• Go for the Gusto get the XS 256gb

Votes: 63 38.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
So I am coming from a Note 8, it is a great phone and I love it. Hate to give it up actually.
Right now I am in the process of a decision between a 2018 MacBook Air (128gb) or the 2017 MB 12 Inch (256gb).

I have been looking at these phones and it seems to me the XR will suit my needs 100% seems some of the features are more convenience over anything and it is about a $300 savings.
However which ever equipment I do buy I want to keep for at least 2 years (if not 3), I am tired of buying this stuff every so often.
So should I go with the latest and greatest or should the XR suffice.

It is a tough call because I can live with the screen and 128gb should be enough on the phone, but I am wondering if the 3D Touch, OLED screen, and more memory is the better route to go...

Just looking for some feedback on these topics...
Thanks.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
So I am coming from a Note 8, it is a great phone and I love it. Hate to give it up actually.
Right now I am in the process of a decision between a 2018 MacBook Air (128gb) or the 2017 MB 12 Inch (256gb).

I have been looking at these phones and it seems to me the XR will suit my needs 100% seems some of the features are more convenience over anything and it is about a $300 savings.
However which ever equipment I do buy I want to keep for at least 2 years (if not 3), I am tired of buying this stuff every so often.

It is a tough call because I can live with the screen and 128gb should be enough on the phone, but I am wondering if the 3D Touch, OLED screen, and more memory is the better route to go...

Thanks.
1 - buy MacBook Pro 13 inch (entry level)
2 - buy iPhone XS

Reply back in 5 years time.

My dad is using an iPhone 5s and my mum an iPhone 6. Both around the 5 year mark in age and still working well.

They also use a Mac mini 2012, 6 years old now? Also still going strong.

Decisions are made with the information you have at the time. You may be wrong or you may be right. You won't know until after you pull the trigger.

Zaft

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY

Thanks.
The XR will be a size downgrade with the screen compared to the note 8. I say get the XS Max, OLED screen, thinner bezels, dual cameras.

Reactions: Zxxv and Wide opeN

iApplereviews

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2016
The Internet

Thanks.
So I do tech reviews so that is my reason for having both. I got the XR a few weeks ago and while I do like the XS Max for its larger OLED screen if I never had the XS Max than the XR isn’t a disadvantage. I think with a smaller lower res screen you do get better battery life and the phone runs a hair smoother. That being said it’s pretty much down to if you want a larger screen (if you go with the Max) or if you want an OLED

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
The XR will be a size downgrade with the screen compared to the note 8. I say get the XS Max, OLED screen, thinner bezels, dual cameras.
I wanted to actually go towards a smaller device. The N8 is a great device but a bit too big for my liking and also I never use the stylus.
I do like the XS Max but man that price though... $$$

Thx for the feedback so far folks.

iApplereviews

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2016
The Internet
I wanted to actually go towards a smaller device. The N8 is a great device but a bit too big for my liking and also I never use the stylus.

Best advice is go to a store and compare the screens on the XR and XS. See if you would mind a lower res non OLED or not if not save money and go with the XR

Reactions: Jovijoker

nordique

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2014
I think the XS is the better phone objectively. But it’s not worth the extra $

Save it and get the XR

You’re not paying for much more value

If the XR had an older chip or cameras in it, it might be more justifiable

Reactions: That70sGAdawg

agente46

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Phones depreciate and only last a couple years. Personally i’d rather save money on the Xr since I’m going to sell it or trade it in later anyway.

And the difference between a 128 Xr and 256 Xs is $350.

Last edited:

Zaft

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY

How about the X? you can get a pretty good price for it and it will last a while.
I just think the XR will be a huge downgrade screen wise for you. Try one out at a store and see how it looks.

Reactions: PaladinGuy

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
Good opinions. You guys are right coming from the Note 8 the screen may be a slight issue.

Are carriers the only ones selling new X model iPhones?

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68000
Dec 3, 2017
Phones depreciate and only last a couple years. Personally i’d rather save money on the Xr since I’m going to sell it or trade it in later anyway.

