Yoobao I-Slim iSlim iPad2 Case - just got it

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by gigaguy, Jul 21, 2011.

1. gigaguy, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

gigaguy macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aptly named the new Yoobao iSlim is slim, a hard (and very thin) back piece snaps on and is very minimal, maybe too much, tho seems secure in normal handling. leather, triple fold cover, unique flush rubber trim on 3 sides, on/off, very clean, open bezel.

Pluses are the thinness, always a must for me, fit quality, finish out, rubber edge an leather back insert, seamless, all well done. I like the matte leather, not $100 great, but not toxic, plasticky, or shiny. Holding in one hand with a rubber corner in the palm is much better than the seamed edge leather Yoobao I have. some added grip too but the rubber only covers the the slim edge and 1/2" on the top, bottom, and opening edge.

Minuses - mostly the hinge, very thin piece of 'leather', no backing or structure. flimsy, causes the flap to slide some in position. But no on/off triggering when folded back. some on/off triggering when closed, but just clicks, I do not see the iPad screen actually going on or off when I peak under the closed flap after I hear the clicks when I move the flap with my thumb.
    stand is ok in movie mode, typing mode is the now too-standard low angle, and not secure as I'd like.

For $28 I paid, I like it. but I'm a Yoobaoer. It's very attractive, slim, minimalist, and I like the matte leather look and feel. It's not gonna protect much on a corner drop. All the Yoobao pluses I like plus very open bezel, rubber trim. The rubber and leather meets in a very seamless and clean design. somehow seems thinner than my already thin leather Yoobao exec? cover with the seamed edges and bezel coverage. It mus be the clean edging that makes the iSlim seem thinner and more minimalist. The weak 'hinge' and front flap are the main faults. The from flap is well made and has stiff reinforcement panels, but the flimsy hinge is the issue. The finish and minimalism and integrated rubber are the standouts. This is a light duty case, not if you are a dropper!

2. bobright macrumors 601

Thanks for the review and write up gigaguy seems you been on a roll with cases and reviews lately nice :)

Im very interested in this particular one as it's really slim and seems perfect for what im looking for. The million dollar question though please tell me a full body shield would work with it? I hope so but im not holding my breathe

3. gigaguy, Jul 21, 2011

gigaguy thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, the corner clips are amazingly minimal, so I wonder if a back skin in the very corner areas might effect the corner clips. there is not much to the clips. I was amazed they even snapped shut and held. but seems tight, did not come off.

Actually I have a carbon fiber skin on the back, thicker than a clear skin, that covers up to about 1/8th from the edges, does not seem to effect the clips. THe clips snap off pretty easy when wanting to remove the case tho, but if I push against the trim near the corners to try to make it come off, the clips did not release.
    minimal is the word. again, the flimsy positioned flap is the biggest drawback. it moves a little just when grabbing it to pick up or carry. They did this to make it shut flat. there might be a way to stiffen the hinge, but anything applied to it is gonna have to stick well.

4. bobright macrumors 601

Thanks gig - where did you buy this case at?

I've searched in google but surprisingly can't seem to find anything?! All I come across is other variations for the iPad 1st gen

Also was this barely released?

5. gigaguy thread starter macrumors 65816

It's new from Yoobao. if you go to yoobao.com, click on Leather, and apple or iPad, I think, and its the first thing. you can see their info.
    I got it on ebaby pretty fast, I can PM you the seller. I am not publicly promoting any seller.

6. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

giga, would you mind PM'ing me the seller? Thanks~

7. sexytabitha macrumors regular

FYI ver 2 of this case is in production and will be ready in a few weeks, Yoobao is changing the Micro Fiber exterior to a higher quality material that doesn't get as dirty and nasty like the original apple case, dont know why people jump on the first versions of Yoobao cases, but just an FYI

8. gigaguy thread starter macrumors 65816

that makes no sense. microfiber problem? microfiber exterior? mine does not have that.

9. sexytabitha macrumors regular

What do you think the exterior material is? Leather? Wrong

This is the response i received when i contacted Yoobao about this case when i first seen pictures of it.

Hi, Tabitha
    Only black is available the leather is not real leather, it's the leather widely use in car seats and sofa, it's a very durable material. But thinking about USA users are very picky to YOOBAO, We're going to make a better material on this case and then start to sell USA, so far, we just start to sell new slim case to like Russia east Europe countries.I'm Still waiting the market voice.

