iPhone XR XR to 8+ back to XR

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 21, 2014
I bought an XR at launch. I loved pretty much everything about it except how skinny it was and the effect that had on two important things (to me anyway) - videos and web browsing. Essentially the new aspect ratio meant that text was smaller in Safari and videos on the 6.1 inch screen were smaller than on a 5.5 inch screen (16:9 aspect ratio).

So I returned the XR and bought an 8+ refurb. The first thing I noticed is that despite a higher PPI, I noticed no difference in screen quality between it and the XR. Web browsing was definitely more pleasing given the extra width in portrait mode. Videos were also bigger and I had no notch to worry about. So why give my 8+ to my daughter (for Xmas) and get another XR? Several reasons - Face ID kicks the living **** out of Touch ID, the + is too big imo, gestures on the XR are a much better way of navigating the device than using a home button imo. I dont understand why the gestures aren't an option on the + like they are on the iPad, which has a home button. I also find that I now desire a mostly bezel-less device. So XR here I come!...again.

Broadus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
Thanks for sharing your choices and the why of them. I’ve been tempted to return my XR for an 8 Plus, but when I lay out the pros and cons, I think I would regret it long term.

I wish that the text of the XR were larger. Thankfully, display zoom gets is up to what I think standard display should be.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I bought an XR at launch. I loved pretty much everything about it except how skinny it was and the effect that had on two important things (to me anyway) - videos and web browsing. Essentially the new aspect ratio meant that text was smaller in Safari and videos on the 6.1 inch screen were smaller than on a 5.5 inch screen (16:9 aspect ratio).

So I returned the XR and bought an 8+ refurb. The first thing I noticed is that despite a higher PPI, I noticed no difference in screen quality between it and the XR. Web browsing was definitely more pleasing given the extra width in portrait mode. Videos were also bigger and I had no notch to worry about. So why give my 8+ to my daughter (for Xmas) and get another XR? Several reasons - Face ID kicks the living **** out of Touch ID, the + is too big imo, gestures on the XR are a much better way of navigating the device than using a home button imo. I dont understand why the gestures aren't an option on the + like they are on the iPad, which has a home button. I also find that I now desire a mostly bezel-less device. So XR here I come!...again.
When I tested out the XR over a weekend, I had to enter my passcode more than I do using Touch ID. Could be user error though as I only used it for a weekend. But I knew I didn’t want to keep the XR as there were too many compromises for me over the current 7 Plus I had. The gestures for navigation were quite intuitive though but lack of 3D Touch definitely bothered me as I use that way more than I thought I did.

Broadus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
When I tested out the XR over a weekend, I had to enter my passcode more than I do using Touch ID. Could be user error though as I only used it for a weekend. But I knew I didn’t want to keep the XR as there were too many compromises for me over the current 7 Plus I had. The gestures for navigation were quite intuitive though but lack of 3D Touch definitely bothered me as I use that way more than I thought I did.
I think you made a smart non-move. The 7 Plus is still a really good phone.

I upgraded from a 6s to the XR primarily because my wife was using the 4S that we bought in 2011 and it was needing rebooting too often. She took my 6s and loves it ("love" may be too strong--a smartphone is simply a utilitarian tool for her).

FaceID works great for me. I had to learn not to hold the phone too close to my face, especially when I awake in the morning and don't have on my eyeglasses.

Reactions: Jovijoker

karmatourer

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
In my house

Went from mint 6S+ to 10R and haven't looked back. I totally agree with your," Face ID kicks the living **** out of Touch ID". And battery life is unmatched.
[doublepost=1541872152][/doublepost]
I've used passcode 2x in 2 weeks.User error for your Face ID.

Reactions: Jovijoker

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 21, 2014
When I’ve compared FaceID and TouchID I can’t say I’ve noticed a huge difference. TouchID seems marginally quicker to me but they both open your phone. Can’t say I can get excited over such a basic feature, but maybe that’s me.
For me it wasn't about speed but rather ease of use. With TouchID I have to grab the phone perfectly, whereas with FaceID I just have to be near it.
[doublepost=1541875549][/doublepost]
Went from mint 6S+ to 10R and haven't looked back. I totally agree with your," Face ID kicks the living **** out of Touch ID". And battery life is unmatched.
[doublepost=1541872152][/doublepost]
I've used passcode 2x in 2 weeks.User error for your Face ID.
I used a passcode once and it was because I had on anti-snowblindness goggles and a hood. In that situation TouchID wouldn't have worked either considering my gloves.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Last year when our company phones were purchased I could have gotten the X, but decided on the 8+ I did this because I really wasn't ready for Face ID, but now that I have the Xr, I find myself feeling like it's a pain in the butt to use the 8+. I have in 2 full weeks of using the phone had to enter the code 1 time and that was because the phone was on while I was fumbling around and it somehow went into emergency call mode. You do have to enter your code if you restart the phone, but I mean in just normal use. Also the gestures are just so much easier to navigate and going back and fourth between them I often try to drag things from the bottom of the screen on the 8+. LOL. Nothing wrong with he 7 and 8 line of phones and as long as you are satisfied that is all that really matters. I personally don't see the Xr as compromising at all! I also see Apple adding more and more ability to use Haptic Feedback in place of 3D Touch as they are doing now with notifications added in 12.1.1 beta recently. It's good to try other phones, nothing like giving it a grand old try. :)
[doublepost=1541876161][/doublepost]
So XR here I come!...again.
Welcome back to the Xr :D

doboy

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2007
I actually find I have to enter the passcode more often with XR (not too often) than my 7+ because of certain situations where the XR wants to scan my face to unlock, but it’s covered by my hand or something else because it was not my intention to unlock the phone. It's little annoying compare to Touch ID.

