Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KennyJr

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2020
I can tell you from experience that watching a YouTube video at night and having the borders flicker like a disco party is indeed a problem.
Amazing! Eight of the folks here responded in a confirming way to this post. Yet, on my new iPhone 12 Pro Max I've tried watching Youtube videos with the brightness all the way down in a pitch black room and haven't been able to reproduce this flickering border issue. Please provide examples of the Youtube videos you folks are watching and maybe some of the rest of us can try those and see what all this upsetedness is about. One other thing, are y'all sure it's the iPhone that's causing the problem?

Last edited:

socceryo3

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2013
Amazing! Eight of the folks here responded in a confirming way to this post. Yet, on my new iPhone 12 Pro Max I've tried watching Youtube videos with the brightness all the way down in a pitch black room and haven't been able to reproduce this flickering border issue. Please provide examples of the Youtube videos you folks are watching and I'll try those and maybe see what all this upsetedness is about. One other thing, are y'all sure it's the iPhone that's causing the problem?

Well it's also been said that not all of the phones are suffering from this, so if yours isn't then that's a good thing.

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA
Got my replacement 12 today. Is it as white as my wife’s X? No, but it’s definitely an improvement. The screen has much less of a greener tint. I’m guessing if I had a display calibrator it would show a higher red RGB value. I think I’ll keep this one as it looks pretty good and I don’t really wanna go through the lottery again.

Some stats: Serial is DNQ, week 43. Screen serial is GH303...

Left is new iPhone, right is old. Both set to 50% brightness by siri.
View attachment 1689658

How do you find out serial for screen?

Reactions: scgf

callesw

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2014
Please, help me decide to keep it or not! :confused: I took some pictures to compare both screens, iPhone 12 PM (bigger) and iPhone X. To my eyes I can see the iPhone 12 Pro Max looks warmer than my iPhone X. But to my DSLR there is no so much difference. Bothe phone with TT off, auto-brightness off, screen brightness at 50%.

Information about my 2nd iPhone 12 pro max

Serial number: G0NDT******
Colour: Pacific Blue
Production year: 2020
Production week: 49 (December)

Other issues:
  • under 20% screen brightness, black areas when playing videos are lighted in the screen, not completely black (off pixels) as my iPhone X
  • Camera shadows issues. See the problem here:
Read my last two posts. To be honest, you have nearly the same phone as I have (based on your descriptions). I’ve been reading that D65 calibration will be warmer and made for viewing content. This is what I did to make the final decisionWatch a 4K video and if the colors pop more and don’t bother you, your eyes will adjust to the warm screen. Try for a few days, write down pros, cons, and make a decision.

making a decision will lower your stress, there will be times when you will feel the temptation to trade. All these people reporting white screens may not be as sensitive as we are. But trust me, you adapt to it, but making a decision is the first steps. Accept the new yellow tint as a fact (like when you accept that no one is perfect IRL).

finally: let Apple know that we don’t like the current calibration of the screens.

not too much help but maybe a few pointers

RdWing

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2016
Got my new 12 Pro in yesterday, ran a DisplayCal with the same settings as I did before. New serial starting in DNPDR.

I'm decently satisfied with this replacement. Side by side with my XS there's still some green tint, but also my XS apparently is red tinted. The original 12 Pro was egregious enough that I noticed it and searched for the problem, but when I woke up and looked at my phone it didn't immediately feel wrong. Will see if it gets better in a few months-hopefully those blues and greens soften a bit.

Congrats on finally getting a good screen! I provided CALMAN measurements of my 12PM earlier in this thread, but thought I'd run a new one in DisplayCAL to match yours. I also see the similar elevated levels of green in the gray balance. :(

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-10 192313.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-12-10 192313.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 95
  • Screenshot 2020-12-10 192400.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-12-10 192400.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 96

callesw

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2014
Congrats on finally getting a good screen! I provided CALMAN measurements of my 12PM earlier in this thread, but thought I'd run a new one in DisplayCAL to match yours. I also see the similar elevated levels of green in the gray balance. :(
Same here. I don’t have equipment, but there is a slight blue/green hue in greys. It seemed yellower than the xs Max I turned in. But I got used to it.

Now, the flickering in dark environment with blacks sucks but I’m hoping for a recall or software upgrade. Other than that, I’ve been happy with the battery and colors.

Bstephens

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2010
Please, help me decide to keep it or not! :confused: I took some pictures to compare both screens, iPhone 12 PM (bigger) and iPhone X. To my eyes I can see the iPhone 12 Pro Max looks warmer than my iPhone X. But to my DSLR there is no so much difference. Bothe phone with TT off, auto-brightness off, screen brightness at 50%.

