Xiaomi Takes on iPhone X With New Mi Mix 2S Smartphone Featuring Dual Camera System and Wireless Charging

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 27, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Xiaomi unveiled its new Mi Mix 2S smartphone at a packed auditorium in Shanghai today, claiming that the handset surpasses iPhone X in several departments while only being half the price of Apple's flagship device.

[​IMG]

From the front, the maximum screen, minimal bezel design of the 5.9-inch phone looks almost identical to the Mix Mix 2 announced barely six months ago, but there are some changes to the rear, and the handset includes a number of internal updates, including support for Qi wireless charging, but it still lacks rated water resistance.

Like the original Mix Mix 2, a slim bezel below the device's full HD LCD display houses a 5-megapixel front-facing camera in the right corner, which allows Xiaomi to avoid an iPhone X-esque notch area up top. Meanwhile, the ceramic back panel is home to a fingerprint sensor and a new 12-megapixel dual camera system consisting of a telephoto lens and a wide-angle lens, with portrait mode features and optical image stabilization.

[​IMG]

At one point during the event, Xiaomi CEO Lei Jun compared the iPhone X and Mi Mix 2S cameras side-by-side to demonstrate how much faster the Mix 2S can focus and capture subjects in shot, owing to the phone's advanced dual-pixel autofocus. Lei Jun noted that the phone has picked up a DxOMark photo score of 101, with an overall score of 97 - the same as the iPhone X - and claimed that the camera can detect up to 216 scenes and translate text or convert currencies in real-time, thanks to its AI-powered capabilities.

Internally, the phone sports a new, more energy-efficient Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 processor, coupled with either 6GB or 8GB of memory, along with the same 3,400mAh battery as the earlier model, a mono speaker, and no headphone jack.

The Mix 2S will come in 64, 128, or 256GB of storage capacities, and is available in black or silver, both starting at 3,299 yuan (about $526) for the base model, and rising to 3,999 yuan (about $640) for the top-spec device which includes a 7.5W fast-charging wireless pad. The Android 8.0 Oreo-running handset will be available to buy in China from next week, before rolling out to Xiaomi's other established markets, which presumably precludes it from launching in the U.S. for the foreseeable future. However, the phone does support all global 4G LTE networks out of the box.

Article Link: Xiaomi Takes on iPhone X With New Mi Mix 2S Smartphone Featuring Dual Camera System and Wireless Charging

2. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Moonjumper

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Uncanny how the back resembles the iPhone X camera almost perfectly.

4. anthorumor macrumors 6502a

5. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

What a nice IPhone X ... wait where is the notch ... must be in its early testing stages

6. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

This trend of no headphone jack is disappointing. I still use an iPhone, and while I don't plan to use a Samsung, I have to commend Samsung on still keeping the headphone jack.

7. ChrisCW11 macrumors 65816

Sticking the camera on the bottom might not be a great design choice, but you can't call it an iPhone clone without the notch.

8. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

it’s over. let’s move on from the headphone jack debate.

9. pohejo macrumors newbie

At Apple right now: "SHIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAT!"

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Granted my suggestion is not for everyone, Have you tried the Airpods? Great product.

11. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

12. Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

That selfie camera at the lower-right corner (where my thumb usually is) is almost as awkward as putting the fingerprint sensor on the back.

13. Mack813 macrumors member

No front facing camera?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 27, 2018 ---
    now i see it what an awkward spot

14. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

I think western media gives these Chinese brands way too much attention. Will this phone even be able to be purchased in the US?

Also, I’ll take the notch over the front facing camera being in such a stupid spot. Reminds me of these new laptops so obsessed with shaving off bezels the webcam ends up looking up your nose. Stupid.

15. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Great looking phone.
    I foresee Apple improving the hardware but also foresee a huge initiative of displaying how the various devices integrate with each other (handoff).
    Everyday I appreciate more and more having Apple products at my finger tips.

16. Mack813 macrumors member

man idk they mighta out did apple with this design.

still dont know which one to prefer faceid or the fingerprint scanner on the back

and i have an iphone x

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Even when and if Xiaomi makes it to the United States, I Think the core competition will likely be against other android devices versus Apple.

18. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Their attention to (copying) detail is slavish - check out the wallpaper.

19. FS1819 macrumors newbie

FS1819

What’s the point of going bezel-less if it actually detracts from the user experience? The camera is positioned away from where it should be. To make it worse, the phone doesn’t actually look good...

20. BobKay macrumors newbie

It's not a iPhone X clone. there are more full screen bazelless phones coming and none of them will be a iPhone X clone.

21. indiekiduk macrumors 6502

Xiaomi brands some excellent products made by all the small companies they found, their electric scooter is so good, their Wi-Fi routers are great value, so I'd be tempted to try their phones.

22. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

I understand why the iPhone needs vertical rear cameras(the TrueDepth front camera takes up the space), but it’s much worse for resting/using the phone on a table. I’m not sure why this phone which doesn’t have that design conflict would copy that design.

23. spazzcat macrumors 68030

spazzcat

Nope, the camera at the bottom has to create a weird angle to hold the phone, so you face don't look odd, you don't think Apple tried the camera down there?

24. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

25. spazzcat macrumors 68030

spazzcat

This isn't a bazelless phone, it has a chin.