10. gigaguy, Jul 21, 2011

I like the exterior. we'll see. they advertise it as Leather on their site, but then lower down says Micro-fiber. thanks for correcting that. they shouldn't describe it as Leather, but it does feel better than the Apple1 case.

sad, if they are more worried about scratches than the hinge design. If it had mag closure it would be great, to secure the flap. They should add that. I'm tempted to cut the flap off and use my black Apple smart cover with it. I really like the thin back shell design, smooth rubber edges, and open bezel.

11. sexytabitha macrumors regular

i wasnt trying to say it wasnt nice just trying to throw it out there, i always go straight to the horses mouth. thats why i go to alibaba.com and email manufactures prior to buying. I only know 2 honest sellers that dont mislead but ebay sellers use the word leather on everything, thats why i ask. they have a leather spray that is used now, kind of like asking for the new car sent at the car wash. you cant buy real leather for $28

12. gigaguy thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks Tab, I edited my post that you quoted. I did see it mostly for over $40, so I thought it was the 'L' word. I was going by the Yoobao website bold type info. ebay seller just copied the Yboo info.
    I wish the flap was more secure. the only drawback for me.

13. sexytabitha macrumors regular

no prob i guess i just do too much research when i purchase. But the wheat colored cowhide chinao is still at the top of my now 5 case list.

14. gigaguy thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes Lauren likes that too. Do you have it?
    I'm very curious on the rubber edged iCarer similar to this Yoobao but with a tongue flap. If it's as thin as the Yboo, I can see why iCarer used a closure, but magnetic seems more ideal and less obtrusive. The tongue reminds of an early iPad1 fave from Macally I had, Bookstand I think,. I liked it 'cept for the tongue stuck out!

15. sexytabitha macrumors regular

yes i have it and its the best case yet,

16. borka105 macrumors newbie

Can you please let me know if the front cover stays shut like the apple smart cover or is it loose like the executive yoobao cases (i.e. how strong are the magnets that hold the front cover shut to the screen?)?

Thanks!

17. gigaguy thread starter macrumors 65816

THis yoobao does not have magnetic closure, only on/off feature. turned upside down the flap stays shut for a few seconds and then opens, it is not a secure closure.

18. batman75 macrumors 6502

19. bobright macrumors 601

That's a bit troubling, so its got no magnets at all?

Does it flop around a lot causing it to swing open everywhere, where its a nuisance?

20. batman75 macrumors 6502

The Melkco has strong magnets. You can hold it upside down, shake it and still the cover won't open. The flip side is that if you fold the cover back in the wrong position, it will switch off the screen. But it hasn't been an annoyance to me so far.

I think many companies have opted for the weaker magnets to avoid this screen switch off issue.

21. gigaguy, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

The Yoobao has magnets for the auto on/off function. It does not have magnetic Closure that I can see. As I posted before the flap stays down but not that securely.
    The weak Hinge material is my main issue. It causes the front flap to shift around when closed when you hold it in your hand. It is not that secure, Don;t know how else to say it.
    I prefer the 2 fold, tuck in back style flaps too. they are more secure in stand modes, and usually a higher typing angle.
    Magnetic closure would be great on this case, but it flops open easily if you hold it upside down. The overall materials and feel of this case I like, but the hinge and flap are drawbacks for ME. This case is nice cosmetically, but not secure enough. also one clip keeps coming loose, BUT I have a thick carbon skin on the back of my iPad, surely effecting the fit of this very thin case. The case bottom does not feel lose tho, the other 3 clips seem to hold it tight.
    It takes a few days to evaluate case. This case feels nice, I like the materials and the slimness tho.

22. sexytabitha macrumors regular

i just pre ordered on of these i too have a carbon fiber skin on the back of my iPad. How bad is it?

23. gigaguy thread starter macrumors 65816

wow, I can't believe you ordered it, I thought a lot of people defected to Chinao from Yoobao. My first yoobao (leather exec, ver 2) is still my go to case. I have the red and black ver2 when they were $16.

anyway, this Yoobao iSlim felt pretty snug, but after a while I noticed one corner clip was unclipped. My main gripe tho, is the front flap flimsy fit and the weak typing stand. Doesn't the Apple smart cover magnetically fold into a secure stand, this one does not hold together like that. The flap also slides around too much when closed for me. All of this I posted, and I returned it. but I liked the feel of the materials, the finish, and the slimness.
    still wanting to try the similar iCarer with a tongue latch and secure stand design. hmm.

24. sexytabitha macrumors regular

oh well i ordered the new version with magnetic closure so if the skin needs to go thats fine as i have not used my smart cover since i got the CHINAO wheat case but as much as i love it its just too pretty to use all the time.

25. gigaguy thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh, I didn't know there was a mag close version out. I wonder if this improves the fold security when in typing mode.