Information about my 2nd iPhone 12 pro max

Serial number: G0NDT******
Colour: Pacific Blue
Production year: 2020
Production week: 49 (December)

Other issues:
  • under 20% screen brightness, black areas when playing videos are lighted in the screen, not completely black (off pixels) as my iPhone X
  • Camera shadows issues. See the problem here:
What app is that for screen test?

Erw88

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020
If it gets your display to where you are satisfied, then YES, it is very much a solution.

I’m not saying it works for everyone but in our cases, our brightness was about the same as our old phone but there was more of a yellowish tint. Nothing extreme.

So we have no reason to play a panel lottery when I can make our displays look as good as our prior phones, with a simple adjustment.

I’d love for them to just add more detailed adjustments to allow everyone to adjust their displays properly.
When the color filter is turned on, the other colors are faded and not so sharp, and at the same time the camera is inaccurate, etc. Just read this thread a little bit. If you don't mind just well

Reactions: smd25t

Chuck_IV

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2020
When the color filter is turned on, the other colors are faded and not so sharp, and at the same time the camera is inaccurate, etc. Just read this thread a little bit. If you don't mind just well

The accessibility color tint/hue(which is what most people have been using to adjust, not the RGB filters) has no effect on the camera shots. Don’t believe me, try it. Throw some wacky color filters/tints on your screen, take the same shot with and without them and look at them under the same viewing conditions. You will see the shots are the same.

Bottom line is, in our cases, our brightness is the same as my 11 was along with blacks are fine, it’s just a warmer look, like turning on warm1 on your tv vs neutral. Ours were able to be adjusted back to what our 11s looked like(we compared them side by side).

Now there are some that I have seen here and other places that are just bad and have more than a simple tint issue. The ones with the green in their blacks and lack of brightness should definitely be replaced.

xJohnyyx

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020
This True Tone thing is driving me nuts. For several days, it will work fine. Adapting to light conditions. Then it suddenly becomes stuck. I really hope this is part of the "fix" that's in the making.

RealPhone

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2012
This True Tone thing is driving me nuts. For several days, it will work fine. Adapting to light conditions. Then it suddenly becomes stuck. I really hope this is part of the "fix" that's in the making.
I've not encountered such problems.
TT adapts to the light conditions.
Although TT seems a bit aggressive as mentioned in earlier posts. Supposedly fixed in next SW update.

Reactions: Bstephens

blaugrana69

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
I've not encountered such problems.
TT adapts to the light conditions.
Although TT seems a bit aggressive as mentioned in earlier posts. Supposedly fixed in next SW update.
So TT is getting dialled down a bit in a software update ? Is this official ? Comparing my 12 Pro with a 11 Pro still in my possession - if I move from a lower lit position indoors to directly under a velux window for some natural light..and then back, it's really noticeable that the 12 Pro over does it on applying the TT comparative to the 11 Pro.

Reactions: Bstephens

agerly

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2020
Italy
Is it relevant to compare different types of screens technologies? like LCD and O-LED? I can see a lot of people here doing this. I think this is not the proper way (it's like comparing apples with oranges).

Yes, since one of the two ones is expected to be superior. You don't compare the technology but the capacity to reproduce colors and give the user a more pleasant experience

maurozen

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2020
Can someone confirm what I say:
12 pro and 12 pro max suffer from green and gray displays.
Do the 12 and 12 mini suffer from yellow displays?

My question is, if you want to go from mini to normal 12, is there a possibility that the 12 (non pro) is also yellow?

ps: I have a yellow mini

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
Amazing! Eight of the folks here responded in a confirming way to this post. Yet, on my new iPhone 12 Pro Max I've tried watching Youtube videos with the brightness all the way down in a pitch black room and haven't been able to reproduce this flickering border issue. Please provide examples of the Youtube videos you folks are watching and maybe some of the rest of us can try those and see what all this upsetedness is about. One other thing, are y'all sure it's the iPhone that's causing the problem?

i don't know which kind of test are you performing but

1) open this
2) pitch black room
3) brightess in the range 20/30 %
4) let the movie (full screen) move on for some minutes

let your yes get used the darkness.

Start gazing the screen and let us know

2/2 of my units do the same s**t with flickering

Reactions: jheeze

Amabile Ricci

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2020
i don't know which kind of test are you performing but

1) open this 2) pitch black room
3) brightess in the range 20/30 %
4) let the movie (full screen) move on for some minutes

let your yes get used the darkness.

Start gazing the screen and let us know

2/2 of my units do the same s**t with flickering
What iPhone models are they?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.