Xoom $800?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Apple..., Jan 21, 2011.

1. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

According to Engadget: http://m.engadget.com/default/article.do?artUrl=http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/21/motorola-xoom-priced-at-800-at-a-minimum-according-to-verizon/&category=classic&icid=eng_latest_art

Minimum. Ouch.

2. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Yeah, it's wierd, I don't know why other tablet manufacturers are he'll bent on pricing these in a way so it's subsidized by the carrier. I'm sorry, but no way will I sign a two year contract in order to get one of these, not even an iPad.

3. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

The 5mp with flash, Honeycomb's desktop feel, (but we don't know about iOS 5 / 4.4) Adobe Flash, HDMI, expandable memory make up for the price, for me.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I'm sure that Apple are shivering in their boots.

5. Syk macrumors 6502a

I was really considering a Xoom. I was thinking it was going to be around $600-650.

That's more than the 32GB 3G iPad which I'm betting the iPad2 will be the same price.

I'll probably just get a 16GB WiFi+3G iPad2 now, unless they make the 32GB the base model for the same as the 16GB :D

I can't justify $800 for a tablet, any tablet and I refuse to sign a contract for one

6. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

My sentiments, exactly. Especially, with the new hotspot feature in 4.3, there is way less reason to even need 3g on a tablet.

7. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Except for the niche users who use it as a stand-alone, (which is a far lower percentage), it's a lot of money to spend on such a device (and could ultimately hinder sales).

8. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I am not sure what you are trying to say here, Op. Are you trying to say 800 dollars is a lot of money or are you trying to say Xoom is too expensive? Because, it's not.

Let's look at iPad 32GB wi-fi + 3G model. That costs 729 dollars.

Motorola Xoom has 32 GB storage, 5 megapixel Camera on the back and 2-3 megapixel camera on front with HDMI output and better screen than iPad.

800 dollars sounds like they did a good job. However, it's hard to say if this is subsidized price or full price.

If you look at smart phones like Droid X or iphone 4, they can be expensive like 600-700 dollars easily. So, what did you really expect to be? 499 dollars?

No. IT WiLL NOT HAPPEN! STOP DREAMING IN YOUR WORLD. THESE TECH PRODUCTS COST MONEY AND THEY WILL CHARGE YOU MORE ON FIRST GENERATION FOR DEVELOPMENT COSTS AS WELL. STOP LIVINg IN A WORLD THAT ALL the TABLETS WILL BE AS AFFORDABLE AS IPAD BECAUSE IT WON'T BE.

Also, they have wi-fi model in place, so we will see how much this will cost. However, you are saying ouch because this is expensive? No, it is not expensive.

9. hcho3 macrumors 68030

600-650? You gotta be kidding me. People live in a dream world. 32 GB 3G iPad costs 729 dollars and That's just 80 dollars more and it has two cameras, better screen and HDMI output. It has bigger screen as well. So, I don't think it's expensive.

10. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

How many actual users exist that dont own another idevice or an iphone besides the ipad?

11. Syk macrumors 6502a

$800 is crazy, heck the Adam is what $600 for the top of the line and with PQ screen although it is shy on the memory 8Gb

I look at it like this Apple & RIM make both their hardware & software. No other vendor is going to have their OS running on it.

Well Android is made by different vendors. The Xoom won't be the only tablet running HoneyComb, XDA will see to that. I'm sure Archos will release a tablet similar in specs but cheaper.

So what if it takes a $400-500 device 1 sec to rotate the screen vs a $800 .5 sec. to rotate Xoom or a 720P screen vs 1080p which I'd probably never notice.

Android will be on many other tablets. If this price holds true I'll pass on the Xoom

12. hcho3 macrumors 68030

You need to correct some information here. i agree that 800 dollars is a lot of money, but Xoom is not overpriced at all. As soon as I saw Samsung Tab was priced at 599 dollars. I knew that Motorola will hit 700 dollars easily and even hit 800-900 dollars price point. I am surprised that they managed keep it at 800 dollars.

Xoom Wifi+ 3G =800 dollars
    iPad Wifi+ 3G = 729 dollars

Given the fact that xoom has a lot of better specs than iPad with 2 cameras. There is no way anyone can claim that xoom is overpriced. It's not. If you were expecting it to be cheaper, perhaps, you were hoping. But, these companies are running for money and they have to make profits.

13. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

They're only floating a trial balloon. Just wait & see.

