iPhone XS XS Battery Capacity already at 97%...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Derek87, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Derek87 macrumors 6502

... after only 38 charge cycles.

i was surprised to see this after updating to 12.1.1... i have never experienced this sharp a fall off for any of my iPhones. in fact, with the replacement of the battery on my iPhone 7 last year (which my wife currently uses), it is still at 100% after over 200 cycles.

do i have dud, or will it steady out at 97% for a long time. i hope the latter...

any other experiences out there? i know this is a bit OCD, but i am really surprised by this fall off (the battery on the device checked in at 101% when brand new (using Coconut Battery), and i usually am pretty conscious about not hammering the battery (not running below 20%, not overcharging, etc.)

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The battery app sucks and is not accurate. Put it on charge tonight and when you wake up, look at it again. My iPhone X showed 100% after using for a whole year so I have little to no faith in the battery health app.

This is why Apple did not want to give us this app.

There is another thread on this and you might want to read:
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/battery-health-is-utterly-useless.2158288/

3. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

4. Derek87 thread starter macrumors 6502

i'm actually referring to the Coconut Battery app which i have actually found very useful over the years both with my iOS and Mac devices. i know its a bit OCD to look at them and the numbers can fluctuate 1-2%, but with my phone starting at 101%, i do think this number is significant. but maybe it'll change back in a couple of days. we'll see.

5. BoricuaHec01 macrumors 6502a

BoricuaHec01

6. chanerz macrumors 65816

7. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

Here is my 49 week old iPhone X according to Coconut Battery:
    fullsizeoutput_605.jpeg

8. now i see it macrumors 68030

9. Whoakapi macrumors 6502

But do you charge to 100% ?

Going below 20% is a lot less stressful to the battery compared to charging above 80%.

10. BLBL, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018

BLBL macrumors member

Probably you just did not win in the battery lottery. It seems to me that there are a lot of variation how batteries last, even in the same model units even when they are both as strong when new. And then there are situations where battery straight out of the box in already weaker.

If you notice shorter running time, then maybe you could take advantage of Apple cheap battery replacement program, but I'm not sure if it is valid for XS. Would be reasonable that they would extend this to next year also, since there are a lot of units that are included in current program still sold as new today, so why they should not get cheap battery replacement also when the time comes.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 6, 2018 ---
    Why? How often you see peoples having battery health reduced in apps, telling battery still lasts as long as new? I don't think I ever seen any. Of course that health 'number' is not exactly the percent how much weaker your battery is, and it also does not mean that once it reports 80% your battery still has 80% operating time of the new battery, you're lucky if it is over half of that.

11. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

What is that based on?

12. Whoakapi macrumors 6502

13. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I had my 6s+ come to me at 96% of design capacity from factory. I was really sad to see this initially but after almost 2 years of ownership, it stayed at 96%.

Highly recommended to only take a reading after a full charge too (not 100% but when coconutBattery says Fully charged). More accurate that way. My Xs MAX can read 98% if I'm not fully charged, when fully charged it's over 100% design capacity.

14. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

15. Derek87 thread starter macrumors 6502

i continue to see 97% when fully charged or partially discharged in Coconut Battery. it might be that i just lost the battery lottery as suggested above. i've always had great luck with my batteries using my typical charging methods (almost always above 20% (that has been the case entirely for the XS thus far...lowest i've let it run is maybe 38%) and trying to unplug whenever charging is complete (although i do fairly often charge when i'm asleep)

16. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Or basically that its just an estimate that sometimes changes and in this type of situation might very well not really mean anything one way or another.

17. Freakonomics101 macrumors 68000

Freakonomics101

9 month old iPhone X: 100%
    11 month old iPhone SE: 98%

Info from the Battery Health section in settings. I NEVER let my iPhones or iPad die. I try to keep the charge above 30%. Only once has my iPhone X dropped below that but still above 20%. I like to make sure I max out battery health since I don’t want to upgrade for awhile.

Heat exposure is very important as well. My iPhone SE has been exposed to a little bit of it but not terribly.

18. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

People actually look at this? Use your phone normally and for me i charge at night that’s it and never need to charge anytime before then.

19. Whoakapi macrumors 6502

I don't think a little heat to SE will be measurable. The SE is an aging phone, so I think the reason could also be that the battery in the phone is from an old batch. Apple has been selling this phone for ages.

In general I find the iOS battery health measurement a bit wonky. I've had an iPhone 7 for work for over a year and it still says 100%...