Yahoo Examines iPad User Demographics and Trends, Finds 10% International Usage

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Yahoo today published the results of some number crunching it performed on iPad users accessing its Web content. According to the data, males currently outnumber females 2:1 among iPad users on Yahoo's network, significantly about the nearly 50-50 split seen for overall usage. The survey also shows relative overrepresentation among the 30-54 age range (peaking in the 35-44 age group), as well as data revealing that early iPad users tend to be more affluent than typical Yahoo users.
As expected within the classic early-adopter profile, we identified a male skew in the 35-44 age group among these early users. In fact, among all users, men outnumber women 2:1. Given the economy, people with higher earning power were probably the first to buy the iPad. The first Yahoo! iPad users were 94% more likely to be affluent consumers with solid wealth and strong incomes than typical U.S. Yahoo! users.
In analyzing what iPad users are looking at on Yahoo's network, the company also found higher-than-average usage for Flickr, with Finance, News, and Sports also seeing heavy interest.

Possibly the most interesting piece of data from Yahoo's analysis is the observation that approximately of 10% of users are coming from outside the United States. Given that the iPad has only been made available in the U.S. and that Apple has taken steps such as limiting per-person orders and cutting off third-party services facilitating international orders, it appears that a relatively significant percentage of iPads are still making it out of the United States.
During the measurement period, the iPad has only been available for purchase in the U.S. market; however, we observe approximately 10% of IP traffic coming from Europe and Asia Pacific. Specifically, the U.K., France, and Germany are the top countries in Europe, and Taiwan and Hong Kong make up the most traffic in Asia Pacific.
Finally, Yahoo noted that nearly half of Yahoo iPad users own an iPhone and had visited Yahoo sites using the iPhone.

Article Link: Yahoo Examines iPad User Demographics and Trends, Finds 10% International Usage

Becordial

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
"significantly about the nearly 50-50 split seen for overall usage" appears to mean significantly above the 50-50 male-female split for overall Yahoo website users.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
I know they are fairly easy to get hold of in Saudi Arabia too, also at inflated prices. In fact i saw someone using one in Fudrukers in Rashid Mall, Al-Khobar just a few hours ago.

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
I use my iPad 90% time when I am just checking email or surfig the web...

Gilfanon

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
London town
I would say count me in on the international user front (thanks to my GF's recent visit to NYC) but I don't go anywhere near Yahoo... Worst thing about being a UK iPad owner (other than no localised apps and having to buy stuff via a US iTunes account and web-bought iTunes vouchers) is not being able to use it on the Underground for fear of being immediately mugged by hoodies (or desperate Apple fanbois).

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
Yahoo! had to research this? How many teenagers or 20 year-olds have an extra $500-$900 available for a new device like this. Secondly, if they did, what are the chances they actually went to Yahoo! for something?

musukosan

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Not that I think it accounts for 10%, but one thing to take into consideration is that US military live in Europe and Asia. Not to mention Americans do travel outside the US as well. LOL.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Hi,

Just this morning saw a guy in the hallway at work with one. I'm in Canada.

I tried not to stare...

s.

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
I went to a networking function at a local bar a few weeks ago here in Halifax, NS, Canada and there were about 5 iPads floating about... mine included :)

samtorosyan

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2010
I'm 23 years old and I use Yahoo.

You'd be suprised how popular yahoo is (mail/ messenger) among the college and high school kids. Most of my facebook friends have a @yahoo.com email address.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
People still use Yahoo?

I mean, early adopter, iPad owner types use Yahoo?

Weird.
Well the report does only give out percentages, not raw numbers. Also "early adopters" are not necessarily tech savvy, they just have disposable cash.

shervieux

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2010
This is funny....

I just thought of something. Didn't MS buy off or partner Yahoo's search engine to come up with Bing? and isn't MS throwing major money at yahoo right now.

I wonder how they feel about so many ipad (and not Windows browsers) using it. I bet Balmer is doing one of these.

CJM

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2005
U.K.
I know they are fairly easy to get hold of in Saudi Arabia too, also at inflated prices. In fact i saw someone using one in Fudrukers in Rashid Mall, Al-Khobar just a few hours ago.
English ex-pat, eh? What's it like living over there and what do you do?

keys

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2007
travelers?

Umm.. yeah. There is also this thing called air travel. I imagine with over one million of them sold.. a lot of business travelers use them internationally as well.

PandaOnslaught

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2010
i think women have figured out that this product is dumb before men have, which is odd because they like things like Ke$sha .....

al-c

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2009
London, UK
10% not a surprise

I picked mine up at the 5th avenue store the week after launch on a business trip. There seemed to be loads of people doing the same thing - staff were great and actually helped me set up a US iTunes account with my hotel address. Suspect the slipped international release has made a few more people tempted by the import route.

supmango

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
As a 28 year old male, I suspect the reason for these numbers is due to when Yahoo was replaced by Google as the search engine of choice. I switched, but most people I know who are older than me still use Yahoo regularly, and those younger than me would not even think about using it. I suspect it is more a function of this phenomenon than anything else.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68030
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Yea. This only speaks for ipad users who are given to visiting Yahoo.

I can't bring myself to go back there until their four main news stories are something more than what some ****** actress wore to a nightclub and somebody threw a basketball really far in a game.

Yahoo is trash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.