Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petsk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
Anyone else having trouble with 10.10 and Time Capsule/Airport Extreme?

My MBA refuse to connect to the backup (and shared) drive after I upgraded to 10.10/10.10.1. Working fine on my iMac with 10.8.

If I open Airport utility the TC can't be found. If I repeatedly (many times) open and close the Airport utility and try to connect the shared drive with Finder I eventually get the drive mounted and Airport utility finds the TC.

Console error:
24-11-2014 19:25:25,618 NetAuthSysAgent[12390]: DNSAddressResolver:Resolve CFNetServiceResolveWithTimeout failed
24-11-2014 19:25:25,618 NetAuthSysAgent[12390]: ERROR: AFP_GetServerInfo - connect failed 64

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

My MBA refuse to connect to the backup (and shared) drive after I upgraded to 10.10/10.10.1. Working fine on my iMac with 10.8.

If I open Airport utility the TC can't be found. If I repeatedly (many times) open and close the Airport utility and try to connect the shared drive with Finder I eventually get the drive mounted and Airport utility finds the TC.

Console error:
24-11-2014 19:25:25,618 NetAuthSysAgent[12390]: DNSAddressResolver:Resolve CFNetServiceResolveWithTimeout failed
24-11-2014 19:25:25,618 NetAuthSysAgent[12390]: ERROR: AFP_GetServerInfo - connect failed 64

Are you choosing it from the Finder Sidebar or connecting via the "Connect to Server" menu?

petsk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
I'm using the Finder Sidebar. Using the "Connect to Server" menu actually seems to work better, thanks for the tip.

What's the difference between them?

Airport Utility still having problems finding the TC however.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I'm using the Finder Sidebar. Using the "Connect to Server" menu actually seems to work better, thanks for the tip.

What's the difference between them?

Airport Utility still having problems finding the TC however.

I am thinking this is a Yosemite problem as my newly updated MacBook Pro is experiencing similar issues.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Mine backs up fine, but it's slow as hell. My 75 Mb/s connection barely hits 25 Mb/s on my iMac, while the Linksys I tried routinely hit 75-80 Mb/s. No idea what's going on with it, but it's killing me.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
FWIW, I am not experiencing any notable issues with Yosemite and my Time Capsule.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

Console error:

I have the same issue with my 2012 Mac mini on Yosemite. My new 5K iMac also has issues. Most of the time neither can find the backup disk on my AC Time Capsule. The Mac mini won't even show the Time Capsule disk in the list of disks, despite being flawlessly connected to its wifi network.

I even reset the Time Capsule, and the issue persists.

Yosemite is certainly a mess when it comes to this sort of thing.

Doga

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2003
Near Montréal, Canada
This has been driving me nuts since the release of Yosemite as well - but I've found that by opening Airport Utility (maybe opening & quitting AU several times until it finally finds Time Capsule) and leaving AU open once TC has been found, TC stays found and backups occur when they should. YMMV of course but this has been working for me.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
This has been driving me nuts since the release of Yosemite as well - but I've found that by opening Airport Utility (maybe opening & quitting AU several times until it finally finds Time Capsule) and leaving AU open once TC has been found, TC stays found and backups occur when they should. YMMV of course but this has been working for me.

Yes, this works. It's interesting that sometimes I can open Airport Utility and it shows my Time Capsule with an exclamation point because it can't find it. Then closing and reopening finds it it, and then my backups are now working correctly.

Well done, sir.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
And hey, leaving Airport Utility up is indeed still working. My 5K iMac has been backing up with no trouble since then. Oh Yosemite... it would be good if you worked properly. :)

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Although I said earlier that I have had no problems, I did noticed today for the first time that Time Machine on my Macbook claimed that it could not find the Time Capsule. Other Macs had no such issues. I rebooted and it was fine again.

A.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Although I said earlier that I have had no problems, I did noticed today for the first time that Time Machine on my Macbook claimed that it could not find the Time Capsule. Other Macs had no such issues. I rebooted and it was fine again.

A.

Yep, rebooting fixes it until the next time it doesn't work. Yosemite needs patching.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
I was having a problem with Time Capsule not backing up. An error message, disk could not be found was displayed. After many attempts to resolve the issue and as a last resort I pushed the reset button on Time Capsule. Time Capsule works fine now. I am also using Yosemite that I downloaded the fist day it became available of download.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I was having a problem with Time Capsule not backing up. An error message, disk could not be found was displayed. After many attempts to resolve the issue and as a last resort I pushed the reset button on Time Capsule. Time Capsule works fine now. I am also using Yosemite that I downloaded the fist day it became available of download.

That didn't solve my issue at all when I tried it.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I get the same "cannot find disk" error with my 4th generation Time Capsule under Yosemite, though selecting the disk seems to fix it (until it fails again, of course).

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I get the same "cannot find disk" error with my 4th generation Time Capsule under Yosemite, though selecting the disk seems to fix it (until it fails again, of course).

I *think* I finally solved the issue by deleting the iMac backup and my Mac mini backup (both Yosemite upgrades). Now both have been backing up for about a week without issues.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I *think* I finally solved the issue by deleting the iMac backup and my Mac mini backup (both Yosemite upgrades). Now both have been backing up for about a week without issues.

And after 8 days or so of no issues, we're back to not backing up again. *sigh*

graham86

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2014
London, United Kingdom
Got the same issue.

Worked fine on an iMac via ethernet but now using a MBP via WIFI.

It works for a few hours after a reboot before stopping, turning the wifi off/on fixes it for 5min.

Apple support have been very little help, got me to change the WIFI DNS to OpenDNS thinking that would fix it...

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Got the same issue.

Worked fine on an iMac via ethernet but now using a MBP via WIFI.

It works for a few hours after a reboot before stopping, turning the wifi off/on fixes it for 5min.

Apple support have been very little help, got me to change the WIFI DNS to OpenDNS thinking that would fix it...

Why would they ever think changing the DNS would have any effect on this?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Your guess is as good as mine, I've got an open case with them so will report back that it failed.

I've found a correlation between Airport Utility and Time Machine backups to the Time Capsule from my 5K iMac. I've noticed that when the backup fails to find the disk (or, more irritatingly, doesn't give me ANY message at all of failure), if I open Airport Utility at that point there's no green dot next to my Time Capsule. If I turn wifi off and then back on, I usually get the green dot next to my Time Capsule again in Airport Utility. At that point I can close Airport Utility completely and my backups will start working.

There's no doubt in my mind there's some Yosemite issue here.

graham86

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2014
London, United Kingdom
I've found a correlation between Airport Utility and Time Machine backups to the Time Capsule from my 5K iMac. I've noticed that when the backup fails to find the disk (or, more irritatingly, doesn't give me ANY message at all of failure), if I open Airport Utility at that point there's no green dot next to my Time Capsule. If I turn wifi off and then back on, I usually get the green dot next to my Time Capsule again in Airport Utility. At that point I can close Airport Utility completely and my backups will start working.

There's no doubt in my mind there's some Yosemite issue here.

I noticed the same thing, turning wifi off/on only fixes it for a few minutes for me.

I see there is a new OS X beta out so maybe there will be a fix soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.