iPhone XS Max XS max vs note 9

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rbtrucking, Sep 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rbtrucking macrumors member

What's everyone thoughts? I know this will probably end in a war but can anyone here really say the XS Max is better than the note? I've owned both since launch day and can honestly say the only thing about the iPhone that's better is the battery life. Other than that Note absolutely destroys it in every way.

Am I the only one that thinks this?

2. gpoop macrumors regular

Typically, Iphone users do not care what Samsung is doing. Myself included.

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If you are happy with the Note, that is all that really matters. What others think about their personal usage has no real direct bearing on your personal use needs with either phone.

With MacRumors membership in the hundreds of thousands, I am positive you aren't the only person.

4. doboy macrumors 68020

Simple. Keep the Note 9 if that’s better for you.

5. TheRealAlex macrumors 68000

I agree 100%.
    The features packed into a Note 9 would make Steve Jobs tumble.
    Here I am with a $4.00 a month XsMAX on Sprint I can’t complain and at $4.00 a month in 18 months I pay $250 and its mine to keep. I did have to give Sprint my old S8+.
    I begged Sprint for a Note 9 @$18 a Month. But they could not budge.
    I was Watching a YouTube Video and Texting at the same time on the Note 9 and when the YouTube video got to a certain part. I pulled out the SPen, drew a box around the scene. And pulled that screen Capture into a Text Messgae in real time. That level of advancement is only offered on the iPad Pro.

6. Rbtrucking thread starter macrumors member

Ya honestly after using the note and s9 for a year prior to this I pick up an iPhone and am bored almost instantly.

7. ssl0408 macrumors 65816

Pointless thread intended to get iPhone lovers angry.

8. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

The Note resides in a class of its own. There is no other smartphone that packs everything that it does, both from a hardware and software standpoint. It can literally act as a pocket PC. Because of the robust Apple ecosystem, and the number of products Apple designs, the Max isn’t intended to be that.

I do personally wish Apple would offer some of the iPad Pro features (split screen, PIP) that would bring it more into the feature-rich PC-like device that the Note is. Think like an iPad Pro Mini. We will ever see that? I have my doubts. Either way, both devices excel at what they are intended for. It very much comes down to user preference and you’re the only person using a phone that you paid for using your money. Buy what you like.

9. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

According to FFR the note 9 is outdated and not worthy to be mentioned in the same conversation as the iPhone max. I was a longtime android user who got my first iPhone last year. People who have not used android in a few years or never at all seem to think that android is for poor people or kids and that the OS is a joke full of hackers and viruses. It’s not even worth my time trying to convince anyone on here who is a die hard apple apologist that android is actually superior to apple in many ways.

One plus 6
    Lg v30
    Note 9
    S9/+
    Pixel 2/xl
    P20 pro

All of these phones are very impressive in different ways. I still am sticking with my iPhone due to the smoothness and Apple Watch support. So many people immediately just dismiss android and have NO clue what they are talking about it. All they know is it doesn’t run iOS so it must be crap. To be honest, the one plus 6 and the 6t coming up will provide as good or better experience than a max. They start at $569. Yeah, you will not be as safe and it’s not as fluid as iOS, but $569 is a lot less than $1099+ the last time I checked. The note 9 has more features than any phone ever made. Apple apologists are an odd bunch. They not only dismiss android but actually openly hope android phones fail. Very weird to me.

10. ARizz44, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018

ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

Depends on what a person wants. If I don’t care about features offered in any product then those features don’t make the product superior ‘to me’. I have no interest in drawing on my phone. The s pen is meaningless to me. I think icons look cheap on the Note and I’ve found many apps I use to be iOS only. I value airdrop, iMessage, and FaceTime immensely and those are iOS specific. I dislike how the sides of the Note curve and hate how it feels in the hand. I’ve used google apps on both and am amused at how much better I find them to be on an iPhone. I prefer the camera on the Max to the Note and definitely find the Max to be night and day more aesthetically appeasing to my eyes. I appreciate that my iPhone holds its value whereas a Note can be had for pennies on the dollar within 3-6 months of release. I don’t have to wonder if my phone will get an OS update or the timing if it does. The Note feels cheap to me and I don’t dig the long square look.

You’ll notice those are all ‘my’ ‘opinions’ and not meant to speak for anyone other than myself. I’m glad others like the Note. Competition is a good thing and so is choice. If I was forced to use a Note, I could and would. But it’s not my first or 5th choice.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2018 ---
    You don’t visit android central very often I take it. Hop on over there and mention that you went iPhone and if you dare, for sh**s and giggles say you prefer it. See what type of response you get and report back lol. Go find a pro-iPhone video on YouTube and then read the comments section. You think Apple fans are bad? Ha. It’s not one sided. I can assure you that.

