox. I just refuse to spend an extra 300+ bucks to get the PSN experience.

16. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

I have both and ever since I got my PS3, my Xbox 360 has been collecting dust. Here is why I like my PS3 over the 360:

1.) Free online multi-player. Yes I am cheap and don't play online enough to justify the price. That and I don't like the 12 years on live. They are just plain annoying. Much less of that on PSN
    2.) Best Blu-Ray player for the price. If you don't have one and a HDTV thats > 37", totally worth it.
    3.) Streams Netflix without Gold (unlike 360)
    4.) PS3 Media Server (Open Source http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/) is one of the most useful tools ever. It takes a directory on your PC, makes it visible to the PS3 and streams your content over your LAN. It works best with wired connections to get less stuttering.
    5.) Cross-Platform games are readily available. They look the same so that's a wash.

Doesn't mean i don't like my 360, but sans Mass Effect, i haven't really had a chance to dust it off.

17. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I just bought an Xbox for streaming music from my iMac to my stereo. I picked the Xbox because it has the best online gaming community and that was important to me. But if you want the blue-ray then get the PS3.

18. RedburnIV macrumors regular

RedburnIV

I think the overall Xbox experiencing is more welcoming than PS3's. Just my opinion, but PS3 interface really didn't do anything for me. Plus I've heard about the quality of online multiplayer is pretty bad since it's free. Again, my opinion, but the only thing the PS3 has over the xbox is the blu ray player.

19. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

Another thing the xbox has that is hands down better then t PS is the controller. Who ever has been designing controllers for PS (from 1-3) should be fired already. Its like he threw a bunch of buttons on to some plastic and said that will do. Where as xbox controllers are ergonomic and feel natural to hold. A lot of people complain about the original controller (the giant one) but that was still better then the current PS controllers.

20. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

The only advantage to XBOX 360 is the Halo series. For everything else the PS3 is better.

21. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Not quite. You forgot a couple of this generation's best games....

[​IMG] [​IMG]

22. macfan881 macrumors 68020

but How many Exclusives do each system have i would say atleast 50% or close to that are ps3 exclusives.

23. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

I think you are being quite optimistic if you think that 50% of the games on PS3 are exclusive. Go ahead and correct me on that, but I HIGHLY doubt that. Besides, that is irrelevant to what I was talking about. I was posting total number of games, as Taustin was wondering. And by total number of games available, regardless of exclusivity, the 360 has more.

Also, the total number of exclusives is a meaningless number unless you like ALL of them. I mean, maybe the PS3 does have more exclusive games. It is possible, and probably true. But the fact remains, the only one that I'm personally interested in is Gran Turismo, and even that is starting to fade. Whereas, the 360 has Halo, Crackdown, Geo Wars, Forza, Left 4 Dead, Trials HD, etc. Those are all 360 exclusives that I enjoy, meaning the 360 has more exclusives that I want to play.

24. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Follow the links and you'll see which games are exclusive and which are not. ;)

According to other Wiki links:
    PS3 exclusives: 185
    360 exclusives: 209
    Wii exclusives: 354
    These numbers are for all games ('full' games as well as PSN/XBL/WiiVC games).

Exclusive titles are becoming more and more rare because of the higher costs. It makes since though that Nintendo has the most because they have so many iconic first party franchises.

Lethal

25. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

What you are trying to present as a fact is merely your completely subjective opinion. :rolleyes: