Yet another iPhone 5 case surfaces

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pooshka, Sep 20, 2011.

1. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

One more case, one more reason to believe.

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

That very easily seems like it could simply be a soon to be refreshed iPod Touch case...

3. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

If the new iPod has a mute switch then maybe.

4. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Highly doubt it.....why would they make a bigger touch and leave the ip4 the same size? Doesn't make sense to me......:D

5. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Not saying they won't make the iPhone screen/body larger... just that I don't know if the iPhone would really be made that thin... seems more like iPod Touch style thinness.

6. lukefinch macrumors 6502

lukefinch

What doesn't make sense to me is why you think Apple should not leave the 'ip4' screen the same size.

If they were going to make a larger screen, they'd add it to the iPhone 5 and not the 4.

7. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

3.8" screen

Completely non scientific analysis here but the new case appears to be approximately 12.5 cm and the iPhone matches up with about 11.5 (114mm is the actual length). That's approximately 8.5% bigger. A 8.5% bigger screen would equal about 3.8"

8. qtaran111 macrumors member

9. troop231 macrumors 603

Wow, all of the people on MR claiming it's going to be a iPod Touch need to stop. The iPod Touch's headphone jack is on the bottom, not the top, and also does not have a noise cancelling mic.

[​IMG]

10. dartrad macrumors newbie

dartrad

11. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

If we set aside the haters of Android & just look at how nice a larger display is, I think anything less than 4.0" is a mistake by Apple. Why bother to make such a small incremental size change ? I don't buy the argument about rewriting the Apps.

I've been using four sizes now for a few months.

3.5" / 4.0" / 4.3" / 4.5"

Of these four the only one that is exactly 16:9 widescreen size is 4.3".

It's a very nice choice. The physical size of the phone is not as significant as many would have you believe. It's like anything else, once you become used to it the phone works perfectly.

12. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

All of these cases are probably sourced to the same leaked document.

The only "case" rumor I put any faith in is the Case Mate one -- they went as far as doing full mock-ups for their website, and the fact that their products are actually sold in Apple Stores leads me to believe they are working on more than just a leaked source.

13. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Thanks for pointing that out troop231. Makes alot of sense now that I see it (noise cancelling mic) :)

14. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Have you seen how thin some of the recent phones are? I wouldn't be surprised if Apple finds a way to beat them....just like last year.

15. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

And...Assuming Apple did move the headphone jack to the top, and added a NCM to the touch...AND this case was in fact a touch case....THAT WOULD BE AWESOME NEWS!...Because Apple would never make an iPod Touch that would outshine the iPhone. SO, if this was a touch case that would mean the iPhone would be exactly the same, OR even better. The iPhone would never be less appealing...What are u guys thinking?

16. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

This back and forth is killing me!

Its wider, its the same, its not going to be a 5, its the 4S, its october, its september!

These two photos have me excited again! Id LOOoove a newly designed (*little* bit wider) phone.

17. aztooh macrumors 6502a

For the new iPhone to fit this case, it'd have to be half as thick as the 4...and even thinner as it gets to the bottom. I played with an Epic 4g Touch (GS2 on Sprint) last night and it's crazy thin. A device that fits this case would make it look fat.

As far as the case manufacturers having to be crazy to mass produce them without solid knowledge...they haven't massed produced jack! The cases on Alibaba are made on order, so they don't make them til they get paid.

I don't know why so many dismiss the iTouch theory. OMG the headphone jack is on top instead of bottom! So? They can't change it? Not every iPod has it's headphone jack on the bottom either. People believe Apple will change the phone to half the thickness, a tapered design and a larger screen but the iPod Touch can't have a relocated headphone jack?

18. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Did you not see the pics of the iP4 in the case? It's not 1/2 as thin.

19. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

20. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Look at post 10 in this thread again. At the top, virtually HALF of the iPhone 4 is over the lip of the case. And that's the THICK part. It's less than half as thick at the bottom. Obviously it's possible for the phone to get thinner, but not quite as thin as this (these) cases are portraying.

It's hard to really judge the new case in this thread, not a good picture with a phone in it. But (and the article accompanying this thread) the measurements don't add up. When they are aligned end to end on the ruler, they appear to be basically the same length.

21. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

Here's one reason I dismiss the iPod Touch theory.
    http://www.appleinsider.com/article...coming_white_ipod_touch_with_few_changes.html

22. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

I looked at the link in this post - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1231427

The exact dimensions of the "iPhone5" case are listed and I compared it to a similar iP4 case on their site (hard to say how close. It's not an Otterbox) and the math came out to be that the iP5 case is about 88% of the size of the iP4 case. Not 1/2.

23. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Nope, closer to 2/3.

24. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Almost half of the headphone jack is exposed. The case has a lip on it, indicating the phone fits entirely inside of the case...the actual space inside the case allows for about half the thickness of the current iPhone. And, again, that's at the thick end of the case...it gets thinner towards the bottom.

But, let's go ahead and say "2/3's". Current phone is 9.3mm thick. 2/3 of that is 6.2, yes? Is the camera unit alone that thin? I've said it in every other post with these cases, they are too thin to fit a phone. If the new phone is indeed only 6.2mm thick, I'll come eat crow. And that's your numbers...