Yahoo acquires Konfabulator

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Macworld reports that Yahoo has acquired Konfabulator.

Konfabulator is a popular extensible Widget engine which preceded the existence of Apple's Dashboard. Konfabulator widgets provide similar services by pulling information from websites. (gallery of widgets)

Konfabulator was first available for the Mac as a shareware application, but has since been also released as a Windows application. Yahoo plans on using Konfabulator as a way to push information to users and attract traffic to its sites. Following Yahoo's acquisition, Konfabulator will now be distributed freely.

Apple received some criticism on the similarities between Dashboard and Konfabulator. Yahoo's acquisition and distribution of Konfabulator will no doubt increase awareness and interest in Widget technology. Currently, the company plans on continuing development on both the Mac and Windows versions.

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2003
Pretty cool that it's free now. I wonder what the price point was? I will probably have to give it a try now that it's under new management.

daustin

macrumors member
In other news...

Apple has announced an ALL NEW technology that will be included in the next release of OS X. The new HTML based program can be accessed by users via Safari and is being called Yahoo. This all new Apple technology will allow users to access various bits of information freely from the internet and search for millions of websites around the world.

g4cubed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2004
Wasn't Konfabulator suppose to be making a PC version?
I never was crazy about widgets, from them or Apple.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Jesus said:
does this mean that yahoo will start deleloping lots of mac software???
The Yahoo and Pixoria people are actually hinting that the existing Yahoo Dashboard widgets may now fall by the wayside.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
g4cubed said:
Wasn't Konfabulator suppose to be making a PC version?
There has been a Windows version for a while, and a Linux version is supposed to be in the works.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I didn't like Konfabulator. Too much screen clutter away on my desktop. And without Expose, it will be really bad with Windows. The idea was good so I hope the developer got paid.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Love those widgets, but I agree that I feel a bit sorry for Konfabulator. T'was a good idea, and Apple ripped them off.

Hope Yahoo does something great with the technology on the PC side of things. Everyone should have the option to get Widgetified.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
iMeowbot said:
There has been a Windows version for a while, and a Linux version is supposed to be in the works.
What would be the point of a Linux version? They're a shareware company, they do things to make profit. Making a Linux version (which would have to be OSS) would be profitable how.... ? :confused:

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Unlike microsoft, Yahoo have put video capability in their Mac version of Yahoo Messenger ( no Audio, and poor frame rates, though ).

A tad off topic - but they do try.

Jesus said:
does this mean that yahoo will start deleloping lots of mac software???

JESUS
Why would Linux version have to be OSS?
Answer: No reason what so ever..

There is closed source / commercial software available for linux, you know!!

kainjow said:
What would be the point of a Linux version? They're a shareware company, they do things to make profit. Making a Linux version (which would have to be OSS) would be profitable how.... ? :confused:

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
kainjow said:
Beginning today Konfabulator is free of charge (they are also offering refunds to anyone who registered since version 2.0 was released). The software is being used as a promotional tool for Yahoo now, that's why they would be okay with that.

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
kainjow said:
Well, now that it's free I guess they don't care about making any money.

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
kainjow said:
It's an irrelevant question - Yahoo are giving K away free.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
I remember konfab! i think it was worse with resources than dash, and was not free, but had the advantages of allowing widgets only on it's dashboard or always on the desktop, users choice, and apparently its easier to write widgets for.

with that ugly widget bar/management system apple put in and the complete cross platformness of konfab I see people going back to konfabulator.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Stella said:
There is closed source / commercial software available for linux, you know!!
Yes, but the overwhelming majority of Linux users are cheapskates :p Corporates get it, but the consumer Linux applications market is depressing.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
BornAgainMac said:
I didn't like Konfabulator. Too much screen clutter away on my desktop. And without Expose, it will be really bad with Windows. The idea was good so I hope the developer got paid.
What clutter? You can hide everything away on a seperate layer, accessible with the click of a button, just like with Dashboard.

simply258

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2003
Bahrain
are people still arguing about the "Apple ripped Konfab off" ? I thought this was discussed to death and shown that Apple had widgets ages ago in a previous OS.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
iMeowbot said:
Yes, but the overwhelming majority of Linux users are cheapskates :p Corporates get it, but the consumer Linux applications market is depressing.
Borland ported Kylix - which was the Linux version of Delphi. Delphi was an excellent development tool ( Pascal based).

I don't think it ever did well almost casual users.. It did have some problems that would limit itself ( such as being x86 only, built upon winelibs ( which is different from WINE ) which made it feel not like a native Linux application ).

Corel pulled out of Linux desktop applications ( i.e., Corel Office - yet again built upon WineLibs ).

Yep, your right, Linux users want everything free.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
The name escapes me, but didn't Apple come out wit something like Konfabulator and Dashboard way back in OS 6? Which was why the creator of Konfabulator could not get a patent, which was also why Apple was able to reincarnate their old technology into Dashboard without worries of getting sued?

jocknerd

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2002
Virginia
Get a clue dude

iMeowbot said:

I run Linux, not because I'm a cheapskate, but because I choose to use my computer the way I want to, not the way some corporation wants me to. Its not about free, its about freedom. Just because you allow others to make decisions for you, I can understand how you don't get it.

By the way, I also have a PowerMac dual 2.0 G5 and an iBook. I bought MS Office for it and will never purchase it again. Open Office does everything I want. Outside of video editing, I can do everything on my Linux box that I can on my Mac.

I'll agree that the vast majority of desktop applications for Linux fall short of apps from Adobe and Apple, but the majority of users can easily get by with those apps for Linux. The reason Adobe hasn't entered the Linux market isn't because Linux users are cheapskates, its because Adobe would have to justify its price for its software against free alternatives. And it can't except among professionals. Why would a home user pay $1000 for Adobe products when they can get 90% of its functionality for free?

Linux users will gladly pay for software if they see value in it.

nitropowered

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2003
Ohio
grrr....

I bought Konfabulator last summer when it was $25. Then the price dropped to $20. Then Tiger came out. Now its free.

I like Konfabulator because you can put the widgets anywhere. In a separate widget screen, on the desktop, below the desktop (inlayed in the desktop, nice for calendars or weather widgets), and top most of everything. Something apple needs to work on.

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
I think debating the Apple vs. Konfabulator thing would be totally pointless. It's over and done with, and you know the dude from Konfab received a fat check from Yahoo. I'm sure he's not complaining, so none of you should.

Konfab totally blew anyway.

Fishes,
narco.