XP and Leopard obsolete?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Liquinn, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Liquinn Suspended

Hi, do you think that Windows XP and OS X Leopard is obsolete?

Thoughts?

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

No. Definitely not XP, but either Leopard. It actually still has a little more than 10% install base.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Define obsolete?

I think for a given set of hardware you probably have better choices. W7 for a Windows box, Snow Leopard for an Intel Mac, but that doesn't mean they are obsolete.

B

4. malman89 macrumors 68000

I have Leopard and I'd call it obsolete. Chrome and Firefox stopped supporting it. Flash is getting outdated. Flash pretty much only works well in Leopard under Firefox for me - most video on websites don't even load under Chrome.

XP isn't obsolete in my mind. It still has full support and does everything I need it to do in Bootcamp. I mean it's so incredibly behind Win7 it's not even funny - I love my Win7 so much at work.

I don't really see the point in upgrading to Snow Leopard though, as I'll be putting this laptop into retirement once I get an upgrade this year (waiting on Haswell).

5. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Leopard no longer gets updated and I believe Microsoft will stop supporting XP this year. Yes they're both obsolete. Especially XP, that **** came out in 2001 for crying out loud.

6. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

XP support from Microsoft ends April 2014. That means that no more security updates will be released after then. XP was good but 7 is so much better, even on the same hardware.

7. soomster macrumors regular

soomster

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

XP was a great system, but in this age, it's time to move on. Win7 does everything fine.

9. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

XP is defiantly obsolete in regards to its tech compared to 7 and 8. No question really.

10. AQUADock, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013

AQUADock macrumors 65816

AQUADock

Age has little to do in determining if something is obsolete or not, if Leopard and XP still do the tasks that you want them to do then its not obsolete.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Depends on how you define obsolete.

Winxp still works, does everything you want and is fast. True it won't get updates from MS.

Likewise for Leopard, no updates, but its stable and many apps run on it. The difference with Leopard is that less new apps run on this then on winxp.

I still have a computer running OS9 (a G4 cube), its got a PhotoShop, MS Office, and a web browser running on it. Most people would say this is obsolete yet I can create documents, edit images, send emails and surf the web.

12. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Neither are obsolete.

XP still gets most modern software and is fine for most users, with or without features from newer operating systems.

Leopard is still fine, even though it occasionally takes a little work to find versions of software that work. Usually, old versions are perfectly functional and still work fine for what a lot of people use it for.

(Posted from my TiBook running Leopard :) )

13. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

XP came out in 2001. 12 years ago. It's most definitely obsolete.

Look at this phone from 2001 and compare it to the iPhone 5/Galaxy 3. Shows you how far technology has come in the past 12 years. XP is built on the same technologies as this phone. So yeah, it's definitely obsolete.

[​IMG]

Leopard? Not as obsolete considering it was released in 2007 and is literally half as old as XP. But nearly all the machines that run Leopard can run Snow Leopard, so I don't see why anyone would still run 10.5 over 10.6.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This mirrors my thoughts as well.

15. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

All the computers at work run XP

All the computers where I work (a university in Thailand) run XP, and I can't see them being updated soon. It may be obsolete, but there is still a lot of it around, and I guess will be for a while yet.

An acquaintance was still running Tiger a couple of years ago, but I think he has since updated his computer to an Intel model, and therefore his OS. Everyone else I know who has an Apple computer is using Lion or Mountain Lion. Given the relative ease and cheapness of updating OS X these days, I reckon Leopard is a dead duck.

16. m00min macrumors 6502

Any OS that stops getting patches is obsolete, Microsoft is stopping Windows XP support next year. If I were running any XP powered computers that I couldn't upgrade I'd be taking steps to isolate them from the internet next year.

Does Apple still put out security patches for Leopard? If not I'd be treating Leopard based systems the same way as XP ones.

17. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Leopard is the max OS for PowerPC, and there are still a lot of those machines out there.

Not everyone has a choice.

18. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Depends....

in what one is doing. If some software solution only works in XP or Leopard, I cant consider them obsolete. But still, with time and evolution of OSes and hardware, support starts to drop and that is for me, a sign of obsolescence. The moment when the hardware or software is no more supported in a wide manner, shows to me the start of the decline, IMHO

:):apple:

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

XP might be over 10 years old but I'd rather use it than Windows 8. I wouldn't say it is obsolete though since many programs still support it just fine.

I'm not really sure about Leopard but I'm guessing everything still works on it.

20. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Someone told me a few months ago that they were still running OS X Tiger on their Intel machine. Like someone else said, sometimes you don't have a choice. I thought they were crazy, but then they said that it's mainly because they use software and plugins that weren't supported for Leopard or later and that it was going to cost them an arm and a leg to reinvest in everything and find new tools.

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

XP is still used widely in the corporate world. For personal use, I'll say yes it's time to move on.

22. m00min macrumors 6502

It's a strong case for virtualisation. I've got an XP virtual machine that I run for opening old Freehand files. I don't let it access the net. Best of both worlds; I get to keep running some software I need but use a more secure OS for day-to-day stuff.

23. 2020mike macrumors 6502

This.

24. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Still have XP on my desktop. I had limited experience with 7 but find I'm much more used to XP.

25. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

There's really no excuse to still be using a PowerPC Mac as your primary machine. You can get a used Intel one for cheap these days.