Xtra large iPhone = :(

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AnthonyHarris, Sep 5, 2011.

1. AnthonyHarris macrumors regular

AnthonyHarris

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Am I the only person around here that thinks an iPhone with a 4 inch screen is going to be a bit large? Each version of the iPhone so far have hardly been tiny.

While I want Apple to make a range of devices that cater to those that wish to have huge screens, I don't want to purchase a phone that is big enough to use as a makeshift raft.

Some of the android phones I saw in the shop the other day are bloody rediculous... I'd look less stupid walking down the street holding my 32 inch TV to my ear. I know it's just my opinion, but iPhone is fine as it is.

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I personally think 4" is the perfect size for the screen. I've had almost all of the iPhones (minus the 3G), and now have a Samsung Galaxy S II which has a 4.3" screen. I think the 4.3" screen is a bit too big, so something a bit smaller is perfect.

3. Nicolas4ever, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011

Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

I actually think that the 4" is the best screen size like DeusInvictus7 said.Also if it has 4" screen im sure it'll be easier to play games, navigate, type etc

4. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

That made me laugh..

That would be just hilarious... Swiping with both hands and feet.. :)

5. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I suggest you actually play around with some of the nicer 4" phones so you'll not compare them to 32" TVs. Samsung Captivate is a gorgeous 4" phone and hardly larger than the iPhone. It's actually nicer to hold and pocket since it's got rounded edges.

Don't think Apple is stupid enough to release a tank of a phone like some of the Droids. Won't happen.

6. twitt3r macrumors 6502

No, boss.king thinks that 4" is way too small, and wants an iPhone that has a screen the size of the new Samsung Note.

7. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

4" is the perfect size for me even tho I really dig the new Samsung Galaxy Note with it's 5" if I got that right!

8. stevemiller macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

There is the definite possibility that it'll be too big for your taste, but I'd reserve judgement till you can hold one. Apple isn't usually one to just indiscriminately copy industry trends, and certainly isn't known for big and cumbersome products (outside the Mac pro) my guess is you'll hear (perhaps biased) reviews to the effect of "it's a big screened phone but it FEELS smaller due to curves/thin-ness" etc.

That said, we KNOW there will at least be n94 phone that will be a refresh at the form factor you are comfortable with. So you're pretty safe either way.

9. cinek macrumors 6502

4" is a perfect size, if you don't like it, you can always get another iphone 4 or perhaps a lady phone

10. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I'd venture to say that if the iPhone 5 sticks with 3.5", it will be considered the 'lady phone'.

11. TaiO89 macrumors newbie

4 inch is the perfect screen size. what idiot wouldn't want the largest possible screen as long as the device fits in your pocket?

12. AnthonyHarris thread starter macrumors regular

AnthonyHarris

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Perhaps it's just some of the dodgy renders I've seen that put me off a larger screen. Personally I'm happy with what is already available, but I can understand that other people have wants and needs that are different to mine. I just see a time when phones are no longer small enough to fit in your pocket because demand for bigger screens outweigh the need for mobile communication. There has to be a limit, doesn't there?

13. condor422 macrumors newbie

iPhone Size

These minuscule changes everyone is talking about is funny. It's not going to make that big of a difference. The body has an amazing capacity for adapting to it's surroundings, including those we artificially produce. 4", 4.3", 3.5"...not that big a deal to the amazing adaptation skills of the body and brain.

If people want bigger and bigger and bigger, they might as well get an iPad or one of the smaller competing brand tablets. A lot of talk about something that each and every one of us will probably get used to and not even notice any more with a week or two of use. I find it interesting that nobody seems to be worried about functionality that comes with that new size. Hmmmm. :rolleyes:

14. dvoros macrumors 6502

screen size

Personally, I want an iPhone with a 4.5 inch screen.

15. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Tried it. Hated it. It's far too big.

Phazer

16. Savor Suspended

Savor

There was a time in the 1980's when carrying a boombox over your shoulder while walking down the street looked cool...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is all about getting used to and preferences at THAT TIME. I remember back in 2007, I thought the iPhone was a bit too wide. Like putting a taller iPod classic against my ear since I was used to phones with slimmer widths. Then I got used to it. I remember thinking I would hate the BlackBerry Bold's wider width. But it end up feeling very nice in my hand. It is all about getting used to it and adapting to change.

If some don't like a giant iPhone, then stick to the older one or wait for one that caters your taste. There is alot of choices out there. Right now, some people feel comfortable with the current size and don't want to deal with another change. We came in an era of gadget bricks before. Remember how BIG the Apple Newton, Palm Pilot, Nintendo Game Boy, and Sega Game Gear were? Remember how thick the Motorola Startac was?

There was a time when phones were getting smaller. Now it is shifting back and getting BIGGER. Not saying that is the direction we should be heading to. But considering tablets are becoming the new fad just for that bigger screen, I can see why there is a market for bigger phones which brings back the size that harks back to the old days. A market looking for a tweener. I basically look at cell phones, fashion, and pop music almost the same. Alot of it is based on trends and what is cool at that time. Some certain trends are preferred more than others.

THE CELL PHONE CONSPIRACY SCENE (LETHAL WEAPON 4, 1998)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsAVIpTwAP4

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Since I don't game or watch movies on my phone, maintaining the wonderful resolution of the retina display is what appeals to me. I also think the size of the iPhone 4 is perfect - also a very a beautiful form factor. So, although a little bigger screen would be nice, I wouldn't want the size of the phone to change. If a 3.7" or even 4" could be squeezed into the current size phone without loss of resolution - fine. If not - leave it as it is.

I know I'm not being very considerate of gamers, but I'm just a selfish bastard! ;) :p

18. LoganT macrumors 68020

The difference between carrying a 4" iPhone compared to carrying a 32" TV is obvious.

One is .5" bigger and the other is 28.5" bigger than the current iPhone.

Whenever someone says "If you want a bigger screen, buy an iPad", it's the equivalent of someone saying "If the motorcycle is too small for you, you should buy a semi truck."

19. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Perhaps that was hyperbole for the sake of argument - not meant to be taken literally. ;)

20. JustLeft macrumors 6502

Agree 100%. I also have the droid x and it is just a bit too big for me.

21. LoganT macrumors 68020

I agree. But everyone who is vehemently against a larger screen says a very similar statement.

22. aohus macrumors 68000

you know what Steve Jobs is famous for saying?

In response to why he doesn't use focus groups for helping him find out what the user wants/doesn't want.

'People don't know what they want until you hand them the product' (paraphrased)

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I wouldn't mind a 4-4.3 inch screen. Anything larger is too big in my opinion. It would be hard to fit in a pocket and to work one-handed.

24. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

OR:
    "People don't know what they want until I tell them" (made up) ;) :rolleyes:

25. aztooh macrumors 6502a

This.

Go play with a Nexus S or Atrix if you want to check out a 4" screen in a nice form factor. Very similar feel to the 3G/S models..a little bit wider, but thinner as well.

Bottom line is though, if you don't like the bigger screen, THEN DON'T BUY IT. And the extra real estate is more useful than just for playing games and watching movies. Viewing web pages and emails is better as well.

Sure, the Note has a very noticeable increase in size and would likely be cumbersome for a lot of folks. But stretching the screen to 4" is nothing in the size dept. Bunch of whiny over reactors around here.