And the difference between a 128 Xr and 256 Xs is $350.
Over the course of 3 years, it’s .32 cents a day. Literally peanuts.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68000
Dec 3, 2017
I’ll remember not to take financial advice from you.
We’re taking about $350 bucks. If anyone runs into financial ruin because they bought a phone, they are screwed to begin with. I know all about compound interest and saving, but when it comes to a phone you use hours a day and keep for multiple years, it usually makes sense to buy the best you can afford.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors 604
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Over the course of 3 years, it’s .32 cents a day. Literally peanuts.
You don’t pay for phones like that though. The more expensive iPhones are either on high cost contracts or you have to pay fully upfront. We are also in an era where you can get cheaper iPhones that do the same job so you don’t need to spend as much to begin with.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2018
We’re taking about $350 bucks. If anyone runs into financial ruin because they bought a phone, they are screwed to begin with. I know all about compound interest and saving, but when it comes to a phone you use hours a day and keep for multiple years, it usually makes sense to buy the best you can afford.
“.32 cents” and “$350 bucks”? Yeah sure you’re on top of your financial game.

I really cannot understand the train of thought for people who justify paying 50% more for something they could (a) not use or (b) not be adequate.

XS vs XR is not really a simple comparion of what’s “better”. XS has higher quality display, portrait cameras and a better finish. XR has much longer battery life and displays more content on the screen. Then it’s a matter of what matters most to OP.

Advising someone to pay 50% more for something they might not want or need shouldn’t even be classified as advice.

Reactions: MarkX and AlexJoda

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68000
Dec 3, 2017
“.32 cents” and “$350 bucks”? Yeah sure you’re on top of your financial game.

I really cannot understand the train of thought for people who justify paying 50% more for something they could (a) not use or (b) not be adequate.

XS vs XR is not really a simple comparion of what’s “better”. XS has higher quality display, portrait cameras and a better finish. XR has much longer battery life and displays more content on the screen. Then it’s a matter of what matters most to OP.

Advising someone to pay 50% more for something they might not want or need shouldn’t even be classified as advice.
I’m not saying go get a $900 car note or a $400k house. This isn’t a financial decision that will break the bank. The XS is a better phone, especially for someone used to a note 8. That’s all.

Reactions: StaceyMJ86

neil74

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2017
If it helps I have the max and honestly if I did it again I'd get the XR.

I just got the XR for my daughter, the screen is not as good but not noticeable day to day unless you put them side by side. LCD has some benefits too as well as battery lots of people complain about eye strain with the OLEDs, not an issue with the XR. I do think apple penny pinched with the screen though and at that price it should have been 1080p.

I also love the red. My only negatives with the XR would be the side bezels which I think are quite noticeable and no force touch which I use for keyboard cursor swipe all the time.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
The XS is a better phone, period.
This doesn’t tell the OP anything at all. Why do you believe that is ‘Better’? Is it because of the OLED display? 3D Touch? Or the stainless bands? Telephoto lens? Are those features alone a major differentiator for the reason why the OP should consider the XS over the XR? (For the record, the OP mentioned in another thread that the ‘OLED display wasn’t sure if it was something they would miss’.)

Now, as a Max owner, I can honestly say that I don’t think it’s _that_ much better over the XR, yes, it has a nice aesthetics with the stainless bands, the telephoto lens really is not meaningful to me, 3D Touch is nice, the OLED display isn’t likely a major feature to most ‘Non-Tech’ consumers, but it’s not vastly different from the liquid retina display on the XR. So in my opinion, these phones are very close in competition with both features they offer, and the value in terms of what you’re purchasing seems to be leaning towards the XR, especially what someone can find one with trade in’s and promotions.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
If it helps I have the max and honestly if I did it again I'd get the XR.

I just got the XR for my daughter, the screen is not as good but not noticeable day to day unless you put them side by side. LCD has some benefits too as well as battery lots of people complain about eye strain with the OLEDs, not an issue with the XR. I do think apple penny pinched with the screen though and at that price it should have been 1080p.

I also love the red. My only negatives with the XR would be the side bezels which I think are quite noticeable and no force touch which I use for keyboard cursor swipe all the time.
If you long press the space bar on the XR, it has the same effect as 3D Touch on the keyboard to move the cursor.

Reactions: annk