11. 212rikanmofo, Sep 27, 2018

212rikanmofo macrumors 68000

I will never purchase any device that has Google as the main OS. That's enough right there for me to not even consider it. I respect Apple and it's stance to stand up to consumer's privacy. I don't want to be another guinea pig for Google, they're not going to profit off me by selling my data.

12. boomer11 macrumors regular

x4n1pu4srgn11.jpeg

Note 9 lte speeds. I guess Qualcomm got it right....

13. 212rikanmofo, Sep 27, 2018

212rikanmofo macrumors 68000

^ Ugly UI, apps look and function much nicer on iOS.

[​IMG]

I guess Apple got it even more right.

14. stflush macrumors newbie

I was a long time Android user and got my first iPhone a little over a year ago. I didn’t really want to switch but my wife and daughter were on iPhones and my son will be soon, so it made life easier consolidating to one ecosystem. I had purchased an iPad Pro a few months prior and was very impressed with it. Apple and iOS have a big advantage being one manufacturer when it comes to multiple devices working together seamlessly, compared to my experience with android. So evaluating each device separately you can make that case above, but like ARizz said it’s all about what’s important to you individually. I didn’t know what I was missing until I moved to iOS, I now that I’m here I’m very much enjoying the integration between devices (multiple iPads and Apple TVs I the house now). After being worried about the switch I don’t miss android at all. There is no right or wrong answer here though and it’s always good to have choices.

15. MyMacintosh macrumors 6502

MyMacintosh

I literally have no idea what a note 9 is or looks like. All samsung and android phones look like remotes to me. no thanks
    I see no need in multitasking at this level especially on a screen the size of a smartphone. That sounds like a headache to me

16. djkinetic macrumors regular

djkinetic

Android pie looks just as clean as iOS actually I thing it looks cleaner on my pixel 2 xl..that being said I use both ecosystems..I'm not a brand loyalist that is so blind I can't see the benefits of each ecosystem.

17. 212rikanmofo macrumors 68000

There's no benefits to me in using any android device.

18. boomer11 macrumors regular

other than it can do more than ios?
    those are great speeds. is that constant with your low 2 bar signal?

also the ui of both the screen shots look the same? unless you think the ability to have more notifications b/c of no notch is a bad thing....

19. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

Eh, while you wouldn’t want to do hours long work in a multi-window mode on a display of these sizes, it’s very handy for quick tasks and especially with two different apps where you are trying to reference different information to complete the same task.

I currently have both the Note9 and XS Max (yeah I know, gotta decide what I’m going to do with the Note), and just the other day I was streaming a football game in the native video player. This was an (illegal) stream from reddit, so not easily restarted if I was to exit. A buddy asked me if the Packers were winning. Without losing my feed I was able to pop up the score on another app using multi-window, grab the score, close it out and go full screen on my stream again. It’s small tasks like that, and things like balancing a budget, that make split-screen multitasking so beneficial.
    I can understand not being interested in a device for your own personal use. Dismissing some of the more beautiful smartphone designs that come from the Android market as ‘remotes’ however, I cannot understand.

20. aggie99 macrumors newbie

I have both. Probably going to keep both. I never would have thought I'd give up my Note 9 as my daily driver but I'm very impressed with the XS Max. I'm getting a little better battery life with the XS Max and I feel the camera is quite a bit better. I also love being able to use my Apple Watch again.

21. OTACORB macrumors 68000

OTACORB

The last phone on earth I would buy is a Samsung, but given that Google just loves to snoop out data and sell it. I refuse to use anything Google. I don't use chrome, google maps or anything else those thieves offer up for free. However, there was a time when I did the Samsung Android things... laggy ass phones with no updates after one or maybe two at the most. Hell even the Note 9 shipped with the old version of Android. Typical Samsung! But hey.. choice is what makes the world go around. If you like Samsung and Galaxy Phones.. power to you! I'll hang with my iPhones even though I think they are overprice and that Apple as a company are some greedy dogs!

22. treyhunnid macrumors regular

treyhunnid

One thing about them Androids especially Samsung’s, is they begin to run like trash after a few months. And don’t get me started on how they run if IF they get the next android update

23. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

Do you use YouTube, because that’s a Google owned company.

Should also be noted that Samsung’s version of Oreo already offered quite a bit of the features that Google is only just now implementing in Pie. And then some.

24. BeefSupreme macrumors regular

Had the note 8 for the past year. Couldn’t get an Xs max fast enough.
    On the note, I couldn’t even get through a day without recharging and putting it in medium power mode. I’ve got 30% left at the end of a day with the new iPhone.
    And android still sucks. I didn’t think anyone could write crap worse than windows millenium but I was wrong. ‘Microsoft held Google’s beer.

25. OTACORB macrumors 68000

OTACORB

What is Youtube? LOL. It's actually been a few weeks ago, but no login with an actual secure browser unlike Chrome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.