Reactions: Gudi and ARizz44

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors 604
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
For me it wasn't about speed but rather ease of use. With TouchID I have to grab the phone perfectly, whereas with FaceID I just have to be near it.
It’s not really about speed for me either, that was just a difference I noticed. Whether my phone is laying down on a desk or in my hand I’ve never felt at all inconvenienced by placing a digit on the TouchID button. The same if I’m unlocking as I’m getting the phone out of my pocket. It’s completely intuitive and after years of using it for me it’s an action I don’t even think about.

Reactions: Raist3001

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
It’s not really about speed for me either, that was just a difference I noticed. Whether my phone is laying down on a desk or in my hand I’ve never felt at all inconvenienced by placing a digit on the TouchID button. The same if I’m unlocking as I’m getting the phone out of my pocket. It’s completely intuitive and after years of using it for me it’s an action I don’t even think about.
I can certainly see that, but I think Face ID becomes the same way, though it does require some adjustments. Example: I did a second scan on my face to capture the lower portion of my face more prominently so that the phone would open when I look over and it's on the desk. But then I opted for a phone stand which I've always wanted and just never bought one. Now I just glance at the phone and boom it's unlocked. I stuck my 8+ on the stand and I would have to pick it up to make Touch ID work. I also know that initially when I started using Face ID I kept getting stuck on the swipe up screen. I think many users of Face ID wish there was an option for the phone to go right to the home screen. The swipe up doesn't bother me personally, but I can see the advantage of Touch ID going straight to the home screen. However, the idea of swipe up is to allow you to see your notifications, though you could do the swipe down from the home screen. Apple hates to give options/customization.

Reactions: Broadus

Tortugatron

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2016
Honestly I found the best thing to do is set up FACE-ID in the dark. I know, sounds weird but you are letting the tool use only the infrared dot matrix emitters map your face. It’s not using ambient lighting and since I’ve done this I have not had a single issue with or without glasses, laying down or even with it face up on my desk.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Last year when our company phones were purchased I could have gotten the X, but decided on the 8+ I did this because I really wasn't ready for Face ID, but now that I have the Xr, I find myself feeling like it's a pain in the butt to use the 8+. I have in 2 full weeks of using the phone had to enter the code 1 time and that was because the phone was on while I was fumbling around and it somehow went into emergency call mode. You do have to enter your code if you restart the phone, but I mean in just normal use. Also the gestures are just so much easier to navigate and going back and fourth between them I often try to drag things from the bottom of the screen on the 8+. LOL. Nothing wrong with he 7 and 8 line of phones and as long as you are satisfied that is all that really matters. I personally don't see the Xr as compromising at all! I also see Apple adding more and more ability to use Haptic Feedback in place of 3D Touch as they are doing now with notifications added in 12.1.1 beta recently. It's good to try other phones, nothing like giving it a grand old try. :)
I agree with a lot of your points here. The gestures on the XR are very easy to navigate and I did really like that a lot. Logging into websites/apps was also really convenient when I was using the device. I think if the Haptic Feedback made it into the notifications (at the time of my testing) I wouldn't have had as big of a complaint as that's where I use 3D Touch the most often. I love being able to reply when a banner comes up at the top of my phone without leaving the app that I'm currently in.

Tortugatron

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2016
I agree with a lot of your points here. The gestures on the XR are very easy to navigate and I did really like that a lot. Logging into websites/apps was also really convenient when I was using the device. I think if the Haptic Feedback made it into the notifications (at the time of my testing) I wouldn't have had as big of a complaint as that's where I use 3D Touch the most often. I love being able to reply when a banner comes up at the top of my phone without leaving the app that I'm currently in.
That’s coming back soon. They are probably retooling the coding that’s used on the iPads to integrate haptic touch.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
That’s coming back soon. They are probably retooling the coding that’s used on the iPads to integrate haptic touch.
I'm glad that it's coming back, but unfortunately at the time of my testing it wasn't available and I don't believe it was announced it would be coming back until after I had already returned it. I'd be interested in re-testing the XR once the update goes live.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
You don’t need 3D Touch for that. You can just pull down on the banner to reply to notification without leaving the app
I didn’t know that, thank you! I would always 3D Touch those. But I do use 3D Touch to reply from the notifications screen more often.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
The 8+ and XR are so close in competition with the features they offer, but you’re really choosing the form factor and face ID with the XR. Personally, I think the 8+ is the most refined iPhone Apple has offered in the past years, and now that they are discounted, I still think they will sell fairly well in the upcoming months with the holidays.

But one thing I have to say that 8+ has, is the *full* 3D Touch functionality, I understand some don’t care for this, but I adopted this feature heavily once it was debuted on the 6s and I have used it since it’s inception. So for me, I would have to vote the 8+ personally.

Last edited:

Glideslope

macrumors 603
Dec 7, 2007
A quiet place in NY.
When I’ve compared FaceID and TouchID I can’t say I’ve noticed a huge difference. TouchID seems marginally quicker to me but they both open your phone. Can’t say I can get excited over such a basic feature, but maybe that’s me.
It's not you. It's quicker. The Face ID Module in the XS is identical to the X. The only reason for the slightly quicker response time is from the new 8 Core Neural Engine taking over more optimization of resources. I get the people who like the XR for video, and gaming, the lower resolution really is not an issue. However, having spent a day with a XR in my usual work flow consisting of 90% reading text I'll keep my 8+. My 8+ goes all day on it's battery. I'm not putting down the XR, it has it's place. I am surprised by it's slow demand and Apple bumping Pegatron's 8 production by 50%. So they know something. I expected it to be the hottest device in years. 401 ppi on the 8+ makes a noticeable difference in sharper text. I'm not the only one who notices this either. :apple: