Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Xiaomi Takes on iPhone 7 Series With 'Mi 5s' and Dual-Lens 'Mi 5s Plus'

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Chinese mobile phone maker Xiaomi has responded to Apple's iPhone 7 with the launch of a pair of new high-end smartphones.

The two handsets succeeding the company's flagship Mi 5 phone are called the Mi 5s (5.15-inches) and the Mi 5s Plus (5.7-inches), the latter featuring dual cameras as per Apple's own 5.5-inch Plus device. The 12-megapixel cameras come with an f/2.0 aperture, dual-tone LED flash, phase detection auto-focus, automatic HDR, and video recording of up to 4K resolution at 30fps.

Both phones have a 1080p display and a fingerprint scanner under the front glass, which Xiaomi says "recognizes a 3D map of each user's fingerprint through ultrasonic waves", so no physical button is needed. The use of ultrasonic is also said to tolerate dirty fingers better than the capacitive sensors found in Apple's devices.

Both dual-SIM handsets are also powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 processor, but the Pro is clocked higher and has 6GB RAM and 128GB storage, whereas the Mi 5s features 3GB RAM and 64GB storage as standard, with 4GB RAM and 128GB storage as optional add-ons. Similarly, a higher spec Mi 5s Pro is available with 6GB RAM and 128GB storage.

#Mi5s new Xiaomi flagship: ultra-large camera sensor with 1.55um pixels, ultrasonic under-glass fingerprint sensor, 600-nit display, SD821 pic.twitter.com/BChcE3OGgP - Hugo Barra (@hbarra) September 27, 2016

The phones will be available in China from September 29, with the Mi 5s priced from 1999 RMB ($299) and the larger Mi 5s Plus costing upwards of 2299 RMB ($345). There's no word yet on when the phones will become available in other regions.

Article Link: Xiaomi Takes on iPhone 7 Series With 'Mi 5s' and Dual-Lens 'Mi 5s Plus'

eebrown

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2014
Too bad it runs android, the only thing holding me back from something other than an iPhone is IOS.

Reactions: Playa!!
Comment

poppy10

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
UK
These are top-tier specs for an android phone - Snapdragon 821 processor, 6GB RAM, Qualcomm's latest fingerprint ID technology. If it weren't for Xiaomi's MIUI skin on android I might be tempted
[doublepost=1474975146][/doublepost]
How about using the 5S logo for a start? We'll ignore the Plus name stealing, they've actually just flat out copied the trademarked S in a box logo for Apple's S phones. You can't do that.
The S isn't trademarked
Here's a (long) list of all of Apple's trademarks

http://www.apple.com/legal/intellectual-property/trademark/appletmlist.html

Comment

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Competition is getting good, Apple. Series 4 of iPhone 6 next year? Better hope not.

All new design 2017 in 4 inch, 4.7 inch and 5.5 inch sizes.

Reactions: tongxinshe
Comment

Accipiter

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2010
How about using the 5S logo for a start? We'll ignore the Plus name stealing, they've actually just flat out copied the trademarked S in a box logo for Apple's S phones. You can't do that.

Sure you can. Apple doesn't own a trademark on "S inside of a box."

Or for that matter, the word "plus." The "Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus" is a thing, you know.

Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Finger print scanner is interesting. Phone looks about 2 iPhones thick.
It does sound interesting. Phone is 8mm vs 7.3mm for the iP7+. An extra ±900 mAh of battery capacity will make it thicker. Personally, I'd take an extra 0.7mm of thickness and ±900mAh every day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Android is Android, but at least has better specs than the Note 7, costs half the price, and shouldn't explode.
Do all of the specs help the performance, and can the phone actually use the 6gig?
Competition is getting good, Apple. Series 4 of iPhone 6 next year? Better hope not.

All new design 2017 in 4 inch, 4.7 inch and 5.5 inch sizes.
Competition is getting good is correct. Why even buy a phone from Samsung for less specs and twice the price?

Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
Do all of the specs help the performance, and can the phone actually use the 6gig?
It helps if the memory management isn't optimized and Android memory management isn't (I drive an Android phone daily).

Competition is getting good is correct. Why even buy a phone from Samsung for less specs and twice the price?
As pointed out in the video posted by @djcerla, Xiaomi has to cut corners to meet that price point. The corner they cut was build quality, single frame vs double. Basically it comes down to choice and every one doesn't choose based on price or specs.

Comment

beanbaguk

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
I can't say I would buy this phone as a primary device but I would certainly have one for the kids.

I am a big fan of Xiaomi products and have used their stuff for quite some time. I own a number of their security cameras and they are outstanding, along with battery chargers, cables and more.

Ultimately, it's tremendous value for money and at one third the cost of an iPhone, great for people who cannot afford an Apple product.

I think it's great.

Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It helps if the memory management isn't optimized and Android memory management isn't (I drive an Android phone daily).

As pointed out in the video posted by @djcerla, Xiaomi has to cut corners to meet that price point. The corner they cut was build quality, single frame vs double. Basically it comes down to choice and every one doesn't choose based on price or specs.
Reading the forums daily on MR it seems specs and price are sometimes the only thing that matters, especially applies to iPhone; who "loses" the spec sheet war. So specs do matter to some, it seems.

If your basic usage is email, Facebook or consumption why get a higher price phone or even an iPhone. Seems like cut-rate is good for consumers.

Comment

rippley5150

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2015
Sterling VA
I see many people using Xiaomi phones well I'm out and about in Beijing. They seem very popular here. I had a Xiaomi S2 and thought it was a good phone. Yes, it was running Android but I liked it and it wasn't all that expensive.

Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
Reading the forums daily on MR it seems specs and price are sometimes the only thing that matters, especially applies to iPhone; who "loses" the spec sheet war. So specs do matter to some, it seems.

If your basic usage is email, Facebook or consumption why get a higher price phone or even an iPhone. Seems like cut-rate is good for consumers.
Forum life:rolleyes: Specs and price matter only when it supports my argument or I can use them to discount yours.:D That's how it works in any forum. Most people buy what they want, not necessarily what they need. We can all find something for less that can adequately suit our needs. Doesn't mean we want it. Desire tends to drive purchases.

Last edited:
Comment

HoosBruce

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
This was a good thing to steal from Apple at least. I did like the original marketing photo showing all of them at once. I don't really care if they're using the iPhone as an inspiration or whatever. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 8.19.46 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 8.23.04 AM.png

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.