14. Syk, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011

Syk macrumors 6502a

No I'm not kidding I was hoping for a $600-650 price and yes a similar iPad is about the same price but like I said in the post above this one.

HoneyComb will be on other devices beside the Xoom, so what if it's slightly not spec'd the same and will be just as usable. You're can't buy another device with iOS or QNX on it unless you're buying from Apple or RIM.

ETA:
    Also they're not offering a lower pricer entry model. I did hear there will be a WiFi version which should be cheaper but I think it should have been released 1st. the $800 will sticker shock people

15. hcho3 macrumors 68030

You were hoping and dreaming, but sorry this is real. Other tablets will be similarly priced or they will have way smaller screens like 7 inches.

I am also concerned about how updates will got with these devices. It looks Motorola Xoom is the flagship model for Android Tablet 3.0, so it will get updates fast. Others? Well not so much. Look at what is going with Galaxy S models and HTC devices.

16. Syk macrumors 6502a

Yeah I see what happens to other models, they keep dropping in price(subsidized price) but even if they don't get offical updates. XDA will churn one out for the other device....

ETA:
    It's fine if Moto wants to sell it at that price. I just won't be buying one now, it was tops on my list. I'm sure others will though..

I just can't justify $800 on a tablet, that's any tablet.

17. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Again, that is assuming you. Not everyone wants to root their devices and not everyone will want to install XDA software to get the latest software. This is why I hate Android. The users should not have to root or install 3rd party softwares to get the latest software, period. You maybe speaking in terms of yourself, but I am thinking and saying based on average joe like me. I can know and learn to root, but I should not have to.

18. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

There isn't much point comparing the Xoom and iPad's pricing - you're comparing a tablet that hasn't been released yet against a shipping product which has been out for 10 months and is due a refresh. The Xoom isn't going to be going head-to-head against the iPad, it'll be up against the iPad 2.

19. Syk macrumors 6502a

If we're going to talk about avg Joes then they are going to see Xoom $800, iPad $499 even though they aren't spec'd the same. They're going to see Brand name and price.

Same thing happened with the Galaxy Tab. People said WOW to the price and always brought up the $499 iPad to compare it to.

Buy whatever you want. I don't care.

Ok I was hoping the device would come in at the $600-$650 range if that makes you feel better. I just can't justify to myself $800 for any table although I could go pay cash for it so it's not being able to afford it it's just that I can't see how spending that much would make since to me.

20. Bytor65 macrumors 6502a

Given that the Xoom isn't shipping, a better comparison would be to iPad 2 which will be out around the time Xoom is shipping. I think you can bet on cameras and likely no price increase for Apple.

Moto is expensive. If they actually want to sell, it will have to be less than that.

21. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I would not even saying hoping. You were more like dreaming. If you cannot justify yourself for 800 dollars, then fine. Yes, 800 dollars is a lot money, but this thing is no where near overpriced.
    Your argument about it doesn't make sense how this thing could cost 800 dollars is really .... no no no.

I am surprised that they managed to keep it 800 dollars. I was expecting to hit 900 dollars or higher. 600-650 is the price that makes 0 sense. iPad 499 dollars is for wi-fi model. Galaxy Tab was 3G+ wifi model. There is no reason to compare what so ever. They are different products with different specs.

22. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

It's expensive, if it is the starting price. If this is the only model, then it is expensive. I think the starting price for iPad 2 will be 599. Also, I think they will lower the price for the iPad 1 models (299,399,499:16,32,64 gig).

So, I think iPad will have several models from 299 to 799 (wifi) and 399 to 899 (wifi,3g).

So, yeah, Xoom is expensive.

23. hcho3 macrumors 68030

No it is not expensive, period. I would agree that 800 dollars is a lot of money, but this thing is no where near being overpriced. People think it's overpriced because everyone are dreaming that somehow tablets should start at 499 dollars. No. No. No.

Don't compare apple to orange. Compare apple to apple.
    iPad 2 is not out yet, but it will have cameras like motorola xoom.

iPad 32GB wi-fi 3G costs 729 dollars already and I expect iPad 2 to be the same. Xoom has 32GB storage, but has bigger screen at 10.1 compare to 9.7. It costs 800 dollars and specs are really good and decent.

How does extra 70 dollars can be called as much as being expensive? It is not.

People needs to stop dreaming. Tablets are not cheap gadgets, period.

24. Syk macrumors 6502a

I know they are different specs and I said that but it still didn't stop people from comparing them.